Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Stagnant Development  (Read 35306 times)

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Stagnant Development
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »

I hope you guys realize that the game in it's current APLHA state is pretty much at the same level that many COMPLETE games are at.  If Alex wanted to he could have ignored the campaign and simply sold it as a space arena sim.  And you know what?  I'd still buy it.
I think this is the first time I have wholly agreed with you on something! ;D

Well said.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »

I hope you guys realize that the game in it's current APLHA state is pretty much at the same level that many COMPLETE games are at.  If Alex wanted to he could have ignored the campaign and simply sold it as a space arena sim.  And you know what?  I'd still buy it.
Yes. However, the problem is that he DIDN'T sell it as a space arena sim. If Alex cut-and-ran with what he had now, I wouldn't be too angry. I've had my $10 worth of fun already. I'm just saying that I can see where some people are thinking that progress isn't being made, since some didn't buy the game for the combat aspect, they bought it for the non-combat portions of the game. If I bought the game wanting to do nothing more than play as a miner/trader, and came on to these forums for the past six months seeing nothing but combat updates, I'd probably be a little aggravated too.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

Yes. However, the problem is that he DIDN'T sell it as a space arena sim. If Alex cut-and-ran with what he had now, I wouldn't be too angry. I've had my $10 worth of fun already. I'm just saying that I can see where some people are thinking that progress isn't being made, since some didn't buy the game for the combat aspect, they bought it for the non-combat portions of the game. If I bought the game wanting to do nothing more than play as a miner/trader, and came on to these forums for the past six months seeing nothing but combat updates, I'd probably be a little aggravated too.
Well spoken.

I think the OP is just being a little flippant with the substance of the updates. Yes we've seen no campaign functionality, and yes it's frustrating. But the amount of stuff that Alex puts into each patch is hardly minor in any sense of the word. I think that's where the defensive-ness and hostility is coming from.

I will reiterate that I have great faith in Alex. He's doing an amazing job pretty much on his own, and I am willing to wait for each update b/c of how much they do change the game. I do hope to see some campaign functionality soon, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »

Alex as one guy has made a little Alpha less buggy than almost any triple a title i've seen, as well as:
1. Providing a realistic AI
2. An awesome combat system (like as in, the best combat I've played with for ages)
3. He has given me my money's worth already. I mean, I could keep having fun with this game so long as the modding community keeps up too.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »

Yeah, but that's not really the point. The point is we haven't seen the campaign, and as awesome as everything else is, it's kind of a glaring omission. (but like I said I'm willing to wait)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »

Also, making games is not easy - in fact it's the very opposite!

Allow me to underline this - it is indeed very difficult to make a game.

I have some concept thoughts of my game (yes, i do intend on making one myself) on a game, and i can already tell you now that it is hard deciding what get's past implementation and what doesn't, based solely on the fact on how hard it is to make and how time-consuming it is. :)

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »

Yeah, but that's not really the point. The point is we haven't seen the campaign, and as awesome as everything else is, it's kind of a glaring omission. (but like I said I'm willing to wait)

Imagine that, a game where the engine is finalized before work on the campaign is created using said engine -- I bet no game has ever done it that way before!

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »

Imagine that, a game where the engine is finalized before work on the campaign is created using said engine -- I bet no game has ever done it that way before!
It works way better, because you get all the hype about the game being good, while having the game, without having the bugs, and so forth
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 09:10:29 AM »

TBH, I already feel like I've got my money's worth. I would buy Starfarer as it is, right now, and be totally fine with no more updates.

madpinger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 11:21:01 AM »

I paid up to support Alex's stated design goals/dream for the games long term development.
I can't say I expected him to be where he's at now in the game.  I want the full deal as pitched tho.   I hope his vision of the game he's bringing to life is as fun as I expect it to be.  Those who are happy with it now, I'm not sure what to say to that.  It's as good as a tech demo as currently is, in my opinion.  That's nothing negative per-se.  It certainly serves as a test bed to refine the combat and other systems. 

There is all ready a unique feel to the game that stands out.  It has a promising future ahead of it, should it reach fruition.

Past that,  People know he never said he would be done by any specific date.  He's also not working on it full time, all the time.
Besides, I'm betting some of the stuff is a lot more work than he expected :p

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »

Well, .53's been released.  Happy?  You better be! ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »

Whoo campaign related content is next!  :`D
- Voltaire

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »

Can't wait for it!  Multiple systems are a must! :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2012, 06:02:10 AM »

I've worked on quite a few indie projects, I'm working on Starfarer now and all I will say is that I disagree with the OP to just about the maximum possible extent. I know I might be biased, but especially considering the team size I think the game is making very good progress.

Also, making games is not easy - in fact it's the very opposite! :)

You work on starfarer?? Hi, nice to meet you!
Mr. Stark does the music.

I thought he did the weapons?

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2012, 10:19:22 PM »

I read the thread title and the first post, and I don't think it's necessary to even skim through the rest of this thread.

If this isn't a joke, which it really looks like to anyone who's semi-regularly paid attention to Starfarer's development and has even the loosest grasp on average development cycles, especially for indie games with small teams, then shame on you. Shame on you for not knowing better.

The dev team's communication with the community has been impeccable. The rate of progress has been astounding. At no point since this website was accessible to the general public has this not been the case.

This has been so blatantly, objectively obvious that I can only conclude that the OP has fallen victim to a sort of confirmation bias, where they only care about updates and communication concerning one or two aspects of the game they find particularly interesting(campaign features?), while progress and information about all other areas are ignored and considered wasted time, despite their fundamental importance in the scope of the project as a whole, and in game design in general.

It just isn't an apple pie without the crust, even if all *you* care about is the filling, and Alex is making this one from scratch, so he must first invent the universe, you see?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7