Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Choosing roles for your ships.  (Read 4205 times)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Choosing roles for your ships.
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »

Currently there is pretty much no way to identify what commands your ship will respond to. For example: By putting a few long range weapons on one of my custom ships, its suddenly a fire support ship, and will thereby respond to the "Rally fire support"

This can be really annoying especially on the battlefield where my Conquest suddenly is at the back of my lines because it decided it is a fire support ship.

My fix is simple; You know where you can name your ship whatever variant it is? Make  it so that when you press that button, a few alternatives for roles would pop up. These roles would determine what the ship would respond to.

Here, have this illustration:

Something of the sort.

(Dont laugh at my awesome editing skillz)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing roles for your ships.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »

What Conquest loadout is that happening for you for? I'm asking because I thought that was addressed in 0.53a.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »

Hm i was talking more about ships in general, not just the Conquest. It was just a random example, but it used to happen with my dual MIRV one, but i havent tested it in the latest patch.

Just wanted this suggestion to give a little bit more consistent control over the ships.

EDIT: As another example: This ship does not respond to any off the Rallys. And i would like it to be a fire support ship. To bad i cant choose that somehow... Hint hint

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:43:14 PM by Faiter119 »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:22:19 AM »

I just tried a Conquest in Last Hurrah with MIRVs and Pillums and it went straight for the enemy. Then I packed a Gemini with sabots and two maulers and it overcame its carrier-like shyness and went for a brawl. I think the game is pretty great in determining  a ships purpose.

Well there are cases were a ship doesn't understand what it was build for, but those are rare.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:42:37 AM »

Yeah but there are also times when you want a ship to do something different than what its weapons would suggest. Like having carrier with a bit more firepower to stay with the rest of your carriers.

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 05:25:07 AM »

It is pretty simple isn't it I think this could be added without much hassle. and it could be useful.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 05:32:05 AM »

It is pretty simple isn't it I think this could be added without much hassle. and it could be useful.

Exactly, and then you wouldnt need the computer to figure out what role your ship is.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »

Yeah but there are also times when you want a ship to do something different than what its weapons would suggest. Like having carrier with a bit more firepower to stay with the rest of your carriers.

If you could choose its role yourself then you would be able to do that yourself, rather than have the AI do you a favour by making a mistake.

Exactly what i said.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »

I was about to make a suggestion of my own. Then I remembered that Faiter made a suggestion that was a little too similar.

If I might tac on my own little suggestion: In addition to the player being able to select which role your ship would play, wouldn't it be cool if we had a couple of custom roles? In addition to the roles that show up on Faiter's screen shot, how about a couple more options: Custom Group 1 & 2. This would be nice for those ships that are a little harder to define, or just don't quite fit in with the other preset roles.

Also, would it be possible to have simple "standing orders" associated with these roles? For example, if a ship was set to the Civilian group, could it just retreat automatically without any user input? If a ship was assigned to the Fire Support group, could it act like civilian ships act now?

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »

I was about to make a suggestion of my own. Then I remembered that Faiter made a suggestion that was a little too similar.

If I might tac on my own little suggestion: In addition to the player being able to select which role your ship would play, wouldn't it be cool if we had a couple of custom roles? In addition to the roles that show up on Faiter's screen shot, how about a couple more options: Custom Group 1 & 2. This would be nice for those ships that are a little harder to define, or just don't quite fit in with the other preset roles.

Also, would it be possible to have simple "standing orders" associated with these roles? For example, if a ship was set to the Civilian group, could it just retreat automatically without any user input? If a ship was assigned to the Fire Support group, could it act like civilian ships act now?

Hm custom roles sounds cool, but i dont know how the UI would work for that. But i guess the devs would figure something out.