Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

what is your antivirus of choice.

AhnLAB
- 0 (0%)
avast!
- 9 (39.1%)
AVG
- 4 (17.4%)
AVIRA
- 0 (0%)
BitDefender
- 1 (4.3%)
BullGuard
- 0 (0%)
eScan
- 0 (0%)
ESET
- 1 (4.3%)
Fortinet
- 0 (0%)
F-Secure
- 0 (0%)
G DATA
- 0 (0%)
GFI - VIPRE
- 0 (0%)
Kaspersky
- 2 (8.7%)
McAfee
- 0 (0%)
Microsoft
- 3 (13%)
Norton
- 1 (4.3%)
Panda
- 0 (0%)
PC Tools
- 0 (0%)
Qihoo - 360
- 0 (0%)
Sophos
- 0 (0%)
Tencent - QQ
- 0 (0%)
Trend Micro
- 0 (0%)
Webroot
- 0 (0%)
Other (list please)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: what is your antivirus of choice.  (Read 8134 times)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
what is your antivirus of choice.
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »

so because of the recent release being seen as a virus by a certain antivirus program. i thought i would start a thread to see what antivirus programs people use..

currently i use Norton. though im going to be changing that very soon to BitDefender http://www.bitdefender.com/ in light of some research. which you to can find here. http://www.av-comparatives.org/

that's quite a bit of options there because well.. there are a lot of options and im sure there are more than what is listed.

also you can change your vote ;)
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: what is your antivirus of choice.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »

Everything that isnt that BS Norton. Avast! FTW!

I used to have Norton on my old computer, and before i switched to Avast! I did a virus scan, Norton reported 0 viruses. After i installed Avast! I did another scan, seems I had 3 viruses that Norton diddnt pick up.

Science bless Avast!

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »

I have used kaspersky and like it well enough
avast is good if you don't have the money

all in all, get some OS linux-based

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »

Comodo(not listed >.>) is the best for someone who wants complete control and certain security against everything. Though control comes with having to know what your doing or its pointless and you're going to end up disabling those "annoying popups" if you dont understand them and your back where you started.

Also the free version is just as good as the paid one.

Microsoft security essentials is free and very good also, its what i would recommend for you actually. Avast misses more than it used to but its still excellent compared to most of that list.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:50:32 PM by Mattk50 »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:32 PM »

Microsoft Security Essentials

Dr.Noid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:16:37 AM »

Ubuntu ;)

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »

>antivirus
No antivirus can protect a computer from a dumb user.

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 02:52:17 PM »

>antivirus
No antivirus can protect a computer from a dumb user.

-- Griffinhart
TECHNICALLY nowadays they can. It just depends what you do.
I don't have an antivirus. Just the security updates offered free of charge from Apple. Go no viruses on OS X!
(but really, 97% of viruses come from safari and even then they're stamped out within days)
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »

"Every day, man is making bigger and better fool-proof things, and every day, nature is making bigger and better fools."

-- Albert Einstein

"

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 01:10:32 AM »

I do something that would probably fit under griffin's definition of a dumb user. I use both AVG and McAfee at the same time, and other than AVG occasionally calling McAfee a rootkit, they seem to work well together. Heck, I even survived a virus with this duo; the virus got onto my computer and immediatly got rid of McAfee's scanning system while it disabled the firewall, but seemed to not realize that I had a second anti-virus, and a quick scan from AVG took care of it. McAfee promptly "updated" itself with a new scanner, and everything was back to normal.

I haven't actually voted on the poll yet, due to not being able to choose both.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »

i would say you should pick AVG then since AVG did not fail you but McAfee did.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:32 AM »

mcafee is only slightly better than norton. FYI you should only use one similar type of antivirus at the same time or they can actually conflict, slow eachother down, and let viruses through.

Also AVG is slow thesedays compared to a number of other AV's that are better but its still a decent choice.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:17:42 AM »

I do something that would probably fit under griffin's definition of a dumb user. I use both AVG and McAfee at the same time, and other than AVG occasionally calling McAfee a rootkit, they seem to work well together. Heck, I even survived a virus with this duo; the virus got onto my computer and immediatly got rid of McAfee's scanning system while it disabled the firewall, but seemed to not realize that I had a second anti-virus, and a quick scan from AVG took care of it. McAfee promptly "updated" itself with a new scanner, and everything was back to normal.

I haven't actually voted on the poll yet, due to not being able to choose both.
I wouldn't call you a dumb user for running two anti-virus programs ("inefficient", maybe, but inefficiency isn't necessarily dumb, it's just... inefficient. You could be doing things better!) (technically, I run three on Joyeuse - depending on your definition of "anti-virus" - I've got Avast!, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Spybot Search & Destroy on her), but I would call you a dumb user for managing to get a virus despite running two anti-virus programs. It depends on the circumstances under which you received the virus, really.

To me, a "dumb" user would be one who, say, has two anti-virus programs, but disables/ignores them every time a warning pops up, or even worse, doesn't even actually pay any attention to their anti-virus software, visits dangerous/unsecure websites heedlessly, speeds through installing unsafe software without actually reading what any of those checkboxes allow the software to do, etc., etc. At that point, no amount of anti-virus in the world is going to save this user; they are circumventing their protection and are actively seeking to damage and/or destroy their machine (at the very least). They deserve whatever ill fates befall them.

But that doesn't sound like you, so I probably wouldn't call you dumb. (Unless that actually does sound like you, in which case - you are so friggin' dumb, Goddamn.)

-- Griffinhart
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:19:46 AM by Griffinhart »

"

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 02:08:35 AM »

technically, I run three on Joyeuse - depending on your definition of "anti-virus" - I've got Avast!, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Spybot Search & Destroy on he

i want to note that avast and MSE will conflict heavily and neither will be able to do their job if you have both installed at the same time. its a seriously bad idea to run them together. The spybot thing shouldnt conflict though.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 06:25:56 AM »

Does it? I haven't noticed.

Well, Avast! annoys me, so I'll probably uninstall it next time it occurs to me to deal with my anti-virus.

-- Griffinhart

"