Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] STARSECTOR Ship&Weapon Editor (v2.7.4)  (Read 387209 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Trylobot's ship editor (2.4.5)
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »

Oh-ra, baby!  Thanks for updating it!
When you place a launch bay, does it also play the specific effects when the fighter goes in? e.g. the sparks and welding where the point was?

When yours fighters land every dot you put in launch bay make spark, some go on some go off etc. So sparking is connected with doting :)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »

Can something like a weapon editor be done, for example, it allows to visualize the changes (view the fire animations and the weapon projectile/beam color/aspect) while you add the proprieties, seems that the only editor that hasn't been made that would prove very useful.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:51:04 AM by silentstormpt »

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2012, 09:40:20 AM »

Can something like a weapon editor be done, for example, it allows to visualize the changes (view the fire animations and the weapon projectile/beam color/aspect) while you add the proprieties, seems that the only useful editor that hasn't been made that would prove very useful.
I was wondering the same thing!  That said a simple weapon editor might not be too hard to put together if it's mostly checklists and number-entry boxes.

Visualizing the changes is going to be a lot more difficult.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »

@silentstormpt, @EnderNerdcore: It is of course possible. It's even planned. But as you may expect, it's an issue of how much time can I find to devote to it.

If you get impatient, but consider yourself a competent programmer, I'd be more than willing to open up the codebase and post it on Github, so that you can add the functionality yourself and request me to merge it in.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »

@silentstormpt, @EnderNerdcore: It is of course possible. It's even planned. But as you may expect, it's an issue of how much time can I find to devote to it.

If you get impatient, but consider yourself a competent programmer, I'd be more than willing to open up the codebase and post it on Github, so that you can add the functionality yourself and request me to merge it in.
Don't worry, I work at Amazon, I know that even "simple" things can take quite a bit of time to program, particularly when they are hobby projects or on our free-time!

I would volunteer to help but unfortunately I don't think I'm reliable enough with my time or effort to assist. Instead, I'll simply be quite grateful to you and others who help make modding this game so easy for the rest of us.  :)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2012, 05:55:15 PM »

Im not a competent programmer, i can is probably make something out of other programs code, what you can call a scavenger.

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »

it is eluding me for now, but how do you set the size of weapons slots? i just cant seem to find it. PS: i love it, this is the frst time i'm fiddling around with making a ship(fighter wing), but with this it comes rather natural.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »

how do you set the size of weapons slots?

Press T while hovering near the weapon slot. This'll give you a submenu to edit the properties of that slot. You then use the arrow keys to move up and down, and left/right to change enumerated values like size.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »

I finally noticed a little thing that was bothering and figured out the reason.

I noticed that with the editor it lists the weapons in numerical order right?
it's nice and all up until the point it reaches ten, where it'll list anything beginning with a 1 in front of even single digit weapons

for example it would preferably be like this

WS 1
WS 2
WS 10
WS 11

But instead it's currently like

WS 1
WS 10
WS 11
WS 2
WS 3

ETC.

Just a little thing that will hopefully be fixed :)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2012, 07:54:27 AM »

Good catch; undoubtedly the reason why Alex used a convention of leading zeroes in his naming. I will fix this in the next release.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »

Trylobot,

I need to ask a favor of you regarding some new functionality in the next revision of your ship editor. I'm badly in need of new commands within Ship Mode which will allow one to perform "select all" and then "drag all" when working with the entire boundaries polygon, engine glows, weapon slots & carrier flight decks. Here's why...

I'm performing delicate surgery upon a ship sprite of mind-bending complexity; one which another player authored and brought to completion. This hull has a major known issue which is a consequence of the ship's mass centerpoint being much too far off center when compared to the sprite graphic. ??? (Hey, we're all human here.) This otherwise-fun hull's mass offset issue makes it significantly difficult to work with in the game's Refit screen, so I decided to take action to repair it via your amazing ship editor.

Sadly, I was stunned and defeated when I realized that relocating the mass centerpoint not only moves everything else, but also that there is not yet any convenient fast and precise way to, one data-set at a time, drag all of those other ship elements (bounds polygon, engineglows, turrets & fighter bays) by an identical amount so that everything on the newly-overhauled ship now matches again. Is this functionality feasible for you to add? Please advise -- thanks!

"Help me, Trylo-Bot Kenobi; you're my only hope." :)
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »

Oi, same here.  There's be that odd moment for me when I have to move my center point after I do everything else (naturally, I do everything else before the center point. ;D) and It's a paint to move all the bounds and weapon, especially if it's not mirrored.
+1 Archduke. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »

I'm performing delicate surgery upon a ship sprite of mind-bending complexity; one which another player authored and brought to completion.

You shouldn't be going much beyond 20 collision points as the more dense the collision mesh becomes, the greater the performance impact.  The collision box exists so you can have a much simpler collision shape for physics than the visual object itself.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2012, 09:22:18 PM »

I'm performing delicate surgery upon a ship sprite of mind-bending complexity; one which another player authored and brought to completion.

You shouldn't be going much beyond 20 collision points as the more dense the collision mesh becomes, the greater the performance impact.  The collision box exists so you can have a much simpler collision shape for physics than the visual object itself.

I'm already aware of this, though it's still good advice. Like I said, it's neither my sprite nor my ship design. ;) I'm just a Good Samaritan caught firmly in the no-mans'-land between the original creation's modder and the rest of the playing community.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2012, 01:02:28 AM »

Sure Astro. A good idea for a feature, and ridiculously easy to put in. I'll make sure it gets in the next release.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44