Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115257 times)

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
Re: (0.6.1a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.4.3
« Reply #525 on: April 10, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »

What exactly does the Sargasso's Fighter Control Relay do?

+1, always wanted to know what that thing was supposed to do.

I had a look into the code and it seems to severly buff most stats of fighters.
That means: Autofire Accuracy, Ballistic and Energy weapon range and speed and maneuverability.

If you're playing a carrier fleet this ship is a wonderful asset to the whole fleet, SHI definitely has the advantage there over other fleets also a Charybdis (Carrier) is a really nice flagship imo.

Oh, I somehow just flew over the rest of Helmut's observations.
It's been a while since I played SHI but I always felt that carrier fleets with a good mix of their own fighters were pretty strong compared to others.
My "endgame fleet" around level 30 to 40 was a single Charybdis, 2 wings of Raksashas and 2 wings of Skinwalkers. I killed anything with that, no matter what.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:03:06 PM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 10, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »

I had a look into the code and it seems to severly buff most stats of fighters.
That means: Autofire Accuracy, Ballistic and Energy weapon range and speed and maneuverability.

If you're playing a carrier fleet this ship is a wonderful asset to the whole fleet, SHI definitely has the advantage there over other fleets also a Charybdis (Carrier) is a really nice flagship imo.

Oh, I somehow just flew over the rest of Helmut's observations.
It's been a while since I played SHI but I always felt that carrier fleets with a good mix of their own fighters were pretty strong compared to others.
My "endgame fleet" around level 30 to 40 was a single Charybdis, 2 wings of Raksashas and 2 wings of Skinwalkers. I killed anything with that, no matter what.

Aye.  The idea, in the end, was that the Sargasso would remain in the back and buff friendly fighters.  I'll try and get said numbers to actually display.

Anyway i recently played a carrier based fleet with SHI. I found them a bit... Underwhelming. At least at the start.

The Neriad is a good multi-role craft, and it's also bloody fast, perfect ship to grab strategic points at the star of the battle. It's not worth a Thunder wing in my opinion though, the ion cannon on the vanilla fighter is incredibly annoying, also the Harpoon hit harder than the Shrike. The Neriad may have one more fighter in their wings but their assault gun tend to miss quite a lot. A good support ship but definitely not the backbone of the fleet.

Yeah, I'm planning on replacing the Neriads main gun soon; probably either some kind of really rapid fire bullet hose kinda weapon or perhaps a burst firing flak "canister" gun.  Whatever, she needs some work, the design ideas for the craft are way behind my current thinking.

The Skinwalker is a pretty good heavy fighter. The particle cannon is what really make it scary as it is much better to intercept other fighters than the Neriad assault gun. The missiles are a good addon but not the main reason i choose to field those in number.

The Skinwalker, aye, is currently quite nice.  With the addition of her bit drones I feel like she's got a good character to her now and she's decently powerful.

The Raksasha is a decent craft even though it clearly lack the punch of other bombers. The good point of the Tusk torpedo is that it never miss its target but that's all, it can't wreck big ships like Piranhas or Daggers can. It's not bad but not great either.

I'm a little hesitant to let the Raksasha carry two Tusks though; as you noted the torpedo rarely misses due to how it's designed and four tusks--between two bombers--is a lot of pretty much guaranteed damage.

I didn't had much occasion to try the Kobold as i had some trouble getting this fighter. But for the few times i tried it, it seemed to be a different Rakshasha. Couldn't find if the Splinter launcher was kinetic or explosive. I'm not sure what to say about this one.

There are currently behavior issues with the Kobold, I'm going to need to kludge together some scripting shennanigans to ensure that she keeps station at a proper range rather than charges, lemming like, right next to her target.

Currently SHI lack a proper interceptor in my opinion. For now their fleets seems to rely on TTs Wasps to do this job. Another thing that hurt them a lot, all of their fighters use missiles and come back to their carrier to reload when they fire it. It can be very problematic when you try to swarm the enemy fleet and keep their PD busy to open the way to bombers. Also if your fleet lack enough fighter bays to re-arm them fast enough, fighters will engage the enemy by "wave" rather than together, and getting shredded by concentrated PD fire.

These weakness are a bit smoothened by the Charybdis, as it is probably the best battlecarrier in the game. But Sargassos alone can't support the rest of the fleet as a Charybdis can.

A proper fleet carrier may be joining the lineup.  As for the interceptors, hopefully revisions to the Neriads weapons will fix that but who knows?  E:  If it doesn't there's always the possibility of throwing in 4-5 strong wings of Autonomous Interceptor craft.

Also the missile thing is something I'm aware of, and am still trying to fix.

Also on a completly different note, will you plan one day at developping those red/white stripped ships? (pic probably NSWF)

-snip-

Uh, didn't have any plans no, that's just kind of a random pinup.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:23:24 PM by MShadowy »

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 10, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »

That art is nice though. It's got a... er... amazing foreground.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 10, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »

... eheh.  Um, thanks?  I'm not super creative so attracting attention with that kinda lowbrow stuff is all I'm really good for.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 10, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »

I'm a little hesitant to let the Raksasha carry two Tusks though; as you noted the torpedo rarely misses due to how it's designed and four tusks--between two bombers--is a lot of pretty much guaranteed damage.

Actually that doesn't sound too excessive.

After a few more hours, i finally reached an end-game fleet in Uomoz mod (and managed to add the last SHI release with it). When doing some SHI vs SHI fight, both the enemy and i have a lot of trouble taking down big ships (Mimir, Charybdis etc..). The Raksasha lack the alpha strike to burst open the big ones, it always turn into attrition warfare where i'm trying to blow up all the small ships to be able to swarm to death the biggest ones.

With other bombers, i usually point my finger at the target and say "kill" to obliterate big ships in one or two pass. Doesn't work with SHI bomber. Adding another torpedo to the Raksasha could help a lot, some other parts of this craft may need to be nerfed a bit if it happen though.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 10, 2014, 07:21:49 PM »

... eheh.  Um, thanks?  I'm not super creative so attracting attention with that kinda lowbrow stuff is all I'm really good for.
Well you've definitely got my attention. :P

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 16, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »

Alright, dev version updated again.

Alright, rough list of changes in this dev:

* Raksasha's now carry two tusk torpedoes.
* Medium Tusk launcher, 'Narwahl,' added.
     - At Cycerins suggestion, made the spread of Tusk bomblets significantly tighter
* Renamed the Wavebeam to Wavepulse Cannon
     - Currently experimenting with a critical hit script that should add ~100 dps
* Added details of the utilized bonuses to the Sargasso's fighter control relay, and simplified the AI so that it should operate more consistently.
* Wrote descriptions for several ship systems - for Mimir, Seski, Elysium, Shamash and Tartarus.
* Rewrote the Elysiums description to reflect changes in it's background lore.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:01:30 PM by MShadowy »

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 20, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »

I hope you don't take offense to this, but I got bored and added P9's reactor cores to the Sargasso, changed it's color scheme, and added parts from other Shadowyard ships to it.

It can no longer support fighters now however.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 20, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »

I gave the new version a test. Got to level 16 so far. I basically only have points in leaderships for a big carrier fleet.

The narwhal is only 5 op. That makes it a total no brainer to put on medium mounts. If it was more like 10 op it'd be fine. I like that there is a bit of randomness for the tusk missiles curvature so sometimes they hit in a very tighter cluster. Sometimes it is like before and it uniformly take off the armor from about 3/4 of the ship.

Sargassos are really cheap at 2 logistics. I guess the trade off is they're 11 deployment, but don't have a ton of punch. I see the ship system working for sure now though and it is pretty awesome. I want to keep it on as much as possible so i make lots of use of the Harmonic Shield Conduit (HSC) in a Sargasso.

I don't use the HSC much in other ships because i'm so active vent happy but the AI makes good used of them. I'm a little fuzzy on how much they increase vent speed, but it feels faster at any rate. Like if i have 1000 hard flux on a mimir does that increase my passive venting speed by 100 flux/s? Then as it ticks down 99 then 98 and so on?

I like the option like drones added to the skinwalkers. They add some needed punch.

The kobolds are amazing at overwhelming enemy PD. The fighters draw fire the missiles draw fire and their flares draw fire. Even low tech ships have trouble keeping up with them. Though because they strafe so much in a wobbly fashion the missiles are wildly inaccurate. Maybe 1 in 5 hit an enemy destroyer traveling in a straight line while fleeing while crashmothballed. Against enemies that return fire, tying up PD is totally worth it. Barbette is a good PD weapon too so they're decent defensively too. Their info has a wonky thing to it though for weapons it says "1X(in white), 1x(in yellow) splinter rocket (kobold variant), 1X(in yellow) barbette PD system".

The neriad afterburner makes them the best point cappers. I send them to get a point and they do. Only hyperions are faster, barely. They also afterburn through withering enemy fire too though and that gets tedious. They are also really love to restock their shrikes. So they sometimes starve the bombers for flight decks.

Raksashas have their tusk rack over their sprite and it looks a little odd. It might be better if it was below. Though they look kinda adorable with their little horns after they've emptied the rack.

That's all i've looked at carefully for now.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #534 on: April 21, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »

I hope you don't take offense to this, but I got bored and added P9's reactor cores to the Sargasso, changed it's color scheme, and added parts from other Shadowyard ships to it.

That . . . totally looks like a face to me now. o.O

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 22, 2014, 05:08:03 AM »

Raksashas have their tusk rack over their sprite and it looks a little odd. It might be better if it was below. Though they look kinda adorable with their little horns after they've emptied the rack.

I think it's impossible having weapons under the ship sprite. You can make some tricks that give the illusion it is under though.

Nanao, i would like seeing more work from you. This one is pretty sweet looking.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 22, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »

I think it's impossible having weapons under the ship sprite. You can make some tricks that give the illusion it is under though.

Nanao, i would like seeing more work from you. This one is pretty sweet looking.
Eh, the thing is pretty much entirely copy and paste really.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »

I gave the new version a test. Got to level 16 so far. I basically only have points in leaderships for a big carrier fleet.

The narwhal is only 5 op. That makes it a total no brainer to put on medium mounts. If it was more like 10 op it'd be fine. I like that there is a bit of randomness for the tusk missiles curvature so sometimes they hit in a very tighter cluster. Sometimes it is like before and it uniformly take off the armor from about 3/4 of the ship.

Hmmm, yeah I'd based the launcher basically directly off of the Reaper launcher, guess I didn't think about it hard enough.  I'll adjust the OP cost so it's a little more reasonable.  As for the bomblets, good to hear, that's about as intended.

Sargassos are really cheap at 2 logistics. I guess the trade off is they're 11 deployment, but don't have a ton of punch. I see the ship system working for sure now though and it is pretty awesome. I want to keep it on as much as possible so i make lots of use of the Harmonic Shield Conduit (HSC) in a Sargasso.

I don't use the HSC much in other ships because i'm so active vent happy but the AI makes good used of them. I'm a little fuzzy on how much they increase vent speed, but it feels faster at any rate. Like if i have 1000 hard flux on a mimir does that increase my passive venting speed by 100 flux/s? Then as it ticks down 99 then 98 and so on?

The maths on the HSC are a little fuzzy, so it gives sort of a bell curve kind of effect where the boost to dissipation is highest somewhere in the middles; it's essentially soft capped.  As for the actual degree of benefit I'd have to do some math to figure it out, and as I'm not terribly great with math (the formula the hull mod uses was offered up by Debido) I'm not so sure how accurate the result would be.

I'm glad you like how the Sargasso is going now, though it should have been working all this time, it just didn't indicate the effects because I never got around to including that code because I'm kinda dumb.  I still want to add some kind of visual effect to show the edge of it's range, but haven't even decided what that effect would be yet.

I like the option like drones added to the skinwalkers. They add some needed punch.

:)

The kobolds are amazing at overwhelming enemy PD. The fighters draw fire the missiles draw fire and their flares draw fire. Even low tech ships have trouble keeping up with them. Though because they strafe so much in a wobbly fashion the missiles are wildly inaccurate. Maybe 1 in 5 hit an enemy destroyer traveling in a straight line while fleeing while crashmothballed. Against enemies that return fire, tying up PD is totally worth it. Barbette is a good PD weapon too so they're decent defensively too. Their info has a wonky thing to it though for weapons it says "1X(in white), 1x(in yellow) splinter rocket (kobold variant), 1X(in yellow) barbette PD system".

The wonky info thing is a result of trying to use a spoofed "gun" which was intended to make the Kobolds back off a bit; I wanted them to keep their distance rather than attempt to facecheck their targets.  Used a script to swap about weapon projectiles so that it would not actually do damage but there was no actual effect on the fighters behavior.  I just forgot to remove it, aheh.

In any case, sounds like they've got a potentially excellent use as a distraction to PD systems as is, so maybe I'll keep them how they are now, though I may make some changes to their rocket launcher to make it a little less inaccurate.

The neriad afterburner makes them the best point cappers. I send them to get a point and they do. Only hyperions are faster, barely. They also afterburn through withering enemy fire too though and that gets tedious. They are also really love to restock their shrikes. So they sometimes starve the bombers for flight decks.

I need to set up a custom AI for their burn drive so that they don't do it while too close to whatever they're attacking, probably; it is obnoxious to be sure, especially since the AI seems unable to really account for that level of speed while trying to make shots.  As for the missiles, I guess that's probably something arising from their guns being anti-fighter weapons and the shrikes being anti-ship weapons.  Perhaps swapping the missile out for a black cap launcher or something?

That's all i've looked at carefully for now.

Hmmm, guess I forgot to hide the missile rack (though I did also change the fighters sprite to account for the wider launch area); I'll have a look at it and see what I can do, though I guess I'll keep the horns, heh.

Anyway, thanks; your critique is always a great help.

Huh.  It does look like a face now kinda.  Well, regardless I hardly mind people playing around with my stuff.

I should probably try and make a greeble sheet or something so people can actually kitbash if they want.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #538 on: April 22, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »

I've noticed the AI seems to have problems with the Illanna frigate or whatever (the "left hook"). It makes a fantastic player frigate due to it's relatively high firepower for its size, but the AI seems to have difficulty bringing the guns to bear consistently. I usually find them pointing their bow directly at me rather than broadside like one would expect.

Just something to make note of anyway. Great mod :D

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 22, 2014, 01:34:26 PM »

I've noticed the AI seems to have problems with the Illanna frigate or whatever (the "left hook"). It makes a fantastic player frigate due to it's relatively high firepower for its size, but the AI seems to have difficulty bringing the guns to bear consistently. I usually find them pointing their bow directly at me rather than broadside like one would expect.

Just something to make note of anyway. Great mod :D
Unfortunately that's a problem the game has with all asymmetrical ships.

With the vanilla ships this is not so much of a problem, because they're still fairly symmetrical, but the AI code that recognizes the need to broadside just can't cope with only being able to broadside from one side.

As a result ships like the SHI Inanna and the BRDY Gonodactylus tend to have ... spotty performance in AI hands :)
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 107