Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: .53a First impressions  (Read 44467 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: .53a First impressions
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »

Omen + Hyperion = Pure destruction.  Nothing would live through that duo with elite crew.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »

Holy crap, the Omen is so much more annoying to fight in Predator or Prey now. I'd dare say it's more dangerous than the Astral. STOP DISABLING EVERYTHING!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »

Shield up?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »

Shield up?

Do you have a 360 degree shield on your Dominator?

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »

Shield up?
Aside from what Faiter said, it's hard to shield up when you're stuck in a Burn Drive.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »

Omens don't last long when Burn Driven into ;D

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »

There's only the problem of them being too fast for me to Burn Drive into.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:19 PM »

I feel like ramming your unshielded ship into another ship's shields at high speed should result in crazy huge amounts of kinetic damage, more than any weapon, especially depending on your ship's mass.

It makes sense, and it could be an even more interesting risk vs. reward dynamic especially in the case of burn drives.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »

I feel like ramming your unshielded ship into another ship's shields at high speed should result in crazy huge amounts of kinetic damage, more than any weapon, especially depending on your ship's mass.

Yes, this would be awesome. Ramming a Paragon's shields and overloading it with an Onslaught in Burn Drive would be totally awesome. It has a counter too - just lower the shields before the impact and take the hit on the armor instead of the insane kinetic dmg to shields. :o

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2012, 02:50:26 AM »

Yes, this would be awesome. Ramming a Paragon's shields and overloading it with an Onslaught in Burn Drive would be totally awesome. It has a counter too - just lower the shields before the impact and take the hit on the armor instead of the insane kinetic dmg to shields. :o

Or just activate fortress shield for a second...

Fishbreath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2012, 06:32:48 AM »

I hadn't played for a while pre-.53a, but with Gun Runners and a bit of moneycheating, I'm having a blast zipping around with a little fleet of my own and picking on pirates.

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2012, 08:35:56 AM »

I've only played maybe half an hour of .53a, but two things:

1. Enemy AI is challenging again (at least for the initial skirmishes, we'll see about fleet actions)

2. The Lasher in the hands of friendly AI is a beast. As I was chasing down a few Piranhas with my Vigilance starter, my buddy Lasher destroyed an enemy Lasher and Hound without assistance!*

*I replaced the typical autocannons with light mortars to save OP and credits

That's all for now, will post again in a bit after I have more time to play :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:37:42 AM by cardgame »

bluntfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »

I have been a little underwhelmed by the phase ships to be honest. The teleporter and skimmer effects seem to be much more effective than the phase cloak.  It feels like their flux rates are going to be so high by the time the reach the enemy that they don't have enough flux to really brink down their shields.

Some thoughts:  Can we get a missile weapon that is good at bringing down shields? EMP warheads or something.

Cloaked ships:  It really feels like if I cloak my ship enemy missiles should seek the next target instead of hovering around me like a bunch of angry bees waiting for me to leave phase space.

The hyperion is truly a beast.

I have found even the phase skimmer makes ships much more durable, gives them great chase and escape possibilities.

The large ships with the burners are great. Very aggressive, they do a good job of sticking together.

Fighters are far less viable.  They die very quickly, are suicidal.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »

How are you using your phase? Phasing really really early is an obvious bad idea. Took me a few tries to figure that out though, haha.

I have found fighters no less viable per se. They are tougher to use since speed isn't what it used to be in terms of getting away. Also keep them away from omens.  D:
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »

I actually think fighters are more viable - I feel like the AI improvements make them much more powerful on offense. This is especially noticeable with Talons - they used to just circle enemy ships doing squat. Now they close and fire. Fighters only really shine with a flight deck though. Their sheer numbers actually makes Talons pretty good at protecting ships against Hyperions - the Hyperion is forced to teleport somewhere into the fighter cloud. Extra dps and distraction is nice.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8