Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Flight Deck Hull Mods  (Read 4475 times)

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Flight Deck Hull Mods
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »

Has anyone ever thought of flight deck hull mods for carriers?
Benefits being decreased refit time, more space to land extra wings, speed bonuses or the like to recently 'fitted wings, etc.

I'm not sure how fair that would be since at most you would be sacrificing a few PD or missile mounts/a capacitor or two.

There doesn't seem to be very much to sacrifice on a carrier, and hull mods normally have consequences or induce some kind of limitation depending upon its effect, unless I'm thinking about this all wrong.

Would a carrier with mods to its flight deck be unbalanced?

I'd very much like to hear what people have to say about this.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Deck Hull Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »

Sure, extra flight deck sounds plausible.  I'd imagine it should have hefty penalties though...

Something like -25% armour and -50% hull, or something like that.  Gotta make that space somewhere!

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »

This was somewhat addressed with the idea of a super carrier that was discussed LONG LONG ago.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2099.0

Their should be some good carrier hull mods but it could be very unbalanced, but those were in the days before ship systems made fighters a lot weaker. Maybe now some carrier hullmods would be appropriate.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »

A real supercarrier should be able to R&R battleships, damnit!

Ooh, there's an interesting hullmod, though I wouldn't have any clue as to how to fluff it - enabling a ship to be R&R'd at a carrier. Of course, one of the penalties for this hullmod would be that the ship now counts against your hangar space...

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:55:12 AM »

A real supercarrier should be able to R&R battleships, damnit!

Ooh, there's an interesting hullmod, though I wouldn't have any clue as to how to fluff it - enabling a ship to be R&R'd at a carrier. Of course, one of the penalties for this hullmod would be that the ship now counts against your hangar space...

-- Griffinhart

That'd be sick as hell.
I think I'd be happy with being able to R&R my frigates, or one cruiser or something.
Since there's no way on God's green Earth you would be able to land one of those babies on a flight deck, perhaps you could repair hull but not armor on your middle-weight ships, or armor but not hull?
Whichever is fairer I suppose.
I'd be happy with a simple ammo refill on my support ships.
All of this would come with a healthy supply cost of course.  ;)
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:18:52 AM »

Oh lord. And here we are back to the same discussion of the Super Carrier again.

R&R on anything larger than a fighter could really throw this game's balance off. Imagine Hyperion's fitted with Reaper torpedoes able to launch a payload, reload, then do it all over again. Lasher's with ECCM and extended missile racks that could fire off 10 improved Harpoons then reload them.

Then there is the repair side, which also doesn't make sense. It takes DAYS for the armor and hull of bigger ships to be repaired, but people expect it to be done in seconds?

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:22:47 AM »

The power of hullmods, yo. Don't underestimate them.

-- Griffinhart

"

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 06:29:05 AM »

Oh lord. And here we are back to the same discussion of the Super Carrier again.

R&R on anything larger than a fighter could really throw this game's balance off. Imagine Hyperion's fitted with Reaper torpedoes able to launch a payload, reload, then do it all over again. Lasher's with ECCM and extended missile racks that could fire off 10 improved Harpoons then reload them.

Then there is the repair side, which also doesn't make sense. It takes DAYS for the armor and hull of bigger ships to be repaired, but people expect it to be done in seconds?

A little daydreaming never hurt did it?  ;)
Besides, if we keep talking about it maybe we'll come with something less insane and a bit more reasonable:D

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 06:29:41 AM »

Oh, and I forgot to mention that if ships other than fighters can R&R, then the biggest advantage that the fighter class hulls have is gone.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 06:34:12 AM »

A little daydreaming never hurt did it?  ;)
It might.
Besides, if we keep talking about it maybe we'll come with something less insane and a bit more reasonable:D
Someone had to blow the whistle on something vastly overpowered. Besides, the OP's idea was much more reasonable.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:48:59 AM »

Can a mod close this thread then?
Seems to be an awful waste of space.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »

Thinking about it, I'd probably make the hangar space cost for this hull mod more than 1:1 with the FP cost of the ship. Probably something like double FP cost in hangar space cost at first, to see how well that balances (probably makes it useless for any ship heavier than a light destroyer, which is appropriate, considering that the heaviest fighters weigh in around as much as a light destroyer), and then adjust based on playtest performance.

-- Griffinhart

"