Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Fiddle with Mod creation, get Errors 2 <Solved!>  (Read 6517 times)

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fiddle with Mod creation, get Errors 2 <Solved!>
« on: July 23, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »

While trying to mod in a new Laser weapon to get a hang of using the fx folder, I got this error when loading up the mod:
Spoiler
Fatal: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at 1 [character 2 line 1]
Check starfarer.log for more info.
[close]

It seemed simple enough to solve, the only .json in the mod is the mod_info.json; The mod had worked before adding in this 'Laser weapon' update, but I checked anyway - '{' is right where it's supposed to be - the first character; just to make sure I checked all the text files, but they're all alright as well.

It occurred to me that this may have been a problem caused by the editor I use, but it appeared alright in all the other text editors I used.

I am stumped as to what the problem could be, as I can't find anything wrong with the update files, but since the mod worked beforehand it must be something to do with them; If anyone has an Idea as to what the problem might be, I'd appreciate the help.

Here are the relevant file texts affected/concerning the update causing the error:

The .log -
Spoiler
18587 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpecLoader  - Loading weapon [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\data\weapons\particlewavebeam.wpn]
18587 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\data\weapons\particlewavebeam.wpn]
18606 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.scripts.plugins.BattleObjectivesFleetPointsPluginImpl]
18637 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.scripts.plugins.BattleObjectivesFogOfWarPluginImpl]
18656 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.profiler.Profiler  - ID     Calls   Duration    Percent
18658 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.profiler.Profiler  - --------------------------------
18666 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - org.json.JSONException: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at 1 [character 2 line 1]
org.json.JSONException: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at 1 [character 2 line 1]
   at org.json.JSONTokener.syntaxError(JSONTokener.java:423)
   at org.json.JSONObject.<init>(JSONObject.java:184)
   at org.json.JSONObject.<init>(JSONObject.java:311)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpecLoader.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.G.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.A.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
18671 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.scripts.world.BaseSpawnPoint]
18719 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.scripts.world.SectorGen]
18876 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.turningthetables.MissionDefinition]
18950 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.forthegreaterlud.MissionDefinition]
[close]
The .wpn - [really just a gravbeam edit]
Spoiler
{
   "specClass":"beam",
   "id":"particlewavebeam",
   "type":"ENERGY",
   "size":"MEDIUM",
   "displayArcRadius":550,
   "turretSprite":"graphics/weapons/graviton_beam_turret_base.png",
   "turretGlowSprite":"graphics/weapons/graviton_beam_turret_glow.png",
   "hardpointSprite":"graphics/weapons/graviton_beam_hardpoint_base.png",
   "hardpointGlowSprite":"graphics/weapons/graviton_beam_hardpoint_glow.png",
   "turretOffsets":[15, 0],
   "turretAngleOffsets":[0],
   "hardpointOffsets":[23, 0],
   "hardpointAngleOffsets":[0],
   "fringeColor":[5,135,175,255],
   "coreColor":[200,225,255,255],
   "glowColor":[25,215,255,255],
   "width":20.0,
   "textureType":["graphics/fx/particlewavefringe.png","graphics/fx/particlewavecore.png"],
   "textureScrollSpeed":260.0,
   "pixelsPerTexel":5.0,
   "pierceSet":[PROJECTILE_FF,PROJECTILE_NO_FF,PROJECTILE_FIGHTER],
   "fireSoundOne":"beam_medium_intro",
   "fireSoundTwo":"beam_medium_loop",
}
[close]
The weapon_data.csv - [Copy-pasted straight from the excel sheet.]
Spoiler
Particle Wave Beam   particlewavebeam   2   3000   725   250         75   25   10         KINETIC      50   0.85   0.2
[close]
The mod_info.json -
Spoiler
{
  "id":"strifen_wip_mod",
   "name":"Strifens' WIP",
   "version":"0.1.4",
   "description":"Adds Strifens' WIP Mod-stuff to your game",
   "gameVersion":"0.52a",
   "totalConversion":"false",
   "replace":[

],
}
[close]

Edit: The Problem seems to have been some rather strange behavior on the part of Libre Office, trouble with BOMs and the Corruption of .wpn files

Case Solved
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:32:44 PM by Strifen »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fiddle with Mod creation, get Errors 2
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »

Can you check to make sure that you JSON files are saved using the UTF-8 character encoding?

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:44:52 PM »

It seems I switched to using Western Europe (ISO-8859-15/EURO); I remember setting it to Western Europe (Windows-1252/Winlatin 1) due to the example given in the second post of the 'Modding Tools and Resources'
I'll try runningediting it into Unicode (UTF-8) and seeing if it works

Edit: Now I'm getting a
Spoiler
Fatal: Error loading mod descriptor [C:Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\mod_info.json]
[close]
error before the launcher even pops up.

How does that even happen...
[C:Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\mod_info.json]
I don't even understand why that is, unless it's just what 'happens' when trying to load a mod.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:02:33 PM by Strifen »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »

[C:Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\mod_info.json]
I don't even understand why that is, unless it's just what 'happens' when trying to load a mod.

That's a valid path - the .. just means "go up a level" - so that's not the problem. Looks like it dies when it tries to take a look at the available mods - the descriptors get parsed when the launcher runs. There ought to be a bit more in the logs about the exact error.

Are you certain it's UTF-8? I'm asking because you keep calling it unicode, and it's not - it's just UTF-8 - so just want to make sure there's no confusion.

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »

-snip-
Are you certain it's UTF-8? I'm asking because you keep calling it unicode, and it's not - it's just UTF-8 - so just want to make sure there's no confusion.

?
mostly certain*

*Note: The way I 'edited'** it into UTF-8 was
  - Open in the Unicode (UTF-8) format
  - Delete the 'i' in "id"
  - Refill the 'i' in "id"
  - Save

It is possible that may be where the misfortune lies.

**NoteII: When I got the error when using UTF-8 format, I hadn't mad a proper back-up, so I 'restored' the folder[mod_info.json] version' by coping what I'd posted here. When it copied the...well, color of the forum as well, I pasted it back in as plain text, resulting in that continuous, flatline text look instead of properly segregated and well-spaced sections; while I plan on fixing this, the mod version available for download hasn't been properly re-adjusted, so there's also that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:34:58 PM by Strifen »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:16 PM »

Odd. If you can upload the mod somewhere, I'll take a quick look.

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

Here's the .log of that "Fatal: Error loading mod descriptor [C:Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\mod_info.json]" error:

.log -
Spoiler
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Starting Starfarer 0.52.1a launcher
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - OS: Windows 7 6.1
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Java version: 1.6.0_18
16   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: ironclads [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\ACM]
16   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: inorbita [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\ascendency-A.5-full]
16   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: CAELUS [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\CAELUS]
16   [main] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading mod descriptor [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\mod_info.json]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading mod descriptor [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\mod_info.json]
   at com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager$1.accept(Unknown Source)
   at java.io.File.listFiles(File.java:1134)
   at com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager.return(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.json.JSONException: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at 1 [character 2 line 1]
   at com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
   ... 7 more
[close]
Odd. If you can upload the mod somewhere, I'll take a quick look.
Many thanks.

First_Mod.zip: -REMOVED-
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:59:02 AM by Strifen »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »

Aha. Looks like Starfarer doesn't handle a BOM at the beginning of a UTF-8 file properly (it's optional - and meaningless - in the format). If you just convert it to ASCII, it'll work. Meanwhile, I'll see about making it work when a file starts off with a BOM.

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »

Aha. Looks like Starfarer doesn't handle a BOM at the beginning of a UTF-8 file properly (it's optional - and meaningless - in the format). If you just convert it to ASCII, it'll work. Meanwhile, I'll see about making it work when a file starts off with a BOM.
That solves the second problem, but the original problem still comes up after starting up...

How'd you 'convert it to ASCII', exactly? I tried to with Libre Office and Notepad++, but still get the original error.
IE:
Spoiler
Fatal: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at 1 [character 2 line 1]
Check starfarer.log for more info.
[close]
and
Spoiler
18587 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpecLoader  - Loading weapon [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\data\weapons\particlewavebeam.wpn]
18587 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\..\mods\First_Mod\data\weapons\particlewavebeam.wpn]
18606 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.scripts.plugins.BattleObjectivesFleetPointsPluginImpl]
18637 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.scripts.plugins.BattleObjectivesFogOfWarPluginImpl]
18656 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.profiler.Profiler  - ID     Calls   Duration    Percent
18658 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.profiler.Profiler  - --------------------------------
18666 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - org.json.JSONException: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at 1 [character 2 line 1]
org.json.JSONException: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at 1 [character 2 line 1]
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.G.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.A.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
18671 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.scripts.world.BaseSpawnPoint]
18719 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.scripts.world.SectorGen]
18876 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.turningthetables.MissionDefinition]
18950 [Thread-10] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.forthegreaterlud.MissionDefinition]
[close]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:03:54 PM by Strifen »

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:09:17 PM »

In Notepad++, you can fix this with "Encoding -> Encode in UTF-8 without BOM". But changing the encoding to ANSI works just as well.

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »

In Notepad++, you can fix this with "Encoding -> Encode in UTF-8 without BOM". But changing the encoding to ANSI works just as well.
This also still results in the original error.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »

Ah, it seems LibreOffice destroyed your weapon file; it looks like you saved it as a document at some point. Open it in Notepad++ and paste in the text from your first post here, that should fix it. You might want to stick to Notepad++ for editing these kinds of files in the future. :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:31:19 PM by LazyWizard »

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »

Ah, it looks like LibreOffice destroyed your weapon file. Open it in Notepad++ and paste in the text from your first post here, that should fix it.

Huzzah, That fixed it! I Thank You both, Alex and LazyWizard.
How strange Libre Office can be...

Case Solved