Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115584 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (0.54.1a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.3.2c
« Reply #270 on: June 30, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »

Welp... Time to stop hiding in the darkness of this forums...
This mod is great, amazing artwork, and the weapons are somewhat good...
But the ships in this mod are my worst enemy, for I am a person who only uses Symmetrical ships...

Off topic from the above text, I really did mean the second line, I am amazed people can be so good at pixelated art for games such as this one, VERY detailed.

and then there's people like me who would just LOVE to make theire own mod but cant draw for **** despite reading dozens of well made guides :P

Legendsmith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Cry Overpowered! and let loose the dogs of nerf.
« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »

The large ship with the phase skimmer, the Mimir. It is a bit too good at the moment, due to it's excellent phase skimmer.

I'd make the skimmer cost a lot more flux; I had it skimming away when it was over 90%. It's a big ship, it should cost a lot to give it such excellent mobility. Additionally, I'd make the recharge time much longer.

At the moment it's simply got too much mobility for its size. When that's combined with its excellent shield, it becomes hard to kill not because it's tough as nails, but because it runs away any time anything gets behind it, or it nears overload. It's quite frustrating. At least you can wear down a hound's armour and bait it into gun range.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 15, 2013, 05:37:04 AM »

But that's the whole idea, it's meant to be mobile...

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 15, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »

But that's the whole idea, it's meant to be mobile...

i think he means that the ship's mobility/resilience ratio is too high. It's too mobile for such a hard nut to crack

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 15, 2013, 09:26:34 AM »

I've found Mimirs to be rather fragile, in my experience anyway. Slippery, yes, but unable to take much punishment if they get themselves stuck.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »

I've found Mimirs to be rather fragile, in my experience anyway. Slippery, yes, but unable to take much punishment if they get themselves stuck.

oh.
i guess its a case of player bias one way or another (either he wrongfully finds it too hard to kill or you find it too easy)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2013, 09:24:33 AM »

Well, things have been rather hectic lately so I have had no progress since my last dev iteration, but I'll see what I can do about the Mimir.  What phyrex describes (highly mobile, but very vulnerable if it should get itself into a bad situation) is the ideal I was going for, and while I'd thought I was there maybe it needs some more consideration.

Edit:  Have some logistics ship sketches;

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:16:02 PM by MShadowy »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 08, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »

Alrighty, I'm going to be out of town for a while so I figured I should post my current Dev build before I go.  You can download it, as usual, from

Included is the Lambent class Tanker and some more descriptions, though some are very preliminary.  I'm considering playing with the squadron size for SHI's fighter wings.

Other changes - a slightly adjusted phase jump for the Mimir, with a slightly longer recharge rate and higher energy cost.  I also adjusted the armor and health of the thing.

Additionally, I believe I adjust the FP cost of the Enlil down by one by I can't recall for sure.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 12, 2013, 01:36:55 AM »

MShadowy, your download of the DEV version appears to be missing a mod_info.json file :)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 13, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »

Doh!  I guess I was in too much of a hurry getting ready for this trip and accidentally stripped the json out while pulling out my todo list and such.

Oops.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »

Well, I'm home and utterly exhausted.  I'll fix my screwup with the mod_info.json tomorrow, I simply do not have the energy tonight.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »

... okay er, the fix is in place... it just took me longer to get around to it than I really should have.  Download =here= as usual.

E:  Apparently SHI has it's first showstopper conflict with another mod, namely Exigiency Incorporated.  The bug arises due to the way the Pandora Array on the Elysium and the Repulsor used by Exigiency ships interacts, or rather, fails to interact.  Specifically the Repulsor field has a chance of deflecting shots coming its way, if those shots are bullets or missiles, done through scripting which, I presume, takes the projectiles current facing and arbitrarily changes it to some outward bound facing (as well as effecting velocity).

But while the 'sparks' generated by the Pandora are missiles, their maneuvering is dictated entirely by scripting, as such when the scripts for the repulsor and the sparks are active at the same time Java has a logic panic and craps itself.  Working with Meso to come up with a solution.  Double Edit:  On second thought, it's more like Meso working to come up with a solution. and me cheering him on (if even that); hooray for being useless!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:37:14 PM by MShadowy »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2013, 01:13:30 AM »

The script conflict between your Pandora Array weapon and Exigency's Repulsor ship system has been fixed.

What could possibly go wrong?

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 24, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »

Alrighty, next dev version is ready.  This one adds the Tartarus to the lineup, though not quite in working order.  Right now she uses the High Energy Focus system, which seemed vaguely in line with what I was intending; a system Wyvern suggested which we've decided to call 'Siege Mode,' where the ship will slow waaaaay down, recieve a buff to her turning speed, and a sizable range bonus.

Additionally there have been significant changes to the Scatter CEPC, and the weapon is now a lot more shotgun like.  The display is a bit buggy (read, completely inaccurate) in regards to her though, giving a ridiculously high Flux/second and not accounting for the DPS dropoff as her charges get depleted.  Damage, number of shots fired at once range accuracy, etc. have all been changed.

Give me a heads up on how well it is or is not balanced, since I only just did this and am unsure how reasonable the weapon currently is.

Edit:  Oh, also the Pandora has recieved some significant changes to damage and number of sparks spawned (lowered) spark speed (increased) and explosion radius (decreased) which should make the weapon a bit less bursty.  I also finished the descriptions for everything added to this point.

Double Edit:  Okay, screwed up a bit on one of the proj files and left a last minute typo in there that escaped my notice, leading to a null error.  If you've already downloaded the mod you might want to do it again.  The download link remains the same.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:41:32 AM by MShadowy »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 24, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »

Starting to play around with the Tartarus, and one thing has become very clear: its ship system will need to benefit primarily energy weapons.  I don't have one in the campaign, yet, but at least in the mission, there's a strong temptation to build Tartarus variants that use the universal hardpoints for ballistic or missile weapons - even with its current High Energy Focus, you're generally better off using more flux-efficient guns.

The other thing I've noticed so far is that the Light CEPC is completely ineffective as a point defense gun - I think it's too accurate, maybe?

Have not tested the Scatter CEPC yet - haven't had a variant it was suited for.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 107