Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115509 times)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (0.6.2a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.4.7b
« Reply #630 on: September 17, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »

Askonia is a mystery; the slot and weapon are both decorative, so that really shouldn't have happened.

Also, new dev version; the only real game changes are some tweaking to the Assault Beamer (which has also recieved a name change, and is now the 'Murti' Charged Anti-Ship beam) increasing it's range, firing duration and cooldown as well as some iffy adjustment to the damage to keep it at roughly the same spot.  Also revised it's description.

Other than that, added surface maps for the ships, and finally got around to putting together material maps for Shadowyards weapons.

=dev download=

Let me know if the changes are too broken.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:13:06 PM by MShadowy »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 22, 2014, 09:12:10 PM »

Alright, next dev is available; this adds the Ashnan-class frigate, a small mostly defenseless civilian cargo hauler.

Also turned Exerelin compatibility back on, now that that mod is once again being actively maintained, and did some touch up the Enlil, Morningstar, Sargasso and (arguably unnecessarily) the Charybdis.  Hopefully there won't be too many issues.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 24, 2014, 05:56:23 AM »

A strange issue: the scatter CEPC creates a white line along it's barrel after it fires that slowly disappears as it recharges.

Moving on: I really like the Sesky, such an annoying mosquito, nothing like one of these buzzing around you as you try to face your destroyer and onward to kill it. ( good thing it dies once you sneeze on it)

-The Mimir is the epitome of battle cruisers in my book, good speed and turn rate plus battleship-like offensive power and a phase system? What more could you want?

-The Scylla is basically what the Doom should have been in the first place. ( something you really fear coming out of P-space).

-Tartarus is best for slugging' it against other cruisers ( I like giving it 2 heavy needlers and 1 hellbore in it's front, see enemies pop).

-I like the pirate converted ships as a cheap and reliant way of hunting smaller game than yourself. (Any chance of a pirate cap ship made from spare Mimir/cruiser parts?)

-Weapon wise I think they could use a large missile as they currently lack one.

-Perhaps an offensive hull mod for these energy/missile lovers?

-The mod seems well balanced from my point of view, no ship/weapon to keep you from using anything else because it's just better.

Well that's my 2 cents, have a nice day.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:11:59 AM by Sabaton »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 27, 2014, 02:31:31 PM »

That's an issue with the default glow; I really need to make a glow sprite for the Scatter in the hopes of doing away with that.  Thanks for your other comments, sounds like things are roughly as desired.

Anyway, next dev ready:

Add's the Deva, a larger version of the Murti class beamer, sounds for both Deva and Murti, and the Urumi point defense laser.  This is really just a balance release, and I urge everyone to go over the new weapons and let me know if they need nerfing.  Also added a similar charge effect (essentially copied) from the AM Lance to the Mimir's Nidhoggr.  That's all for now.

Edit: Forgot to edit at the time, but updated the dev with the variants I forgot to integrate.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:12:31 PM by MShadowy »

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 27, 2014, 03:08:11 PM »

You can take on the HDF with a single Mimir, I think.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 03, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »

Feedback time!

The following testing was done with a stripped Mimir, no hull mods, vents, capacitors or skills whatsoever
 3 Deva beams for the large slots, fan Pd for the small ones, no mediums, rockets or use of the lance.

The testing subjects were various ships and fighters from vanilla and SS+ ( the mod itself, no auxiliary factions).

The fan Pd guns were a bit of an oddball for me, even thou they were easily capable of tracking fighters they seemed to be better at causing burnouts than causing much damage very quick, thou that wasn't much of an issue as they would collide against my shields then.
 Shielded fighters can be a bit of a nuisance as the burst nature of the fan PD doesn't put enough pressure to cause an overload ( a thing even more obvious against the high tech family), but all it takes is for them to pass over you to get a shot in the rear and caput.
 Anti missile capabilities are very good, solitary or small groups of missiles have little chances of getting through (unless they are very fast, like Sabot) but Salamanders and Piliums can suck it. Torpedoes also have little hopes unless they're fast.

Moving on to da big boyz.

Three Deva beams are unforgiving, both for player and enemy, one full burst from all 3 will raise your flux level from 0 to around 50% in an instant, cautious use is paramount.
 That being said they are VERY strong against non high tech frigs and destroyers ( one burst can be enough to overload/seriously affect/destroy your average Enforcer, Vanguard, Hammerhead etc). But hey, they're LARGE burst weapons, kinda expected.
  However, their pwnage fades against cruisers and caps, (even more so if high tech) forcing you think very carefully about when/where to shoot. Not to mention the generated flux can screw you over in a hearth beat.
  One example is against a Barbarian, full burst will raise its flux to 95%, while against an Aurora it will only be at about 60%.
 Against a Dominator 60% against a Zenith 40%. (again, this is expected against such opponents)
  The long recharge and mediocre range further keep you from going on a power craze.

My final conclusion is that the new weapons don't need any further rebalancing. Good additions all around.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:57:37 PM by Sabaton »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »

Phew, good to hear.  I definitely appreciate the in depth analysis you've provided.  Many thanks.

Aside from getting these new portraits done, it sounds like things are mostly ready for the next release then.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »

I've sat down to test the new iterations of the beams.
TL;DR Murti is good, the deva is ok, and urumi is situational.

Spoiler
Urumi: I didn't have such a good experience with small missiles and an urumi. Because they have 3 beams only the center one hits smaller missiles (or front of harpoons). Big missiles like reapers are stopped fantastically though. Salamanders too because they your sides so often all 3 beams typically hit it. If every friendly ship has urumis for pd then it becomes a web of shooting the harpoons off your friends. The more you have the better they get (faster than the similar burst PD). They have an easier time dealing with fighters than burst PD. Overall the Urumi is more situational than burst PD, but it is good if your PD is likely going to be shooting the same target as your main weapons. (eg: i use urumi on the front of hammerhead and burst PD on the back). If the PD is a little sparse (like on an afflictor) then i'll opt for a burst PD instead.

Murti: It is a good strike weapon. I'm personally kinda sad it does explosive damage now. I really liked when it was like a beam flavor of mining blaster. The shaking it causes on enemy ships is kinda nice though. It can throw off their aim. Using it now feels like an AM blaster with infinite ammo that only works on armor (and hull).

Deva: The deva is an ok strike weapon. If you can keep their shields down you'll only ever need 1 to strip armor off even the toughest of ships. The shaking is still handy for cruisers and capitals, but it's detrimental against destroyers and frigates. It sometimes shakes them out of the beams. When i managed to hit the center of mass on destroyers it'd frequently kill them in a single shot though. It also feels a little expensive OP wise. Even on a Tartarus i had a little trouble using it and mounting enough weapons to keep the enemy flux full. I actually had to use arbalests and graviton beams and (regular) CEPCs to kill other cruisers (and have enough of my reserve flux capacity to fire the deva).  Sunders also become hilarious assassins when they mount one. They're entirely dependent on other ships to kill shields, but they can sneak in and rip the armor off a dominator like it's been hit by a reaper. And because it's a big fat energy weapon they can do it repeatedly.
[close]

I forgot to try the mimir's new weapon effect.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 08, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »

My gut feeling with the Murti and Deva is that for damaging armor overall, I'm probably better off with Phase Beams and HILs or Autopulse Lasers in those slots. The long recharge time and the HE damage type limit them to use against low-tech ships for me. I do like the shaking, though.

The Deva is hilarious if you manage to get in behind a Dominator or Onslaught; it would be fun to see a Sunder-like SHI hull.

(if I have BRDY installed, I'm using Sunfires and Sunstorms; lower DPS and burst damage, but faster reloading and a higher chance of a really solid hit when shields are down)

The Urumi is decent, but really shines against fighters. I think the new red-orange energy weapons look enormously better than the green of older weapons, BTW; any hope of a general changeover?

I liked the fatter CEPC bolts, but felt the tails were too long. Half values in those fields look pretty good to me, but it's your call;
Spoiler
[close]

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 21, 2014, 07:50:53 AM »

Well, crap.

Now in addition to all the other stuff I need to do in relation to getting SHI compatible with 0.65a, I now also need to rewrite the factions backstory, at least somewhat.

I don't really know where to start.  Except maybe curse you David Baauuummgaaaaaaaaaaaaaart! *shakes fist*

Quote from: MShadowy
[8:32:52 AM] MShadowy: Yeah, my understanding of the Domain prior to this release was one of it being essentially a "secular" theocracy--hence the Ecumenical part of its name--or military dictatorship.
[8:36:43 AM] ... my underlaying reasoning was essentially based on how poorly equipped the Sector was, particularly as pertained to qualified personnel.  All, or almost all, material related to the colonization was being imported from outside the Sector and the personnel being brought in were essentially technicians.
[8:37:55 AM] The Domain also maintained (presumably) a very large fleet, which I expected was primarily used to quell rebellions or independent nationalist movements.
[8:41:31 AM] -Regardless-, I had concluded that the primary reasoning behind the lack of personnel, useful technological data, etc. was essentially a form of hostage holding.  i.e. That the Domains best tool of control was to essential denude the colony worlds of anything that wouyld(sic) allow them to actually be independent.
[8:42:25 AM] At least until such a point as the Domain had sufficient resources on hand so as to decisively crush any nativist movements.
[8:42:47 AM] That's all up in the air now and needs some reconsidering.

Essentially, as I developed the faction, one of the core conceits of SHI's backstory became the idea that the Domain was a lot less likeable (though obviously still preferable to the Sectors current anarchy) than the early story concepts painted them.

Also, thanks for all the feedback on the Deva and Murti, guys!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:00:29 AM by MShadowy »

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 21, 2014, 11:27:54 AM »

Well, crap.

Now in addition to all the other stuff I need to do in relation to getting SHI compatible with 0.65a, I now also need to rewrite the factions backstory, at least somewhat.

I don't really know where to start.  Except maybe curse you David Baauuummgaaaaaaaaaaaaaart! *shakes fist*
I confess to being very confused by this (though not unsympathetic). ???

Why do you feel your faction background needs a rewrite? Where, precisely, did you find data that appears to invalidate what you have previously written? What is the source?
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 21, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »

I confess to being very confused by this (though not unsympathetic). ???

Why do you feel your faction background needs a rewrite? Where, precisely, did you find data that appears to invalidate what you have previously written? What is the source?

You've got a point there; maybe getting a little too hasty.  Though it's probably best to just let it remain ambiguous; both sides have a vision of the Domain that they just so happen to vehemently disagree on, heh.

Also, campaign integration coming along:

Though SHI's economy might be... uh...

A little... excessively good.

Gonna do a bit of rebalancing, and if it is at all possible, try and set up custom market conditions.  Also, stations still spawning in the wrong spots for reasons I cannot really explain.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:08 PM »

Oh man, I can't wait.

And ha, that Sun Station.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 22, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »

Alright, quickly popping by with a dev version.  Hopefully this'll be the last one; right now, nothing is really balanced, and there may be strange issues.  Remember that you'll need the latest version of LazyLib for this to work.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 22, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »

Going to give it a try. I'll miss my level 39 character though. :'(

EDIT: Found this. The Phase Energy Projector is right next to it.

Also woah, those stations! Awesome.

EDIT Again: The Ashnan is finally useful to me now. Didn't do much with it back in 0.6.2a.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:57:00 PM by Nanao-kun »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 107