Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Virus on the new update? (The answer is "no")  (Read 4690 times)

jet36

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Virus on the new update? (The answer is "no")
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:59 AM »

When i download the new update for .53a Norton antivirus scans it and deletes it. Any reason why? And how to get around it? It also says it's a Insight Network Threat and that there are many more indications that it's not safe.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:04:16 PM by Alex »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Virus on the new update?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:51:10 AM »

No there is no virus, it is just that Norton is the biggest piece of garbage you can ever get, I recommend you to get rid of that crap and immediately install "Avast!" Its a free antivirus program that is 1000 times better than that horrendous Norton.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:19:08 AM »

When i download the new update for .53a Norton antivirus scans it and deletes it. Any reason why? And how to get around it? It also says it's a Insight Network Threat and that there are many more indications that it's not safe.
Open up your Norton, go to the Quarantine, and select "starfarer_install-0.53a-rc4". Then, under "Restore & Options", select restore. And there is nothing wrong with Norton; a false positive is going to happen every now and then.

jet36

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »

Thank you for the help BillyRueben, and for not going on a rant about a good antivirus. ;)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Virus on the new update? (The answer is "no")
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 04:26:25 AM »

(norton is a virus, think about it, it hijacks other programs, doesnt let you uninstall it, provides no function for the user, and prevents normal computer operation)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »

(norton is a virus, think about it, it hijacks other programs, doesnt let you uninstall it, provides no function for the user, and prevents normal computer operation)
It isn't, it doesn't, it does, it does, and it doesn't. But you can believe what you will.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »

I had this problem, but unlike your delicate solutio- I used a sledgehammer by switching off Noroton for an hour- that fixed it :).
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:09:22 AM »

It isn't, it doesn't, it does, it does, and it doesn't. But you can believe what you will.

First doesn't: Norton can be installed by accident when installing other programs, as its included in installers sometimes. Therefore, it hijacks other programs to infect you.

Second doesn't: it not only prevents you from doing things you should be able to (example in this thread if you like) under the guise of pretending to protect you, but slows down your computer significantly. Therefore, creating a state of abnormal computer operation. Which is not normal.

It isn't: One thing is fact whether or not you agree with the above, it's scareware, but because i just refuted your two disagreements, it fits the definition of a virus.

But please, you believe what you will.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:12:06 AM by Mattk50 »

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 06:12:10 AM »

If you're a regular subscriber to Norton send me a PM, I have some great, similar software to keep your computer safe for the same price!

Spoiler
Here's a hint, it's malware.
[close]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 08:07:33 AM »

Guys, if you want to continue this discussion, please take it off-topic.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »

Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.