Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 167896 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »

Power can't be balanced around an easily farmable currency - price tags can only balance the amount of time it takes to get the item you want. Any noob in a Wolf can fly around picking off lone pirate ships and eventually save up for a Hyperion. It needs the FP cost increase to keep that noob from having a fleet of 14 of them due to the fact that he simply farmed easy fleets till he got enough money. (Yes, I know stations won't be selling that many but you get what I am saying)

Alex has stated the Hyperion's power is cruiser level so it needs the FP cost of a cruiser. The price tag is nearly meaningless since money is so easily obtained in the current campaign.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »

Power can't be balanced around an easily farmable currency - price tags can only balance the amount of time it takes to get the item you want. Any noob in a Wolf can fly around picking off lone pirate ships and eventually save up for a Hyperion. It needs the FP cost increase to keep that noob from having a fleet of 14 of them due to the fact that he simply farmed easy fleets till he got enough money. (Yes, I know stations won't be selling that many but you get what I am saying)

Alex has stated the Hyperion's power is cruiser level so it needs the FP cost of a cruiser. The price tag is nearly meaningless since money is so easily obtained in the current campaign.

Uh so what?  People grind stuff all the time, trying to make that harder can just create other issues.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »

So you want to be able to break the game by having WAY TOO MANY overpowered ships simply because you sat on your arse and mindlessly killed the same easy crap over and over?

No thanks.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »

Uh so what?  People grind stuff all the time, trying to make that harder can just create other issues.

You basically just repeated Dri's point lol. He's saying that increasing cost won't do it because you can always just grind for it. FP is however a finite quantity.

[Edit] Ninja'd

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »

Hey, more patches!  Why do these smaller ones always slip my radar?
Holy...the Elite Enforcer is going to be a tough nut to crack.  Just like the ones that the rest of use use.  :o
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:36:44 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 07:51:17 PM »

Also another thing, can you figure out why the Onslaught with an Omnishield Emitter and Annihilator rockets keeps pointing shields in the wrong way?

I'm going to guess it's because the Onslaught is so big, and the Annihilator pods are so far back in the body, that they become "armed" and generally dangerous to anything very close to the edge of the shield radius. Perhaps the AI is moving shields in the direction the rockets are coming from as a result.

Also, the Elite Enforcer is going to be dangerous. I generally run a solo enforcer with 2x HVD, 1x Mauler, 2x Flak, and Annihilators as my first purchased flagship, and can take on an awful lot of ships without issue. Plus, in multiples they get even nastier; they already support each other very well, and add Burn Drive with some really dangerous weaponry = ouch!

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »

So you want to be able to break the game by having WAY TOO MANY overpowered ships simply because you sat on your arse and mindlessly killed the same easy crap over and over?

No thanks.

That's how most RPG's work.  Starfarer is an RPG and RTS rolled into one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvnsBaY-h-U&feature=player_detailpage#t=951s

Explanation.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:01:35 PM by JamesRaynor »

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »

I don't think TB is arguing against the same thing. TB as far as I can tell is arguing against scaling difficulty to the player's skill. Dri's arguing against grinding leading to breaking the game. Those are two different things.

HoustonWebster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »

Tempest need more FP too, my elite Hyperion lose battle in 1v1 with regular Tempest

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 12:07:15 AM »

This is just to balance out the bugfix where it was getting a square of the flux damage boost :) So it's not technically a buff. The AM blaster was hardest-hit by this bugfix because frigates firing it generally almost maxed out flux and benefited from a high flux bonus.

And how about heavy blaster? It seems to be in a very similar position.

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 12:36:55 AM »

I like how the changes are looking.
Keep up the great work :)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 02:51:24 AM »

Power can't be balanced around an easily farmable currency - price tags can only balance the amount of time it takes to get the item you want. Any noob in a Wolf can fly around picking off lone pirate ships and eventually save up for a Hyperion. It needs the FP cost increase to keep that noob from having a fleet of 14 of them due to the fact that he simply farmed easy fleets till he got enough money. (Yes, I know stations won't be selling that many but you get what I am saying). In addition, is a "noob" as you call it farms money to get these hyperions, when he gets them what happens when he starts losing them? Unless he has found a way to make money with the hyperions then he's going to be right back where he started. This is called investment, and you seem to not understand this concept at all as its consistent throughout the entire game.

You're arguing within an incomplete campaign. FP is the same, an incomplete mechanic. Remember that eventually FP will be capped at 50 with skills to move you up to 100 (meaning you'll be able to grind for FP to a point). I don't like a frigate taking up so much FP, that was the hyperion's main advantage, high power in low FP. Also, you forget maintence costs, and its low cargo, fuel, extra personell counts also act as balancing factors vs cruisers. Its very dependent on other ships for supplies.

You're entire  argument basically hinges on money being completely irrelevant which makes no sense at all, so...

To top it off, we need to take into account actual non combat and combat effectiveness. Or do you think the atlas should be made 2 fp because thats it's combat worth?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:03:45 AM by Mattk50 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

Alright, this is getting a bit OT. If you want to continue this discussion, a new thread - in the "Discussions" section - might be a better place for it.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »

Fair enough. To get things back on rails:

Improved broadside AI
How much more improved exactly?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »

Not *that* much, but there are (considerably, I think) less cases where it'd still point the nose at the enemy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23