Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115487 times)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (0.54.1a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.3.2c
« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »

Yeah.  Or perhaps other materials; I was pondering asteroid mining or what not.  Though to be honest at this point its just rather difficult to imagine how to give the player these capabilities in a way that isn't totally game breaking; it may have to wait until the game gets actual manufacturing rather than ships being magicked into existence from roving supply fleets.

In any case, I'm going to work on getting the Elysium a charging animation for it's main gun, and get back to trying to make an AI for it's drive boosting system that isn't quite so stupid; I feel as if I'm a bit behind on that due to the various other things going on.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2013, 06:16:11 PM »

Yeah.  Or perhaps other materials; I was pondering asteroid mining or what not.  Though to be honest at this point its just rather difficult to imagine how to give the player these capabilities in a way that isn't totally game breaking; it may have to wait until the game gets actual manufacturing rather than ships being magicked into existence from roving supply fleets.

In any case, I'm going to work on getting the Elysium a charging animation for it's main gun, and get back to trying to make an AI for it's drive boosting system that isn't quite so stupid; I feel as if I'm a bit behind on that due to the various other things going on.

Have you tried with weapon.IsFiring()

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2013, 07:08:08 AM »

I have, actually.  But either it doesn't appear to recognize the period in which a weapon is charging to fire as firing, or I have managed to screw up in a way that doesn't cause the program any issues but also doesn't do anything.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:28:09 AM by MShadowy »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »

Well after wasting a few days feeling generally useless and not getting much accomplished (though my java skill do, at least, appear to be improving) I decided I wanted get something concrete done, so here.

The Mimir/Vanir/Gugnir/whatever I end up calling it battlecruiser, about a third of the way done.

I'm definitely getting better at the greebling; it seems to help to imagine what kind of function a particular piece of machinery is supposed to fill.  Her engine ports aren't in yet, they'll be hex shaped openings along the large blank area on those two "arms" swinging in towards the regulator pylon in the center; I may pull back the outer casing on that area a bit to give a broader area over to the engines.  For now, 'tis all.  Cheers.

Edit:  I do probably put too much effort into things at this scale, considering that I intend to scale it down to half its current size.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:31:35 PM by MShadowy »

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »

vanir seems fine.
and im happy to know S.H.I will finally have a battlecruiser :P (you mean battlecruiser as in capital ship sized right ?)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »

vanir seems fine.
and im happy to know S.H.I will finally have a battlecruiser :P (you mean battlecruiser as in capital ship sized right ?)

Aye, she's a full capital ship.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »

vanir seems fine.

will she has a "little something special" ? say how some of your ship got those neat systems/built-in guns/etc

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »

vanir seems fine.

will she has a "little something special" ? say how some of your ship got those neat systems/built-in guns/etc

Almost certainly, the Vanir is the first ship I came up with that was intended to have a built-in weapons system, though obviously the Elysium and Shamash beat her there.  While the idea was kind of clear then, (big triple shot energy cannon) that seems kinda dull now, so I'm sort of going over other ideas.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:07:24 PM by MShadowy »

Etfaks

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2013, 02:40:56 AM »

I dont know, the Mimir/Vanir/Gugnir/whatever's "extruding front end" looks slightly bland to me. I would love some more asymmetrical elements or something in there to spice up the  silhouette somehow(and dont forget to put engines on it somewhere ^^)
Dev of the mod "The Hoplites of Corinth" and  artist for "Portraits Galore".

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2013, 03:03:31 AM »

I can see your art easily fit on a Master of Orion race:

Spoiler
[close]

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »

I dont know, the Mimir/Vanir/Gugnir/whatever's "extruding front end" looks slightly bland to me. I would love some more asymmetrical elements or something in there to spice up the  silhouette somehow(and dont forget to put engines on it somewhere ^^)

Hmmm... well, I'll give it a try.

I can definitely see that it might make the shape pop more.... hmmm, maybe some elevated panels along on side, or some weapon blisters...  well, guess I 'll experiment on it later, after work.

I can see your art easily fit on a Master of Orion race:

Spoiler
[close]

Haha, thanks.  Thats a pretty flattering comparison, especially with Janssons art.

sini002

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2013, 02:16:26 PM »

The Mimir/Vanir/Gugnir (:P) looks like it's going to become one awsome ship :D

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

I hope it meets everyones expectations.

Here's an alternate silhouette I put together for her, by the way.  This a little more interesting looking?

I'd need to do some retouching for parts of the underlaiment but the shape seems good to me.  Loses some of its giant space sword appeal, though.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »

i barely see the difference between the two...

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »

i barely see the difference between the two...

There wasn't really intended to be too much of a difference, just enough to break up the "extrudedness" of the bow in Eftaks words.  I've actually already pushed it a bit further, and while the differences are somewhat minor I'm actually quite happy with the possibilities.

Edit:  Rough details for the hull are now completed!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:07:21 PM by MShadowy »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 107