Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115439 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowyards Heavy Industries
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »

MShadowy, I love your work. I urge you to watch this video, however:

Instead of useless space camouflage, you might be interested in battleship "dazzle" painting.  :)

VIDEO HERE

Watch as he puts the ships on the water!

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »

Huh.

That's actually pretty neat!  ... though I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to actually apply, given that it might confuse the eyes of the player.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »

cool...has that anime look :)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:45 AM »

Cool stuff, MShadowy, great to see a release  :)

For what it's worth, I think they're all really cool, but that is possibly down to my questionable taste in the use of colour.

Looking forward to playing with the new spec Charybdis and messing about with the fitout.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 06:48:56 AM »

My two cents: Ignore the people complaining about the color. You are the lead designer/director/whatever of the fictional company, you can use whatever color scheme you damned well please!

That said, I like the color scheme as it is, I can't quite place it but it reminds me of... something.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »

Sorry bout the delayed  response... kinda got sidetracked on another project.  Since I had the day off, I rather meant to have the Enlil in game by today, but uh... well, I started colouring a picture I'd recently sketched and after a quite a few false starts I... kinda got carried away, and never quite got around to the mod work I'd intended.  Doh!

cool...has that anime look :)

Er, sorta?  I guess it has a bit of that old Zentraedi feel I guess, though I was going a bit more for "Mon Cal Cruiser."

Cool stuff, MShadowy, great to see a release  :)

For what it's worth, I think they're all really cool, but that is possibly down to my questionable taste in the use of colour.

Looking forward to playing with the new spec Charybdis and messing about with the fitout.

Yeah, I'm glad to have gotten this far; hopefully I'll not get so distracted tomorrow and I can make some progress.  ... and my taste in color is probably also questionable...

Have fun, mendonca.  =D

My two cents: Ignore the people complaining about the color. You are the lead designer/director/whatever of the fictional company, you can use whatever color scheme you damned well please!

That said, I like the color scheme as it is, I can't quite place it but it reminds me of... something.

Hmmm... so I may!  Doesn't mean I can't come up with a better one (though I haven't so far).  As far as reminding you of anything... maybe a little Taiidani?  Granted they preferred yellow and red, but they were also quite stripey.

Anyway, currently resisting urge to show off, which'd probably be premature considering it's not even close to done.  Cheers!

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 02:49:07 AM »

This reminds me of Tau, which is great, because Tau have a very cool anime style direction with their ships.
Dunno what Sept though.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 05:47:44 AM »

Really love this mod, hope you can expand upon it. the ship sprites are *great* I love the look, its unique and different whilst feeling perfectly at home in the starfruit universe and the color scheme is fine. the ship balancing leaves them very satisfying and fun to play without being OP roflstompers.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »

I remembered what they remind me of -- hulls for the Collective faction in Warzone 2100

http://guide.wz2100.net/bp/

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »

This reminds me of Tau, which is great, because Tau have a very cool anime style direction with their ships.
Dunno what Sept though.

A little more organic but I guess I can see it, haha.

Really love this mod, hope you can expand upon it. the ship sprites are *great* I love the look, its unique and different whilst feeling perfectly at home in the starfruit universe and the color scheme is fine. the ship balancing leaves them very satisfying and fun to play without being OP roflstompers.

Yeah.  I don't find completely one sided stomp fests terribly entertaining myself, so I've been aiming squarely at keeping it nicely balanced.

At least some challenge is required for it to be fun.

I remembered what they remind me of -- hulls for the Collective faction in Warzone 2100

http://guide.wz2100.net/bp/

Hmmmm... I guess I'm just not seeing it...

Anyway, I've managed to get the Enlil looking... perhaps not precisely as i wanted it, but still pretty damn good looking.

She's currently in game, though I'm still figuring out her rough balance.  I also need to write a few missions to show it off, though adding her to the campaign was simple enough to already have it done.

Spoiler

[close]

... I may need to adjust the engine contrails a little, they seem a bit thin.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »

not too much wider, it fits the look of the ship
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 12:47:46 AM »

Are you planning on doing weaponry? I can understand not wanting to do so, for various reasons, but it always looks so odd to me see such a unique architecture, the curved panels and paint jobs of your ships, with the standard Hegemony and Tri-Tach weaponry.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 04:03:29 AM »

Are you planning on doing weaponry? I can understand not wanting to do so, for various reasons, but it always looks so odd to me see such a unique architecture, the curved panels and paint jobs of your ships, with the standard Hegemony and Tri-Tach weaponry.
I agree, but I'm sure it's going to happen
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 06:41:48 AM »

not too much wider, it fits the look of the ship

Hmmmm... I suppose so.  Maybe up a point or two on the bigger engines, then.

I agree, but I'm sure it's going to happen

Honestly, weapons are harder for me to come up with ideas for than ships, and harder for me to balance around.  As Xareh has said, it is likely to happen, but probably about the time that I've actually finished the ship line and can start thinking of weapons that suit them (excepting odd cases where I'll invent a weapon to fit a niche for something like a fighter).

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 08:18:19 AM »

Do what I did, make copies of vanilla weapons (maybe with some small edits, 5 points of range for 5 points of flux and so on, just for making them fit in) with your own graphics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 107