Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fortress shield and soft flux damage  (Read 3026 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fortress shield and soft flux damage
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »

Either i got my math wrong at some point or Paragon activates fortress shield against non threatening( less than it's regeneration) amount of soft flux damage.

I used custom Paragon with 4 HILs and 4 Gravbeams (actually it has more, but using only these at zero flux is enough ) against Elite standard layout.
That's 250x4 + 100x2x4 = 1800 raw dps on shield.
Target has 0.5 flux/damage adsorbed and 1380 regen, so theoretically it could ignore up to 2760 dps, yet it activates fortress shield and loses because of it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:18:44 AM by TaLaR »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress shield and soft flux damage
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:37:05 AM »

Thank you for the report - I forgot to take soft flux into account in that calculation.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:20:07 AM »

I'd also like to report that the fortress shield is slightly pink. Please fix.  ;D

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:28:30 AM »

Actually i'd prefer to see it even more pink ;D, since now it's kind of hard to see precisely when it's activated by enemy.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »

Hmm. It turns out it's not as simple as that. Turning on the Fortress Shield is actually beneficial here.

You've got roughly 1800 incoming soft flux vs ~2000 capacity to dissipate (keeping in mind that the dissipation is ~1000, not 1300 - with shields on). So if you wait for flux to go down, it'll be going at 200 per second.

With the fortress shield on, you're gaining right around 600 flux per second, while dissipating 1350ish - so as long as there's soft flux built up, you're dissipating it at ~700 per second - 3.5x faster than with the fortress shield off. And the AI is aware of using the shield this way, so it'll toggle it off when there's no more soft flux headroom to get rid of. All in all - having tested the "4x HIL, 4x Graviton" loadout vs Elite - I think the way it behaves now is good. I certainly wouldn't say it loses because of using it.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »

Hmm. It turns out it's not as simple as that. Turning on the Fortress Shield is actually beneficial here.

You've got roughly 1800 incoming soft flux vs ~2000 capacity to dissipate (keeping in mind that the dissipation is ~1000, not 1300 - with shields on). So if you wait for flux to go down, it'll be going at 200 per second.

With the fortress shield on, you're gaining right around 600 flux per second, while dissipating 1350ish - so as long as there's soft flux built up, you're dissipating it at ~700 per second - 3.5x faster than with the fortress shield off. And the AI is aware of using the shield this way, so it'll toggle it off when there's no more soft flux headroom to get rid of. All in all - having tested the "4x HIL, 4x Graviton" loadout vs Elite - I think the way it behaves now is good. I certainly wouldn't say it loses because of using it.

... I just activate it if alot of weapons are going pew pew on me ...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »

I forgot about upkeep, right:(... So it's actually about 2000 dissipation (while we are at it - how about rounding absorb coefficient display to 1/100? 1/10 seems too rough) .

I agree that described above  behavior would make sense, if it actually did have chance to fire - but in my test it doesn't: i outrange all, but lance due to optics + targeting unit + keep my distance, and it won't fire lance since i keep shields up.

It activates Fortress shield while not firing any weapons, despite having about 200 spare capacity (i keep flux at zero for test purpose, so no bonus involved). Point about it losing because of fortress shield still seems to be valid (or at least losing much faster than it would otherwise, since i'd have to build up flux to actually overpower it).

Actually, even if we assume that 1800 is somehow borderline enough to get through it's regen under these conditions, build up rate would still be less than 600 that it gets with fortress shield.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:54:55 PM by TaLaR »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »

... I just activate it if alot of weapons are going pew pew on me ...

Actually the best approach seems to be activating it right before big projectile hit & disabling right after (as there is no additional cost for pulsing it). AI can pretty much nullify efficiency of powerful low rate of fire weapons like Gauss Cannon using that (at least to point where you will run out of ammo before you can kill it).

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »

Checked this more once by same soft flux based design against unarmed Paragon with maxed vents(made small mod to add all my designs to simulator opponents). It doesn't do enough soft flux to pressure this ship (i piloted reverse situation as well, so it's certain), but AI still fails due to using fortress shields.
Proven!:)