Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Destroyer A.I Fight or Flight  (Read 1721 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Destroyer A.I Fight or Flight
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »

So, what determines the fight or flight response for ships? I made a destroyer that for whatever reason is as skittish as a cat in a thunderstorm. It books it full thrusters in the other direction any time an enemy pings on its scanners. The only things it ever reluctantly engages are things that are faster than it. At first I thought it was number crunching... but whenever I take control I can down several fighter wings, a destroyer and even a light cruiser single-handedly. So I don't think the number crunching should turn a lasher into an onslaught that should be avoided on penalty of death. I noticed destroyer ships I have made tend to act this way. Is it coded into the destroyer hull size A.I? Destroyers do tend to be carriers or fire support... but there are a few who do not act this way.

Anyway, anyone have similar problems with autopilot and/or npc A.I acting this way? I'm not talking the usual won't commit to capitalize on an overloaded or venting foe issues. I'm talking full on retreat without even trying to get into firing range no matter what size or shape the enemy comes in.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Destroyer A.I Fight or Flight
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:55:17 PM »

Do you have a flight deck on that destroyer? One of those is enough to classify it as a carrier in the AI's eyes. Vanilla-balance-wise, if a destroyer-sized ship has a flight deck, it shouldn't be much in the direct combat department. A quick fix would be to change its hull size to CRUISER.

I realize that mods can have a different conception of balance entirely - this is just one of the cases where the AI isn't flexible enough at the moment. Probably something I'll look at down the line.

The magic numbers are 1/1/2/3 btw, in terms of "this many flight decks = carrier".

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: Destroyer A.I Fight or Flight
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »

Ah. Yep that's the problem then.  :-\ It is supposed to be a direct combat ship despite the flight deck so I guess I better use that fix. For the larger ships it shouldn't be an issue luckily. Thanks for the help!