Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: .53a First impressions  (Read 44306 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: .53a First impressions
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »

I want to see how the fighter AI changes with a flight deck present - from wimpy cowardice 'if I die I die for good' to more outgoing 'repair and refit if it goes wrong'
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »

How are you using your phase? Phasing really really early is an obvious bad idea. Took me a few tries to figure that out though, haha.

l like using the Shade.

one trick i like to use it's to get the zero flux speed bonus, then pick a straight line that will take me behind the enemy ship and coast on phase..
then un-phase and use the EMP weapon.

i have 1 AM Blaster on a turret and 2 Tac Lasers on the other 2.
the Tac Lasers are used primarily against fighters.
the 2 hardpoints are left empty to give me more points for hull mods and flux control.

hull mods:
Optics to give my lasers a much needed range boost and Advanced Turrets to counter the nerf of the Optics.

Resistand Flux Conduits to give me more flux control.

all remaining point in Flux controls.
-------------
edit:
i think i'm gonna remove the AM Blaster, which i mostly use for finishing blows anyway.
and replace it with another Tactical Laser and use the remaining points for the point defense hull mod.

this way, i can shoot down missiles instead of cloaking all the time to avoid them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:46:13 AM by moontan »

Blackoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »

My real first lasting impression with ship systems was, i was in a lasher and had a fighter wing of talons, managed to get an enforcer low on health, then the enforcer burn drived at me, slammed into me and............after the whiteout of the explosion cleared, i was..........alive, it was DEAD!  it was awesome!

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2012, 02:39:09 AM »

I actually think fighters are more viable - I feel like the AI improvements make them much more powerful on offense. This is especially noticeable with Talons - they used to just circle enemy ships doing squat. Now they close and fire. Fighters only really shine with a flight deck though. Their sheer numbers actually makes Talons pretty good at protecting ships against Hyperions - the Hyperion is forced to teleport somewhere into the fighter cloud. Extra dps and distraction is nice.

Heh, you're going to convince me to take out a single astral with a 100 fp of talons at this rate

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2012, 04:02:56 AM »

Since the best (at least based on my experience) AI-controlled Hyperion build includes 4 burst pd as weapons, i really stopped recognizing enemy fighters as threat at all. Usually they are mostly gone by the time I'm done with my first/second target ship (on a heavy blaster-equipped Hyperion)...

Anyway - i think in current update balance has been seriously tipped in favor of ships vs fighters, since they got new shiny systems and serious AI improvements...

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »

Since the best (at least based on my experience) AI-controlled Hyperion build includes 4 burst pd as weapons, i really stopped recognizing enemy fighters as threat at all. Usually they are mostly gone by the time I'm done with my first/second target ship (on a heavy blaster-equipped Hyperion)...

Anyway - i think in current update balance has been seriously tipped in favor of ships vs fighters, since they got new shiny systems and serious AI improvements...
I agree. As a sidenote, I noticed that using Wolfs instead of Tempests in my fleet is much better deal most of the time. Wolfs have tremendous advantage of firepower, and the speed gap between Tempest and Wolf is pretty much negated by the latter's phase skimmer. It also gives much more survivability, since you no longer have to stricly *travel* through space. You can skim through, and avoid all the missiles/projectiles. Not gonna do that in a Tempest.

Sure, the Tempest will be better in a race against enemy Talons trying to cap points - but then, you have Broadswords, other Tempests, and finally Hyperions. Yeah, try winning a fight with Hyperion using a Tempest (AI). Or two. They will just back off instead of trying to cap the point.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2012, 07:40:44 PM »

Seems to me that Tempest drew short end of the stick with systems. As fastest ship with decent omni shield they didn't have problems with missiles in the first place, so there isn't much to gain from active flare system.

Having skimmer instead would make them MUCH more survivable, i think. Ok, maybe a bit too survivable, but judging by their cost they should be not too much behind Hyperion in combat capability, not behind cheap wolf as it stands now.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »

Maybe a burn drive would suit it better? Or high energy focus?

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »

HEF could be a good choice for player-piloted tempest, but I doubt that (at least current) AI could use it effectively, considering that tempest has quite short weapon range.

Burn drive could add overall mobility for capping and moving between engagements (though Hyperions would still do both better), but won't improve actual combat performance.

Neither seems ideal to me...

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2012, 07:07:55 AM »

Tempest is just in a spot where it's too good on its own, so that any other system would make it completely OP, but it's also too weak with it's current system, when other ships start to use theirs.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »

Heh - just went up against the Tachyon defense fleet. My only point cappers/skirmishers were fighters: the tritachs had 2 Shades, an Omen, a Hyperion, 2 Wolves, and 2 Tempests. The 2 Shades and Omen by themselves slaughtered all my fighters lol. Bad day bad day bad day....

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2012, 07:44:32 AM »

Heh - just went up against the Tachyon defense fleet. My only point cappers/skirmishers were fighters: the tritachs had 2 Shades, an Omen, a Hyperion, 2 Wolves, and 2 Tempests. The 2 Shades and Omen by themselves slaughtered all my fighters lol. Bad day bad day bad day....
I had similar experience with HDF, since they captured two hyperions some day.

I decided to give up the battle before I have even seen the first Onslaught. Hyperions just stopped me from capping points, and murdered my Tempests.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »

Hyperions are easy to counter, if you pilot one yourself. Just jump behind them right after they've used up their jump.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »

For me the Hyperion wasn't the problem at all - it was the Omen and Shades! EMP's vs. midline fighters is one sided lol (as it should be, imo).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]