Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: COFFEE!  (Read 12923 times)

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: COFFEE!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »

It's not so much a resistance ("resist" implies that your body is trying to reject it) as it is a tolerance (your body comes to tolerate the drug and its effects).

As with pretty much every drug, the more you use it, the more of it you need to use, because your body starts adapting to having it in such a quantity with such a regularity.

(This is also one of the reasons why withdrawals happen - once your body gets used to having something, taking it away tends to have detrimental effects.)

So to get the same (or more) effect once your body has built up a tolerance, you either need to use the drug more often, or in larger quantities (or both).

(For me, caffeine makes me sleepy. With milk [i.e., caffè latte, although I seem to tolerate half-and-half perfectly fine], it makes me nauseous, what with my being mildly lactose intolerant.)

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »

i just read threads about coffee at 10:20pm

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 02:38:20 AM »

I chose the word "resistance" quite purposefully. Caffeine speeds up neural transmissions by attaching to the Axon of a neurone. Over time the neurones will build up a sort of "shield" the prevents the caffeine from bonding with the axon. A resistance. Even if you stop taking in caffeine, the resistance you've build up will stay as long has the neurones remain intact.

Maybe starfarers buy neural implants that stimulate brain activity when they need it most, for example a heated battle against a pirate fleet. I would think they would try to keep their systems relatively free from chemicals, the reason should be obvious.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 06:05:55 AM »

I chose the word "resistance" quite purposefully.
Then you're doing it wrong. Drug resistance has an entirely different meaning from drug tolerance.

-- Griffinhart

"

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 06:38:38 AM »

I never said drug -_-

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »

Caffeine is a drug. Since we're talking about the consumption of caffeine, and the tolerance of its effects, the "drug" is implied.

-- Griffinhart

"

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »

Caffeine is a drug. Since we're talking about the consumption of caffeine, and the tolerance of its effects, the "drug" is implied.

-- Griffinhart

*Caught*

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »

idgi

(Or rather, idg the relevance of that video? I don't recall saying that drugs are bad. Drugs are in fact, pretty damn good. They fight infections, diseases, and in general, keep people alive. Drug abuse, on the other hand, is pretty bad, but abuse in general is pretty bad. I mean, it's abuse. The word alone has pretty negative connotations.)

-- Griffinhart

"

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

Sorry, I don't think I explained what I meant. When I said resistance, I was talking about the actual physical protection a neurone uses to protect from caffeine. I wasn't really talking about drug resistance (although thinking about it I was a little but).

I also chose the word resistance over tolerance because the caffeine still has an effect, but you need to consume more and more to keep that effect the same.

PS: griff, why do you have --Griffenhart at the end of each post? it would be easier to add if to your signature.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »

Sorry, I don't think I explained what I meant. When I said resistance, I was talking about the actual physical protection a neurone uses to protect from caffeine. I wasn't really talking about drug resistance (although thinking about it I was a little but).

I also chose the word resistance over tolerance because the caffeine still has an effect, but you need to consume more and more to keep that effect the same.

PS: griff, why do you have --Griffenhart at the end of each post? it would be easier to add if to your signature.

Because it is professional

-- Faiter119

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 01:16:12 PM »

Wasn't really my question.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »

I also chose the word resistance over tolerance because the caffeine still has an effect
Consumption of any drug that has an effect (are there even drugs that don't have effects?) will have an effect, even if it's minor.

but you need to consume more and more to keep that effect the same.
Er, congratulations on defining drug tolerance, like I did earlier?

PS: griff, why do you have --Griffenhart at the end of each post?
Nine (ten?) years of habit.

it would be easier to add if to your signature.
I sign my posts even when I use a signature (I'm just too lazy to pretty up my account on this forum).

-- Griffinhart

"

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »

Coffee?  I've never drank a cup of coffee in my 15 years of exsistance.  Drug or not, I will never drink it. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »

Tea is better anyhow, and contains caffeine all the same. :v

-- Griffinhart

"

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 01:36:58 AM »

The strongest tea actually contains more caffeine than the strongest coffe :D. Too bad I like neither :(.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4