Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1121745 times)

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.8.7rc2(05/15/19)
« Reply #1350 on: September 04, 2019, 12:59:35 AM »

So uh. The Lambent. Yeah it eats less fuel/ly, but how is that worth double the supply use for 3/4 of the fuel capacity? Rn its never a worthy tradeoff over a phaeton.

Le Edit: The front-right dynamic thrusters on the Clade and Lobatus never seem to make a flame, seems bugged.

Also, is it me or is the Lobatus not very good? It doesn't have the flux to run 2 CEPCs and win a flux war - which it has to since it can't move - and with anything shorter ranged it just gets poked to death. For 11 OP I'd rather bring another Clade or Morningstar.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 04:56:36 AM by Taverius »
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

IAmLegion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 05, 2019, 09:22:33 AM »

Personally, I find the Clade to be not very impressive.  Please upgrade its retreat drive to purposefully target friendly ships.  I need more launches in my life.  Thank you.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 05, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »

So uh. The Lambent. Yeah it eats less fuel/ly, but how is that worth double the supply use for 3/4 of the fuel capacity? Rn its never a worthy tradeoff over a phaeton.
To present a different perspective, the Lambent is my go-to choice for a tanker.  It's more fuel efficient, and doesn't require militarized subsystems, so I can install expanded fuel tanks and surveying equipment.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 06, 2019, 09:18:02 AM »

As Wyvern noted the Lambent is mainly intended to be a sort of sidegrade to the Phaeton, essentially a military logistics ship instead of civilian fuel transport. That being said it probably shouldn't be twice as expensive in terms of supply cost; I'll do a quick comparison, but that's probably just a result of me missing balance changes to the Phaeton.

As for the Lobatus, I'll agree that it has a number of issues; I'll fiddle with the ships balance and see how it works. And maybe see if I can finally figure out why it siege mode system doesn't quite power down correctly.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 06, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »

Oh, I can take a look at that if you'd like - it was my code originally, I might as well dig in and fix it.

That said, it may also be worth taking another look at what, exactly, siege mode -does-.  When I first implemented it, my idea was that it was designed to primarily give a boost to energy weapons, to encourage using them over ballistics.  As the ships that use it no longer have the option of mounting ballistic weapons, that entire notion is a bit obsolete.

In fact, I might even suggest turning it around entirely; the AI doesn't really know what to do with a ship system that slows it down, but if you made the hulls normally slow, then a "pursuit mode" system that diverted power from other systems to engines might be easier to get the AI to make proper use of?
...On the other hand, ships with mobility systems are pretty common; doing something different is definitely worth consideration.  And you could get a lot of the same sort of result with, say, a low base speed and a built-in hull mod that just amplifies the zero flux speed bonus.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 06, 2019, 04:51:29 PM »

It'd be appreciated, thanks.

As for changes in the system itself, it's not clear what changes shouyld be pursued to uh... I guess modernize it? It is sort of a legacy system at this point, some reconsideration of how it works and what it's meant to do should probably happen.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 06, 2019, 06:27:11 PM »

Found it - the base shield unfold rate of the Lobatus is higher than that of the Tartarus, presumably a side-effect of it being a destroyer rather than a cruiser.  To fix, in MSTartarusShieldFinagler.java, add:
Code
                        if ("ms_lobatus".equals(ship.getHullSpec().getHullId())) {
                            mult = mult * 2.0f;
                        }
Just after the similar bit about accelerated shields.  Value of 2.0 not tested; feel free to adjust to whatever feels right.  (And double-check that whatever value you use still works properly when you install accelerated shields.  It should, but it's worth testing.)

You also might want to add to the ms_boss_charybdis to the list of ships the ShieldFinagler applies to?  I.E.:
Code
                if ("ms_tartarus".equals(ship.getHullSpec().getHullId()) || "ms_lobatus".equals(ship.getHullSpec().getHullId()) || "ms_boss_charybdis".equals(ship.getHullSpec().getHullId())) {
In place of the current line that only references the Tartarus and Lobatus.
Honestly, that part should -probably- get replaced with something that just asks "Does this ship have ms_siegemode as its system?", but I don't feel like digging through the API to find the right calls for that right this second.

That doesn't really help any with the aforementioned reconsideration of siege mode's purpose, but it should at least get it working for the ships that use it.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 06, 2019, 11:33:50 PM »

I can't speak for the energy/ballistics thing, but certainly the defense mode itself is useful on ships with the op and flux to make good use of it like the lime tart  ;)

And haven't i seen other similar systems used decently by the ai? Neutrino's Maul comes to mind but there are others I'm sure, one of the II ships? Also some sylphon. None have the combination of everything seej does but its close enough.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 08, 2019, 05:05:55 AM »

That's really odd because I can turn on more factions mods but Sylphon RD crash on startup and Shadowyards crash on saving. I don't have problem with an otherwise large list of mods, and I have 4gb of ram attributed to starsector.
Is there a way to know how much ram Shadowyards use?
Thank for your help though, that was really helpful.
What are your actual specs ? If your running the game on an integrated Gfx (intel) then chances are that out of those 4 G that you reserve for starsector, 1.75 G get actually taken/ allocated to the Gfx, as shared memory. If your on 8G ram then you could go up to 6G (possibly more) by MuRdErInG a few tasks, services and the usage of memreduct. Use Memreduct to force some sys reserved memory into the virtual, take into account that the probability of *suprise* blue screening rises exponentially with game time, but i find it to be generally, pretty safe. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:11:36 AM by Hastur »
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Starareo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 10, 2019, 08:01:11 AM »

So most of the industries are pretty new, but does the modular factory offer any benefit versus heavy industry? Also, how good is the AI at handling the ships with keeping distance in such because I've been doing some testing in the simulation with my very assault focused capital and its melting the Mimir at least. Also no one's buying my solar capacitors but that just may be because I installed the mod onto a save and the faction doesn't even really exist yet lol.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:33:51 AM by Starareo »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 10, 2019, 10:23:35 AM »

So most of the industries are pretty new, but does the modular factory offer any benefit versus heavy industry? Also, how good is the AI at handling the ships with keeping distance in such because I've been doing some testing in the simulation with my very assault focused capital and its melting the Mimir at least. Also no one's buying my solar capacitors but that just may be because I installed the mod onto a save and the faction doesn't even really exist yet lol.
Modular Factory is cheaper, superior if you don't have a nanoforge, and inferior if you have a pristine nanoforge.  I don't recall offhand how it stacks up when you have a corrupted nanoforge, though, as I tend to just go for building the regular heavy industry.

Not sure on the Mimir question; it is a very good battlecruiser, but I generally don't like letting the AI pilot my battlecruisers, so I don't have much relevant experience there.

And yes, the capacitors are only used by the modular factory, so if you don't have shadowyards around (and aren't building those yourself), you should probably avoid the solar collector industry.

Starareo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 10, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »

Thanks, that clarifies a ton for me. Is the medical facility worth it for the growth in your opinion? I modded the base game a little bit to get more industries faster so I'd probably have to revert that.

CrixM

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 11, 2019, 10:35:16 PM »

Is the rakshasa bomber a little overcosted? I understand it pays extra for survivability but its offensive payload really isnt anything special.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:46:53 AM by CrixM »

Czyrek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 12, 2019, 08:36:53 AM »

Is the rakshasa bomber a little overcosted? I understand it pays extra for survivability but it's offensive payload really isnt anything special.

I've too noticed that its not super impressive damage wise, but the fact that by the end of most battles that I still have most of them alive, does in at least some ways make up for it a bit.

Czyrek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 12, 2019, 09:14:56 AM »

Hey! I just wanted to come and say that I love your mod. The green ship colors are great looking. I'm a little sad that most of the other mods I've tried have not been as balanced to vanilla as yours seems to be, but at least I can use yours and feel its fair.

So far my strategy has been to use a Vardr battleship to soak up and deal pain on the front, with a mix of carriers (capital/cruiser/destroyer) behind and couple of clade or elesium (depending on deployment points) to shore up the flanks and chase runners. I've wanted to like the Delphi and Tartarus, but they always seem a bit slow to get into the fight, and get shot up and bow out before they ever get to do much, I found replacing their deployment points with Shikome's to be more effective or deploying them midbattle after the enemies main spear has been blunted. Does anyone have any particular strategies or ships they like to use with SRA they'd like to share c: ?
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 107