Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What is everyone's problem with...  (Read 3566 times)

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
What is everyone's problem with...
« on: August 06, 2012, 03:37:49 AM »

Internet explorer? Sure, chrome and firefox are better but thatdoesn't mean it is the worst thing ever to exist :p
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What is everyone's problem with...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:40:48 AM »

1. Insecure
2. Slow (latest version has fixed this somewhat apparantly)
3. Has idiotic(and i mean idiotic) standards which many web devs are forced to adhere to due to its ubiquity. (by standards i mean how the browser displays markup. certain things just dont work in IE that should work, or do the wrong thing, or are just plain broken)
4. that annoying clicking sound

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:33:48 AM »

Opera FTW! Norwegians rule!

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:17:43 AM »

3. Has idiotic(and i mean idiotic) standards which many web devs are forced to adhere to due to its ubiquity. (by standards i mean how the browser displays markup. certain things just dont work in IE that should work, or do the wrong thing, or are just plain broken)
That would be my biggest issue.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:52:13 AM »

A lot of it is lingering hatred over the situation at the turn of the millennium, where Microsoft was content to sit on their market dominance for several years, knowing most users weren't savvy enough to switch to another browser. Internet Explorer 6 was a barely-functional mess riddled with security holes, and it was out for five years before IE7 arrived. It really held back the evolution of the web. No use targetting new standards if the most popular browser doesn't support them (hell, it barely supported then-current standards; go look at the source to a popular site some time, and see the length of the compatibility code for Internet Explorer 6).

After the rise of Firefox (and when Microsoft realized they were hemorrhaging market share), they stepped up their game and vastly improved their browser. It's now (relatively) secure, bug-free, and standards-compliant. It's even reached the point where I wouldn't recommend users immediately uninstall it in favor of another browser. ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:13:16 AM by LazyWizard »

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 11:37:40 AM »

Ah, I was wondering. My browser situation is a little ridiculous...

IE for these forums (the index is stickied)
Firefox for youtube and if chrome and ie fail
chrome if ie fails (which it does,from time to time. I would switch but...  :-X )
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:26:04 PM »

Ah, I was wondering. My browser situation is a little ridiculous...

IE for these forums (the index is stickied)
Firefox for youtube and if chrome and ie fail
chrome if ie fails (which it does,from time to time. I would switch but...  :-X )

Just use Opera, and stop with that nonsense.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »

I use Firefox simply because it has never given me problems, I'm used to the UI, and because of Addblock plus. It also has very nice support from Ubuntu. I have nothing against Opera or Chrome but feel no need to switch and learn a new UI.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »

I use Firefox simply because it has never given me problems, I'm used to the UI, and because of Addblock plus. It also has very nice support from Ubuntu. I have nothing against Opera or Chrome but feel no need to switch and learn a new UI.

I dont have a problems with ads because I live in Norway, so i dont need adblock. (The longest commercials on youtube are like 20 sec) And there is no ads on the front page or anything so that is all dandy.