Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115432 times)

Kanil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: (0.7.1a) Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.6.0.2
« Reply #825 on: December 27, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »

Glad to see one of my favorite ships is working again. My thanks to everyone involved for sorting that out.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 28, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »

Some more feedback on the Clade: While it's an awesome ship and grand fun to fly... the AI doesn't really know how to use its ship system.  It's a neat system, and incredibly potent in the hands of the player, and I don't really want to see it removed... but I'd also kinda like to be able to give this ship to the AI.

And, unlike the Tartarus, I don't think I can write a "good-enough" AI for this one - you'd need to adjust the entire ship AI to match so it could, for example, properly aim a retreat, and ideally make the AI understand vent-cancelling, too; in my experience, it's rare that you actually want the entire jet distance.  Now, maybe if I could get a hold of... I think it was Xenoargh that had a full ship AI written?

In the meantime, though, I'd suggest splitting the Clade into two variants:

The Clade-Alpha, which is the current model, described as a high-risk high-reward prototype version that's been largely discontinued due to issues integrating its ship system into standard tactical doctrine.

And the Clade, which would use something a bit more standard - maybe a phase skimmer, or a copy of the Mimir's lock drive, or even just classic maneuvering jets?

Or, hm... if you want something the AI knows how to use, but that fits with the current "Run away!" notion, how about a special maneuvering jets style system that scales its effect with current flux levels - so the ship doesn't gain much when approaching on low flux, but can make a controlled retreat under high flux conditions?  That'd still need a bit of a custom AI so it didn't waste the activation at low flux levels, but that shouldn't be too hard to put together.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 28, 2015, 01:20:44 PM »

I was kind of afraid of that.  Hmmm... well, I'll think about it for a bit.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 28, 2015, 02:32:32 PM »

And, unlike the Tartarus, I don't think I can write a "good-enough" AI for this one - you'd need to adjust the entire ship AI to match so it could, for example, properly aim a retreat, and ideally make the AI understand vent-cancelling, too; in my experience, it's rare that you actually want the entire jet distance.  Now, maybe if I could get a hold of... I think it was Xenoargh that had a full ship AI written?

Custom ship AI that works at least as well as vanilla is a pipe dream unless... A master coder spends an insane amount of time on it, honestly it will never happen and is a complete pipe dream.

Ceebees

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 28, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »

Since i've been going through the SRA kit as i find it, today's Tiny Quibbles are on the Barrago LRM - it works fine on missile turrets, but the missiles are offset incorrectly against the launcher when put in hardpoints. Also, the ball 'o bloom when they hit is a little eye-searing considering the comparatively small amount of damage they do. Aaand those first-stage sabots kinda clutter up the place after a couple dozen Barrago... uh, barrages.

Spoiler
[close]

Unrelatedly, i understand why having three military markets was too much, but why is Gravitas/Theramin the Yardie Fun Toys depot instead of Euripedes/Prana Vanu?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:04:06 PM by Ceebees »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 28, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

Oogh.

I thought I'd fixed that already... but looking back on it now, I'm pretty sure I was only starting to fix it when I got distracted by a more pressing issue, which my brain took as fixing it.  Stupid brain.

As for Theramin being the Yardies military market, that's mostly Lore reasons amounting to a combination of having valuable artifacts which need defending and without which Theramin would be significantly less habitable, and a bit of a safety measure to make sure that SRA leadership can't be entirely gutted from a single unexpected event.  Also because Military Bases seem to generate Military Markets, even without such being otherwise specified.

I could probably shift it around with some more custom market conditions if it's really a problem.

Ceebees

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 28, 2015, 03:18:09 PM »

Nah, The Gravitas vs Prana Vanu thing isn't a problem. I just hadn't checked the market tags on the intel screen, and so was a little perplexed the first time i visited the "premier ship-building complex in yardie space" and they didn't even stock a Tartarus for me to ogle.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 30, 2015, 02:50:14 AM »

Just tried a playtrough with SRA commission, they really need some markets that are closer to sector core (hopefully military markets) as Anar is too secluded from any other system and Gigas is quite empty and very hard to traverse because of jump points far from the planets + insanely large corona and asteroid field covering the entire system. Maybe add 1-2 systems from northwest of Anar to make SRA more attractive to fight for. Also the High Capacity Storage resource is useless as no market produces it in sufficient quality for the price to fall below average, no market needs it and the per unit price point is low enough to make less profitable to trade than raw metal.

I really love the design of Lambent's bridge + all of the other designs look cool and distinctive.

Most SRA weapons are worse than the vanilla counterparts (though not as bad as before the last patch).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:15:54 AM by Bastion.Systems »

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 30, 2015, 03:14:35 AM »

Shamash/Scylla are missing the 'Phase Field' built-in hull mod.

Edit: After some thinking I reckon the Scatter CEPC should reload in clips which contain a full buckshot's worth of charges.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:52:25 AM by Taverius »
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 30, 2015, 07:33:51 AM »

Just tried a playtrough with SRA commission, they really need some markets that are closer to sector core (hopefully military markets) as Anar is too secluded from any other system and Gigas is quite empty and very hard to traverse because of jump points far from the planets + insanely large corona and asteroid field covering the entire system. Maybe add 1-2 systems from northwest of Anar to make SRA more attractive to fight for. Also the High Capacity Storage resource is useless as no market produces it in sufficient quality for the price to fall below average, no market needs it and the per unit price point is low enough to make less profitable to trade than raw metal.

I really love the design of Lambent's bridge + all of the other designs look cool and distinctive.

Most SRA weapons are worse than the vanilla counterparts (though not as bad as before the last patch).

On the first point, I'd been considering adding some outpost stations to some of the Vanilla systems, but wasn't entirely sure how to go about doing it.  I'll see what I can manage.

And balance is an ongoing thing, and the weapons are no exception.

Shamash/Scylla are missing the 'Phase Field' built-in hull mod.

Edit: After some thinking I reckon the Scatter CEPC should reload in clips which contain a full buckshot's worth of charges.

Phase anchors are not quite the same thing as a phase coil, and one of the ways in which this is so is that they aren't really a stealth system; that being said the core idea behind that (that phase anchors create a blindingly incandescent p-space projection--visible to the naked eye--in real space) is kinda silly, so I might drop it.  If I do, they'll get the reduced sensor profile effect.

As for the Scatter, that's a screw up; it's supposed to do so, but I was fiddling with the buckshot script Cyc uses for the Volley Gun and Ironweaver ADC--which I ultimately ended up not using because it kept causing the game to freeze--and while I was doing this one of the things I ended up doing was removing the reload size statistic.  Forgot to put it back it, oops.  Fixed it now.

Guess I'll need to put out another small bug fix release later today.

Ceebees

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 30, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »

On the first point, I'd been considering adding some outpost stations to some of the Vanilla systems, but wasn't entirely sure how to go about doing it.  I'll see what I can manage.

If you don't mind the saying-so, four-fifths of Tiandong stations are added to vanilla systems, and it both works great and includes source code. Unless you meant narratively how instead of technically how, in which case... Yma or Magec, Yardies come bearing reconstruction aid for decivilized worlds? Possibly even Askonia to 'liberate' the place, as it already has a local resistance movement, and it's nearest to their corner of the map.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:55:17 AM by Ceebees »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 30, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »

Well, it's really mostly a matter of forgetting; way back when the only way to get your stuff into the campaign was to modify Corvus, and it'd been so long that I'd forgotten how.  Judging by Tiandong's code and my old archival code, the methodology does not appear to have changed much.

As for location I'm still kinda deciding, but Magec was on my list (though given that Tiandong has residence there might make the system a little crowded, so perhaps Yma instead) and Valhalla or Askonia to have a military base in a mostly hostile system.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:59:52 AM by MShadowy »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 30, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »

Alright, 0.6.0.3 release.

Changelog:

• Added 2 SRA stations to vanilla systems
    • Outpost Tiger, an SRA firebase from the Askonia Crisis, is in a trojan orbit with Umbra in Askonia
    • Udana Station, an overcrowded and isolated station built to help manage the humanitarian crisis from the end of the second AI War, orbits Hanan Pacha in Yma
  • Fixed a missile placement issue with the hardpoint version of the Barrago
  • Fixed an oversight which accidentally removed the magazine reloading on the Scatter CEPC
  • Forgot to mention, fixed a typo that I kept making where I would type Belet as Belit which was keeping the Belet-Seri's description from appearing

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:03:34 PM by MShadowy »

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: (0.7.1a) Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.6.0.3
« Reply #838 on: December 31, 2015, 12:22:07 AM »

Thanks!

Just a random thought: do you have any thoughts on changing the Overdrive ship system to be more competitive?  It feels very inferior compared to Accelerated Ammo Feeder, for example, which has no negative effect, and even discounts weapon flux cost. (which makes it very good now, I thought it was good enough before that was added)

This comes mainly from my experiences repeatedly trying and failing to incorporate Southpaws into my fleet; the poor thing has a hardpoint layout that makes it hard to love (the AI has issues flying it), and the ship system doesn't do it any favors. =(

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
Re: (0.7.1a) Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.6.0.3
« Reply #839 on: December 31, 2015, 02:51:58 AM »

You work fast  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 107