Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] STARSECTOR Ship&Weapon Editor (v2.7.4)  (Read 387220 times)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Trylobot's ship editor (2.4.5)
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »

Im sorry for the double post, but i dont know, if this has been brought up yet - for soem reason my editor all of a sudden started naming weapon slots(IDs) instead of WS 1, WS 2 etc.. like WS00001 and WS00002 etc... ever since Ive been stuck with it and i get a "slot is null - make sure weapon slot id is correct", problem is, even renaming the slots to the native format doesnt fix this. ..

How did this happen in first place ? (I know it had to be me doing some magic, by total accident, but im  totally unaware of...  ::) )

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2012, 06:01:43 PM »

I did change the naming to be similar to the native format, but it shouldn't have caused any problems. Can you tell me more? Did you get the error from the editor, or from Starfarer? Do you have a *.ship file that will reliably reproduce the problem?

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 11, 2012, 04:15:30 AM »

Hey Try, I have made a topic about this problem I had (Here). Ive solved it by simply making a new .ship file and then .variants from it, with the latest version and everything is Ok. I sadly already got rid of the old files, but when i have time I will try to download my own demo and use the files in there and do, what i did last time and see, if i get the same result - sadly i dont remember exactly what I did the first time around.

It seems to me, that there may be a problem if you open an old .ship file with the latest version (whichever started to rename the WS in 000XX format) and "temper" with it. By tempering I mean deleting, adding new/old WS. But I cannot confirm it, its just a hunch.  :)

Edit - Managed to get the same error, when you try to make a new .variant, from a "clean" .ship file and overwrite the old .variant (that you may leave behind). Just a tip  -delete all the unused avriants, if your gonna name other variants the same way. Do not just over-write - will for some reason leave most WS blank, but will count all the OP - like the ship had the weapons, but the slots are empty.

Edit II - for consisntency Im adding a post I made in the original error report topic.

Spoiler
Ive already replied in your editor topic, we should keep it in one place, in case anyone runs into same problem. I already posted, what I found there. I honestly dont know, WHAT causes the problem.

But I did get the same error today, while making a new ship. (aka no old X new version of the editor conflict would have anything to do with it) -

My work flow is allways the same.

I set the Center of the ship

Set the shields.

Bound polygons.

Add engines (edit engines  right, after their placed)

Add weapons slots (first add all of them, then point, then set the weapon arcs.

Preview - Ship details, set the ID, name etc.

Done.

Exactly like this I make every ship and today I got a the same error. So I redid everything (deleted ship files, started over). Once I made the variants I saved it over and old variant(from the first attempt), which had the same name (forgot to delete  it - just this one). So I over-written it. And.. then got another error, about the variant. SO I checked and as I stated in your topic-  it had the OP 155/155, but had only two weapons on it. So I deleted the variant and made a new one - that worked.

So conclusion - I cannot reproduce the "glitch" that causes this behaviour. But its either a bad corruption from the ship file (last time making new and new variants from the "corrupted" .ship file gave me the same resulting error). Or it can (also) be problem while saving/creating the variant.

But its very strange, that Im the only one reporting this.. (could be my bad - but as I say, i use the above method over and over..)

D.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:51:10 PM by MrDavidoff »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #243 on: July 11, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »

OK I'll look into this; sounds like it's consistent enough to be a legitimate bug.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2012, 02:12:15 AM »

Ive tried to reproduce the first error - did not happen this time.

You can try, maybe youll be lucky. The first time Ive noticed I accidently put two small WS on top of each other at the front of the Vulture. So I went to the editor and removed it form the ship file - and thus got the error. (the Vulture was made by older version, I reopened it in the newest).

And this time - no problem, the game would crash either once you howered mouse over the mission window or displaying the vulture variant.

Sorry I wasnt much of a help, next time Ill send you the files as soon as it happens.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »

Ah. Yes, deleting weapon slots from a ship will definitely cause problems in the associated variant. That's by design. So perhaps, no bug on this issue in particular?

In any case, let me know if you do see it or anything like it again.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »

2.2 seems fine to me, any problems I've run into with the ship editor were attributed to user error

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2012, 05:17:00 AM »

Like i said before - weird noone would have run into it, so it might have been soemthing i managed to pull out unintetionally. About the weapon slots - its possible that last time i was unlucky and deleted a WS, that was used by the variant, this time i tried - i was lucky - got rid of the "empty" one - so no error there. However, still dont know, why all other variants made after deelteing the old WS gave same error. Otherwise Im happy for the editor  :)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 25, 2012, 02:29:56 AM »

Oki, check these out.

Link

Edit -

Hmm.. weird, the ship file cannot be opened again in Trys editor (crashes it-closes instantly), crashes the game (gives the error as in the log), but I found out, that its caused by putting "" marks in the name of the ship. (not the ID, but name of the ship - it didnt have this problem, when I was making the ship the first time, just a heads up).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:17:00 AM by MrDavidoff »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 02, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »

Updating for ship systems?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

Lol 0.53a was literally just released :D

Yes I'll update and release the new editor in the next 48 hours or so  ;D

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »

Yea, I know.  Just want to make sure. ;D
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »

I had an idea, which i believe could be rather useful, A mission editor

Whereby, you load the custom mod data, if you had any(By the way you may wish to add a way to clear that using the editor's GUI)
You set the dimensions of the battlefield
You then either drag and drop in nebula/Asteroids Etc, or you just do it the same way with the weapon slots and such, but add a preview screen you can use, to view what it would look like in game, The coding (In extreme theory) Shouldnt be too hard i think, but i know not of that sort of thing yet
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »

I can't believe it, Trylobot your editor has the power to update itself.  It already added all the ship system information (SYSTEM weapon slot, in both the weapons and .cvs) and the phase .cvs slot.  The phase .png for the .ship file is the only thing missing.  Congratz!

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »

The phase.png thing isn't even needed. Just have the phase glows called <shipsprite>_glow1.png and <shipsprite>_glow2.png, with <shipsprite> being the name of the ship file itself, without the file extension, and in theory that should work
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44