Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 167925 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »

•EMP Emitter can no longer hit the command shuttle

Wouldn't it be more interesting if the command shuttle could be hit, or even destroyed? It'd add some risks of trying to transfer into the middle of a battle.

It's basically a fancy UI element. What could the game reasonably do when your shuttle got destroyed? Let you launch another shuttle from its charred hulk, perhaps, like a molting space lobster?

In all seriousness, you could probably could make a fun subgame out of it, though you'd have to do a lot more than just make it damageable. The question is, why? The reason the shuttle exists is to move you between ships - a necessary gameplay mechanic, but not one that sees a lot of use. I don't think building out gameplay surrounding it would be a wise use of time.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »

Tempest and Onslaught updates sound very nice! Any chance the other drone-deploying ships will get the ability to slowly regenerate drones in-combat?

Thanks! :)

The Tempest is an attack ship, and the drone is meant to be a key part of its offensive arsenal - and it's exposed to danger often.

Other drone-using ships either use them for an intermittent, stop-gap defense that's meant to be limited in nature (Gemini, Astral) or have drones that are easy to protect (Apogee - the holding pattern is well inside the shields, and recalling the drones is very quick).

so
will us modders be able to give the other ships drone regen? or is this a hardcoded thing?

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »

Tempest and Onslaught updates sound very nice! Any chance the other drone-deploying ships will get the ability to slowly regenerate drones in-combat?

Thanks! :)

The Tempest is an attack ship, and the drone is meant to be a key part of its offensive arsenal - and it's exposed to danger often.

Other drone-using ships either use them for an intermittent, stop-gap defense that's meant to be limited in nature (Gemini, Astral) or have drones that are easy to protect (Apogee - the holding pattern is well inside the shields, and recalling the drones is very quick).

so
will us modders be able to give the other ships drone regen? or is this a hardcoded thing?
You can already have regenerating drones, just give the system a value under the "regen" column in the CSV.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »

That Terminator Drone sounds like it could take on most fighter craft 1v1 (or 2-4v1, as it were). Will it require supplies to replace, like a fighter?

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »

with the new build-in weapons thing, i think sunder's large energy slot is a likely candidate for receiving that change. i strongly hope it does NOT get that change, the large slot on the sunder really defines what the ship is right now, but also allow you to customize the ship for specializations. a lot people seem to enjoy flying a sunder with a HIL but i enjoy having a autopulse on it instead, which makes it almost a completely different ship.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »

Can we get a screenshot of those Thermal Pulse Cannons? :D

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »

with the new build-in weapons thing, i think sunder's large energy slot is a likely candidate for receiving that change. i strongly hope it does NOT get that change, the large slot on the sunder really defines what the ship is right now, but also allow you to customize the ship for specializations. a lot people seem to enjoy flying a sunder with a HIL but i enjoy having a autopulse on it instead, which makes it almost a completely different ship.

I don't think the Sunder is a candidate, it's balanced around being a heavy energy weapon platform and already has plenty of drawbacks. I'm guessing the Onslaught got the TPCs as fixed weapons because they're going to be energy weapons (while the Mjolnir uses energy damage it doesn't benefit from the flux supercharge because its mount is ballistic) and large energy mounts on an Onslaught would just not fit the ship's design.

Now what I'm wondering is whether the TPCs will detach from the Onslaught if you kill it, i.e. will you be able to salvage the TPCs when you defeat one and stick them on other ships?

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2012, 11:56:25 PM »

Now what I'm wondering is whether the TPCs will detach from the Onslaught if you kill it, i.e. will you be able to salvage the TPCs when you defeat one and stick them on other ships?
I don't think so. Those bulid in weapons are made no to be salvage-able.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2012, 04:44:34 AM »

?Equipped with specialized, high-frequency/short range phase skimmer

If phase skimmer and cloak can simultaneously fit on a drone sized ship, does that mean there will eventually be *GASP* phase-skimming, cloaked, torpedo bombers?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:34:11 AM by goduranus »

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2012, 06:18:31 AM »

For the built-in weapons, are the sprites going to be on the actual ship, or standard weapon sprites? If the former, will that make ships animateable for stuff like built-in chainguns or ridiculously oversized artillery?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2012, 06:41:39 AM »

So far, Alex has said the TPC uses the Onslaught sprite as a base, but David is whipping up something special for it. :)

Oh, and will there be an update to Codex any time in the near future?  I find myself using it when I get into a battle with the odd ship I don't remember everything about, and almost all the time in modding to see my work without having to add it to a mission or campaign.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2012, 07:08:12 AM »

Yay, the front page has been updated somewhat
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »

Does the AI know how that disabled hulls can be used as cover for venting?

Recently, I observed a situation where a Paragon with 2/3 full flux capacity, controlled by AI, was fighting against an Onslaught with empty flux capacity. No other hostiles on the field. Just at that moment, a disabled hull of a Dominator floats by and cuts line of sight between the two Capital ships. Its lateral speed is slow enough such that even with its slow strafing movement, the Paragon could have hidden for almost 10 seconds behind the Dominator before emerging from cover.

The Paragon does not use this opportunity to vent flux.

Is this supposed to happen?

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »

Alex, is there any chance we could have the LShift function to speed up time in the battle screen as well? Sometimes I find myself wanting one when I'm trying to make it from one side of the map to the other.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »

i dont get the onslaught change  ???
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23