Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: A discussion on the 'PC Master Race'  (Read 22386 times)

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A discussion on the 'PC Master Race'
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »

Ancient? The same roommate I previously mentioned has an Atari 2600.

Hmm, upgrading your GPU? IMO, that depends on what you're doing with it. Joyeuse is fine with her single ATI Radeon HD 5850 (Skyrim at Ultra, with additional graphics mods on top, at 1920x1080? Sure, she can do that at 60FPS). I've only managed to bring her to her knees three times - ArmA II at max (she'll put out like, 12FPS), Skyrim (in the aforementioned setup) and EVE Online (also at max) at the same time (Joyeuse drops to ~22FPS in this configuration), and once when I made a hilarious mistake in some multithreading code (I put my rendering code inside of a critical section - ran fine when I had four windows open and rendering, less so with thirty; Joyeuse more-or-less hardlocked and I had to do a hard reset; though, this isn't so much a GPU issue as it is a CPU issue).

The 5850 is positively ancient in computer time - AMD's onto the 7xxx series now, and my card isn't even sold at most retailers (e.g., Newegg lists the 5850 as "out of stock") - so you probably don't need to spend some 3-400USD on a new GPU when a previous-generation one will serve just as well for half or less the price (last I checked, the 6870 was going on Newegg for ~170USD), depending on what you plan on doing with it.

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »

Ancient? The same roommate I previously mentioned has an Atari 2600.

Hmm, upgrading your GPU? IMO, that depends on what you're doing with it. Joyeuse is fine with her single ATI Radeon HD 5850 (Skyrim at Ultra, with additional graphics mods on top, at 1920x1080? Sure, she can do that at 60FPS). I've only managed to bring her to her knees three times - ArmA II at max (she'll put out like, 12FPS), Skyrim (in the aforementioned setup) and EVE Online (also at max) at the same time (Joyeuse drops to ~22FPS in this configuration), and once when I made a hilarious mistake in some multithreading code (I put my rendering code inside of a critical section - ran fine when I had four windows open and rendering, less so with thirty; Joyeuse more-or-less hardlocked and I had to do a hard reset; though, this isn't so much a GPU issue as it is a CPU issue).

The 5850 is positively ancient in computer time - AMD's onto the 7xxx series now, and my card isn't even sold at most retailers (e.g., Newegg lists the 5850 as "out of stock") - so you probably don't need to spend some 3-400USD on a new GPU when a previous-generation one will serve just as well for half or less the price (last I checked, the 6870 was going on Newegg for ~170USD), depending on what you plan on doing with it.

Probably because Armas engine is clunky and bad.
-- Griffinhart

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »

I haven't seen the source code, so I'll withhold judgment. Its UI is pretty horrible, I'll admit.

Still, I had plenty of fun in ArmA II (and its predecessor, Operation Flashpoint). I'm eagerly awaiting the third, although I'll probably need to overhaul Joyeuse entirely to bring its performance up (a new motherboard to accommodate a new CPU, at the very least; the RAM can stay, I haven't met a single professionally-released game that can eat through 24GB of RAM).

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »

I haven't seen the source code, so I'll withhold judgment. Its UI is pretty horrible, I'll admit.

Still, I had plenty of fun in ArmA II (and its predecessor, Operation Flashpoint). I'm eagerly awaiting the third, although I'll probably need to overhaul Joyeuse entirely to bring its performance up (a new motherboard to accommodate a new CPU, at the very least; the RAM can stay, I haven't met a single professionally-released game that can eat through 24GB of RAM).

-- Griffinhart

I just got 8G of ram, even though there is no need for that much with todays games.

My Quad i5 2.8GHZ can stay for a while, but my GTX 550Ti must go soon for a better GTX 670. Cant wait :)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »

This thread is now about specs bragging

12gb of 1800mhz ram
gtx580
i7920 OC'd to 3.7ghz

/thread

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »

my GTX 550Ti must go soon for a better GTX 670. Cant wait :)

I don't see how that is necessary. I have the same card, albeit a little overclocked, and it is working absolutely fine. Frequency is at 1150 MHz, and I haven't found a game where it wouldn't run at either highest or close, with EVE on the side. I mostly get 60 FPS, but i occasionally dip below 40 for a couple of seconds. I run 2 screens at 1400x900, one featuring EVE at max settings, the other featuring a high end game in windowed mode, with a resolution just below 1400x900

And did someone say spec brag thread? Here goes:
P7P67 motherboard (deluxe I think, not quite sure)
I5-2500K @ 4.3 GHz with a completely ridiculous air cooler. It's better than the H100 in both silence and cooling.
8GB DDR3 ram
GTX 550Ti from EVGA, overclocked to 1150 MHz with EVGA Precision X
2 HDD's, totaling at about 1.25 TB
A DVD drive that is getting replaced soon, I'm getting tired of it not playing all of my discs right.
And a coolermaster HAF case, it's got 2 huge fans ventilating the air of the entire room, making it cooler in the summer.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 12:02:44 AM »

My card is strugeling with afew games on the highest setting (Skyrim, and some other games), so it would be nice to get that boost. I think it will also be almost necessary to upgrade when new games start using the new Unrealengine. But it will not be anytime soon, just spent quite abin of money on the Corsair Vengeance K90 and M60.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »

A strange thing: my graphics card on my XPS has 3GB of GDDR5.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 12:57:52 AM »

Thats alot, my 550 has like 1g only.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:50 AM »

Thats alot, my 550 has like 1g only.
And then my Macbook Pro goes down to 512mb lol
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 01:54:02 AM »

Hah! My memory can beat all of yours! 16.7 gigs... :-\
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 01:56:30 AM »

Talking about videocard memory :S

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 02:11:40 AM »

The XPS has 16.7 gigs too
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 02:53:00 AM »

I meant harddrive memory- this computer is 5 years old ...
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 03:05:46 AM »

My primary hard drive is older than that. That joke isn't even funny...
Maybe if you were talking about an HDD from the 90-ties...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5