Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115591 times)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: (0.6.1a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.4.2.2
« Reply #465 on: October 06, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »

So, for some reason I decided to give FTL another try.  As a result, my weekend has vanished on me, and I've recalled why I stopped playing FTL in the first place.

Why? :o

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 06, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »

So, for some reason I decided to give FTL another try.  As a result, my weekend has vanished on me, and I've recalled why I stopped playing FTL in the first place.

Why? :o

Because it's a level 87 time vampire of doom. At least as powerful as total war, xcom and civilization.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #467 on: October 06, 2013, 05:20:41 PM »

Ooooooh... Thanks for the warning. :D

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (0.6.1a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.4.2.3
« Reply #468 on: October 09, 2013, 07:30:31 PM »

Well, it also doesn't help that the time vampire nature of FTL makes more apparent what I consider to be some fairly problematic issues with FTL's event based gameplay, but that's getting a bit off topic, especially after a couple days of the topic laying fallow.

Spoiler
In short I feel like FTL is the kind of game that wears out its welcome extremely quickly, but which abuses player psychology to keep a person (or at least me) playing while they're no longer having fun.  Also the unlock system is simultaneously the only reason to really play it and the worst part about it.  Ultimately it's not a game I have much fun playing beyond the first few sessions of any given relapse, but after a time I kind of forget this and want to try it out again.
[close]

In any case, the next release is finally ready, which is a bit sad given how sparse it is.

0.4.2.3 Changelog:
  • Excepting fighters and phase ships, all Shadowyards vessels now have running lights.
    • Totally original idea, I know. -sarcasm
  • Adjusted Shadowyards frigates speeds downwards to account for nav buoys increasing their combat speeds.
    • Enlils speed reduced to 150 from 160.
    • Seskis speed reduced to 185 from 225.
    • Shamash's speed reduced to 170 from 200.
    • Inanna's speed reduced to 150 from... uh, 170?
  • Adjusted the supply costs for the Sargasso down sharply; from 5 to 2.
  • Some minor book-keeping changes in relation to how SHI tracked it's relationships with other (default) factions.  Also, they no longer get along with the Sindrian Diktat.
  • Tweaked the Codex entry on the standard CEPC to more accurately reflect the front loaded nature of the weapons output.
  • Added a smaller version of the Euripides landing screen so that its less likely to show the empty sky or desert.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:38:43 PM by MShadowy »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 09, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »

Noice! (Have you played UsS recently? :D)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 09, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »

Not as much as I would have liked.  Only just got around to downloading the latest dev version a little while ago, but its looking pretty cool so far.

Jazzrish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 09, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »

wanna suggest again that modify "suppliesPerMarinePerDay":0.1 in ..\\shadow_ships\data\config\settings.json to 0.02.
the change comes with 0.6.1a(..\\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json).
it is ridiculous that a marine cost 10 times more than a crew, and that made the boarding boring in 0.6a.
sorry for my english..

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 09, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »

Oh, geeze, I had somehow completely failed to notice that the marine cost had been dropped so seriously.

Jazzrish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 10, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »

;)
sorry for my english..

momerathe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »

So, for fun I decided to do a game using only Shadowyards ships (except tugs) so I could properly get to know the mod. here's a few thoughts:

Shamash Frigate - I love this frigate. With two antimatter blasters it's a real ship killer, and speed and phase make it great fun to fly. This is the first time I've really used phase ships this much. Only downside is the AI doesn't seem to great at using it in the above configuration.

Inanna Frigate - I'm too malcoordinated to fly this and keep the guns pointed in the right direction. Useful for sending to capture nav buoys though.

Morningstar Destroyer - nice all-rounder. the sensor drones really help it engage larger ships.

Sargasso Carrier - I only fielded it twice, and both times it got killed. I think it could use more PD

Elysium Cruiser - what does the special weapon even do? seemed completely ineffective when I tried to use it

Tartarus Cruiser - good all-round cruiser, though i didn't use siege mode all that much. I initially rolled with needlers and a hellbore, but kept running out of flux, so switched to using a plasma cannon (yes, that does sound counter-intuitive..) and leaving the front slots empty. Not the most exciting ship to pilot, then then I'm not a big fan of piloting big ships, with the exception of

Scylla Cruiser - what an awesome ship. with two plasma cannons (you may see a pattern) I was the terror of all that I came across. built-in beam feels a bit superfluous - I turned it of, most of the time.

Mimir - I wasn't really feeling it. part of the problem is the built-in gun; there's a epochal delay between the mouseclick and firing, and its performance didn't seem to match up with the advertised 4000 damage

CEPCs - my god, balanced mod weapons! the charges balance out its relative efficiency. I never found much a use for the scatter version, but that could just be my playstyle.

wavebeam - this one, on the other hand, seems somewhat underpowered. even with three of them on the battlecruiser, it failed to make much of an impression.

All in all, I had fun, so thanks for all your hard work :D

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 11, 2013, 02:48:03 PM »

@Momerathe: Some comments on your comments:

Shamash: Personally, I don't even bother with weapons other than the one built-in; on the other hand, I've also never let the AI fly one.  Still, it's a very potent little frigate - I'd put it in the same tier as the Tempest.

Inanna: When I flew one of these, I just rotated my keybindings - so 'w' was 'strafe left', etc., and then I just thought of the side with the guns as the "front".  Works pretty well like that.

Elysium: I haven't played much with this, but at least last I checked it was decent with heavy blasters even if you ignore the built-in weapon.

Tartarus: I found myself using siege mode only when I needed 360 shields, and leaving it off the rest of the time.  Needlers and hellbore works pretty well for me, as did heavy maulers and a gauss cannon, or lone plasma cannon.  Overall, it's pretty similar to an Apogee, but with a bit more offence, a bit less defence.

Scylla: Yeah, the Scylla is quite strong, and the built-in beam not so much - but it's good for reaching out and forcing your opponent to keep their shields up while you back off to drop flux.  2x plasma works well, but it's not the only good configuration; other ones worth trying include: 2x wavebeam 2x heavy blaster, or 2x autopulse 2x heavy blaster.
Personally, I might dial back the strength of her drones' PD; as-is you almost don't need to install point defense guns on her.

Speaking of the wavebeam: yeah, it's not a very powerful weapon in terms of damage output.  But it's the longest range energy weapon that deals hard flux, which makes it worth using in some builds.  (That's a general truth for shadowyard weaponry: it's a bit longer range than vanilla energy weapons, but doesn't have quite as much oomph.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 11, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »

Aheh, thanks for the comments Momerathe.  I'm glad most of the ships seem to be working well for you.

On some of the particulars you mentioned:

Sargasso - As in, any PD?  Well, it could be advisable; the Sargasso is intended to keep well out of combat, she's not nearly so capable of defending herself as her big sister the Charybdis, but some rear coverage and/or expanding the coverage of her forward medium mount might not be a bad idea.

Elysium - At the moment the Elysiums main gun is not working correctly.  What's supposed to happen is the big shot breaks into smaller shots, these wander around for a while (unless they hit a shield) then they explode and apply AoE damage.  Right now they're not just hitting shields, and the AoE is applying unpredictably.  The three outcomes noted seem to be not at all, much less than should be applied, or seems to be applying the correct amount of damage; the first two seem quite predominant.

Mimir - An effect of how the weapon applies damage; the Nidhoggr Cannon uses a script that allows it to travel through an unshielded ship.  At regular intervals while penetrating through a vessel, it will tick and apply damage to the section of the ship the shot is currently occupying; in order to keep this from getting completely absurd (if the Nidhoggr were applying 4000 damage a tick a Mimir would kill pretty much anything unlucky enough to get caught with their shields down) the total damage the shot can do is divided by the maximum number of ticks that can possibly occur across the diameter of the targeted vessels collision radius.  Because ships are significantly smaller than their collision radius, there's no way for the Nidhoggr to do full damage.

As such in actual practice the Nidhoggrs actual damage is probably somewhere between ~2,000 and ~3,500 for an ideal shot, one which has been fired through the target ship along its longest axis, albeit spread out along the path taken by the shot rather than concentrated in one location.

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 11, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »

Hehe, when I earlier played against Relics faction, Nidhoggr Lance dealt very nice damage to capitals, because their size was about half of the screen. But anyway this weapon has very nice feel to it, despite being mediocre in terms of stats. Somehow using Lance just feels satisfying, it challenges to land sniping shot which can decide outcome of the battle without being overpowered. Its awesome when you are able to hit at max range enemies engine when he almost retreated.

I didn't check with last version, but earlier when projectile from Elysium special weapon hit and small projectiles appeared, it was possible to destroy them with PD weapons. They were like missiles. Also I already envision how this large aoe can be abused (though its hardly abuse) against ships with partial shield coverage. Even if they block frontal hit, aoe will hit part of the ship which is not covered by shield.

Eternity57

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 12, 2013, 11:56:23 PM »

by the way download link in main first page is broken ! even the one in your last post on this page is quiet good ;-)
Always look at the bright side of life

Jazzrish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:13 PM »

coming again with my obsessive-compulsion 8)

i think u can minimize the file ..\\shadow_ships\data\config\settings.json.
not a coder but find a good example from Zorg mod:
{
   "graphics":{
      "misc":{
         "rings2":"graphics/zorg/planets/ring_zorg.png",
         "rings3":"graphics/zorg/planets/ring_zorgmodule.png",
         "rings4":"graphics/zorg/planets/ring_zorgships.png"
      },
      "illustrations":{
         "zorg_interior":"graphics/zorg/illustrations/zorg_interior.png"
      }
   }
}

it just contains a few lines, simple and doesn't change irrelevant game settings such as "suppliesPerMarinePerDay" and "maxDisengageSize" and so on. consider it dude.
sorry for my english..
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 107