Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A wee bit confused about using missiles... carrying extras?  (Read 2113 times)

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile

I am sure this has been asked, so forgive my repetition. What is the story about missiles? What I mean is, while I was fitting my ship, a tooltip appeared, something like '"shift+click" (or maybe it was "control+click", since shift+click uninstalls modules) to add missiles'. I took this to mean I could place more missiles on a hardpoint, as I was installing single-missile racks from a station, I did whatever the tooltip said and there were interface noises... but then when I looked at my missile hardpoints, they were all single-missile racks, and had "ammo: 1". I know increasing missile count is what Extended Missile Racks does, but I could have sworn that it said something about "to add more missiles"... anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I'm going to quickly try to recreate it in the meantime.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Re: A wee bit confused about using missiles... carrying extras?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:56:41 AM »

It's talking about other hard points or turrets, it can make outfitting a ship a bit faster. single missile racks will only ever carry one missile, so you only really use them if you can't afford a proper missile rack.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:01:35 AM »

It's talking about other hard points or turrets, it can make outfitting a ship a bit faster. single missile racks will only ever carry one missile, so you only really use them if you can't afford a proper missile rack.

That's what I figured, while I was experimenting, since I was actually reading the console text what I was apparently doing was selling the missile and placing another one simultaneously in the now-empty slot.

Well, that was quick. And disappointing. It would be nice if missiles came 'single' all the time, and by buying more you would make a hardpoint into a rack... I seem to never find racks in station shops, but then to be fair I haven't played the game much beyond earning a Destroyer...

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:37:18 AM »

Convoys bring a variety of different weapons in to each station when they arrive, and IIRC the Tri-Tachyon station has Harpoon Missile Racks default (those are the primary missiles I use in the early game, so that's pretty much all I worry about.)

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »

i wondered what the game would be like if all missile racks came with only one missile or possibly a random number of missiles in it and you could buy more but they would take up cargo space beyond a certain capacity of the racks. but i suppose that will be moot when or if the munitions ships will be created for the game. i imagine they would just use supplies to refill your missiles.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.