Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Operation: Inner Space - and other 2D space shooters  (Read 4490 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Operation: Inner Space - and other 2D space shooters
« on: August 08, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »

Does anyone remember Operation: Inner Space?

I used to play this back in the day on my 486 PC. Your ship would "fly into your PC" to save the untainted files and destroy the files that had been infected by a virus. Obviously there wasn't a real virus, but during the game you would select your actual directories and have to deal with icons of actual files within the folders. That's right, your folders were the missions and the files within your objectives.

There were also other ships, belonging to different factions. You could fight them as they would also try to capture files, or help them out against each other and they would return the favour. Fun times.

You could also repair and upgrade your ship. There was space police... pretty interesting game now that I look back on it.

Here's a gameplay video

Does anyone else remember any good ol' 2D space shooters?

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Operation: Inner Space - and other 2D space shooters
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »

It's not 2D exactly, but it's still fantastic and old, I think it counts in the spirit of the thread :P

I don't think it needs much introduction ;D

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Operation: Inner Space - and other 2D space shooters
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:48:39 PM »

It's not 2D exactly, but it's still fantastic and old, I think it counts in the spirit of the thread :P

I don't think it needs much introduction ;D
Do an aileron roll
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.