Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Effective Crew Level for all ships depends on fleet order  (Read 2405 times)

bificommander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Effective Crew Level for all ships depends on fleet order
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:42:58 AM »

I've noticed something odd with the effective crew level of my ships, and it's dependency of the order in which I place those ships in the fleet window. I know that the further to the top left I place ships, the higher that ship's priority for getting high level crew members. But I also read in the manual that you don't need to have an all-elite crew to get an effective elite level, and that once a ship has enough high level crew to get the appropriate level, any further high level crew members go to the next ship. And that's where things get weird.

On multiple occasions, if I place a big ship with lots of crew in the top left corner and the smaller ships in the other square, only the big ship gets and effective crew level of elite, the others get veteran. But if I place the big ship behind the smaller ships in the fleet order, all ships get elite level, including the big one. For example, I currently have 84 elites, 375 veterans, 215 regulars, and 113 marines in my cargo bay. If I place a paragon-class battleship in the top left corner and a Gemini Destroyer to the right of that, only the paragon is elite, the gemini is veteran. If I swap the two, both ships have an effective level of elite.

So, either the reported effective crew level is wrong, or whatever function determines how many high level crew members are neccesary and how many can be passed on to the next ship on the list. I think it's the latter, because my travel speed is also affected. If I use a fleet composition with the order Paragon-Hammerhead-Gemini-bunch of fighters, with the above quoted crew numbers, only my Paragon is elite and my travel speed is 143, if I use Hammerhead-Paragon-Gemini-bunch of fighters, Hammerhead and Paragon are both elite, and my travel speed is 144.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Effective Crew Level for all ships depends on fleet order
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »

It's working as intended. It fills up the ships with the more experienced crew from first to last. It you think it should work differently, you could make a suggestion in the suggestions forum.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »

It's working as intended. It fills up the ships with the more experienced crew from first to last. It you think it should work differently, you could make a suggestion in the suggestions forum.

That is not true either. A big elite ship in the first position will normally have a good percentage of green and normal crew. Ships after it may well have veteran or normal crew. But as bificommander said the distribution is not optimal. I can't figure out a logic or reason behind it, so it might really be a bug.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

bificommander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »

I know it's supposed to spread experienced crew from left to right, top to bottom. So I would expect that, if I have two ships A anb B, and A is elite and B is veteran, and I swap them around in the order, B will be elite and A will be veteran. But in the example given above, A and B both become elite. If I, apparently, had enough elite crew members to make both A and B elite, I would expect the game to distribute my crew members such that A and B are elite, no matter which order I put them in.

Now, are you saying that this is in fact as intended? Will the game fill up a bigger ship A with more elite crew members than needed to reach the elite effective crew level, even if there is a ship B lower in the priority that doesn't have enough elites yet. Because that's not what is described in the manual
Quote from: The World of Starfarer, p73 (empathis mine)
Which of your ships get your best crew is determined by its position in the Fleet tab. To man a ships with your best crew drag it to the position in the upper left corner, your ship in the lower right corner will only get leftovers. The crew is automatically distributed the most efficient way, e.g. your veteran battleship will only get as much veteran crew as it really needs and the rest will serve on the next ship.

If the manual is incorrect, and the order of ships matters even if I have enough elite crew members to make all my ships elite as long as I put them in one particular order, I will be making a suggestion. Because it seems rather silly to have to try every combination of orders in your fleet to get the one order that the game lets me make all my ships elite.

Gothars, as far as I can figure out with the logic of the distribution: You're more likely to get more elite ships if you put your small ships further to the top left than your big ships. But that still leaves it as a trial-and-error excercise to determine how far to the right you can place your capital ship, and still have it remain elite.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:13:04 PM by bificommander »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 03:15:08 PM »

Yeah, it's a bug, sort of. Due to how the rounding of the crew level works. It's basically being nicer than it should be, but of course taking advantage of that turns into the optimal thing to do.

On my list of things to take a look at.