Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] STARSECTOR Ship&Weapon Editor (v2.7.4)  (Read 387265 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Trylobot's ship editor (2.4.5)
« Reply #315 on: August 21, 2012, 07:18:27 AM »

Heyas, tried this out and I love it, especially the Mirror feature and zooming; just a couple of hopefully-minor things that I'd like to see improved:

Spoiler
1.  If you edit a CSV, it consolidates the CSV, getting rid of blank lines I've left to keep myself organized.  Can you get it to respect blanks, and, if we assign a ship an index number that is +1 for a sequence (say, 212, which would put it right after Vanilla's Shade) can it insert the line right after that number?  Both changes would save some manual editing.

2.  I love how this loads the custom mod data; if you've edited a mod before, can you make it save that and prompt the user whether they want to "keep working on your mod" and if they click yes, then reload the mod data?  Would save some clicks every time we load up.

3.  When it's time to be picky and get everything down to final adjustments, it'd be nice to be able to edit the numbers for things like weapon placement manually, which doesn't seem to be possible atm (sorry if there's a way, I just couldn't figure it out).  It'd also be nice if, when zoomed, it shows me the placement position as exactly as possible.

4.  Engine width in-game is maybe half the width that it appears in the editor.  It'd be nice to have a superimposed flame in Preview that was close to the in-game scale, look and size to make sure that's a good fit.  Just a minor issue ofc, but it's one or two more trips through the editing cycle and reloading the game :)

5.  It'd be really handy to have a preview of a phase ship in phased and unphased mode.

Anyhow, this is great, really looking forward to a PROJ / WPN editing mode :)
[close]
Some fantastic ideas I must say, maybe the ability to preview the ship with its weapons, that'd be handy
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 21, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »

I've got a suggestion too.

Donate button.

I'm flattered! ~T
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:30:26 PM by Trylobot »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #317 on: August 21, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »

Added some To-Do's. Thanks for the input!

Heyas, tried this out and I love it, especially the Mirror feature and zooming; just a couple of hopefully-minor things that I'd like to see improved:

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #318 on: August 21, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

@xenoargh: Regarding the automatic reloading of custom mod data; this is already the case. If you're having to re-pick the mod folders every startup, it most likely means the editor is not able to save its settings file.

If you're running this from "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", move it somewhere else. Like the Desktop or to the Starfarer folder. It has to be able to save its settings file (and a log file as well), and it always saves it adjacent to the program's executable.

If you're not doing that but still getting the prompts, can you reply and attach your sf-ship-ed-settings.json file and *.log file?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:40:19 AM by Trylobot »

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »

Sent you a tenner, I've had issues with PayPal in the past, can you confirm?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »

@Trylobot:  I got it working, sorry to bother you about that issue :)

A couple more little things that came up:

1.  I'm finding it difficult to set up Variants with multiple weapon groups / linked / alternating / autofire.  What's the right workflow?

2.  When loading a new Graphic, I don't suppose it could bring up a prompt about whether or not we'd like to start a new .ship, and if so, auto-update the Variant data?  For example, Alex uses a standard naming convention of "name_of_hull", "name_of_hull_name_of_Variant", so if we've uploaded a new graphic, the prompt would ask if I want to start a new ship, if yes, then erase all the current weapons, hit polygon etc., and would auto-name the Variant to reflect that.  So, for example, if I name the new ship's hull "kestrel", a new, blank Variant would be started with "kestrel" and "kestrel_Standard", so that we don't have to remember to re-type all that stuff.  Sorry if this is a major pain to code, it's just a workflow thing :)

Other than these two minor things, I'm really loving this program, it's made working with new ships mainly about text tweaks and getting the graphics ready :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »

Variants with multiple weapon groups / linked / alternating / autofire
Admittedly, it's not obvious. I'm working on ways to make this better. But here's what I reccomend in the current release version:
  Click to assign all your weapons to slots;
  Press G to assign all the weapons to Groups;
  Press A (while still in Groups mode) to toggle between Autofire modes for the group to which the highlighted weapon belongs;
  Esc out of that and press T to choose Linked/Alternating for each of the groups (up to 5).

When loading a new Graphic ... new .ship, ... auto-update the Variant data ... workflow thing :)
Definitely. Added a to-do for this.

Something to note also is that when you load images and variants and ships and so on, it already (to some degree) sets the ids of various things to match the conventions you mentioned. I just don't have anything tied to the "load image" event specifically. But definitely good ideas here.

Thanks for the input! And I'm glad it's helping you be more productive.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #322 on: August 22, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »

Latest Changes

Enjoy

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2012, 12:49:51 AM »

when is the weapon editor due?
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2012, 03:09:50 AM »

Trylobot in variant mode when click on weapon slot you get list of weapons but when you click on any weapon list of weapon stays... I switch between weapons but list stays...
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2012, 04:21:36 AM »

Another minor issue:

If you've defined a .ship that has BUILT_IN weapons and assign said weapons, the next .ship you build will have the BUILT_IN weapons assigned, even if you've wiped out all of the weapon slots. 

This would get resolved by the "do you want to start a new ship" dialogue idea.  Just thought I'd mention that it's happening, as it causes crashes if they were assigned to weapon slots that no longer exist, which may mystify some people :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 23, 2012, 04:36:51 AM »

Small "bug": If you build a ship, then its variant, then you go back to ship editor and remove a gun, back to the variant editor, save both (all slots are correctly filled with guns), it seems everything's ok but that variant is actually broken because it still count the removed weapon as existing.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 23, 2012, 05:52:23 AM »

Sorry, I don't actually understand how to set up Built-In weapons.

I've made a turret slot, set it as built-in and when I hit 'U' there's... nothing. No dialog, nothing to click. Am I missing something really obvious?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 23, 2012, 08:19:38 AM »

Well, this isn't your life's work (or is it?), so take your time.  I find that showing the wing formation is already a bit too much for me to use, but it's nice nonetheless.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 23, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »

Trylobot - In the ship variant screen, when I press H for hull mods, nothing happens any more. Is this idiosyncratic to my installation or version-wide?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44