Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Holy art batman!  (Read 52011 times)

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
Re: concept art
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »

Why can't I live in space I wanna pilot a lasher more than my will to live. Can you covert my mind into game code please. I may like starfarer I mean star sector. :'(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:56:11 PM by robokill »

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 08:17:10 PM »

K-64
Yeah, I see more bionics happening. These are dangerous times and certainly not everyone has the wealth or tech to properly re-grow all the bits they lost.

The Soldier
Haha - as the artist, I'm allowed to be like "Okay, here's what I'd look like as a ruggedly handsome space captain."

I do enjoy Starf.. Starsector the most. Two reasons:

1. I love drawing spaceships. Like, I find it ridiculously fun. At Gaslamp I'm the Art Director and/or "Chief Creative Officer" and manage a team of artists. They're great guys, but management is stressful as I have to keep all these other people organized and on-track and critique their work and make their schedules and so on. At the end of the day what I really love to do is draw stuff, not manage people.

2. Control. I basically draw things for Starsector, Alex says "cool, I'll put it in" and we're done.
I think we get along very well in terms of aesthetics; I remember the first ships I drew -- I sent them over for feedback and Alex was like "perfect!" so I'm like... Okay, right on! I'll just keep doing this! Over at Gaslamp, on the one hand I'm art directing through a team of three people doing the primary work on a 3d game (while I -- not a 3d artist -- do back-up texturing, UI, and promo art) rather than doing it all myself directly, and on the other hand I need to compromise my vision with what the two other owning partners want to do. So even though I'm a 1/3rd partner in Gaslamp Games, I have way more creative control in what I draw for Alex.
Also spaceships.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 11:27:32 PM »

I basically draw things for Starsector, Alex says "cool, I'll put it in" and we're done.

How often do you submit work to him? Do you get an email from him saying that he wants half a dozen fighter designs by the next week or something silly like that, or do you just send him concept art every now and then and see what he has to say about it?

Speaking of which.... any new top secret ships being developed that you can tease with?  ;)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 05:04:27 AM »

@David:
Do you have plans to utilize the new decorative weapons in new ships or even incorporate them in old designs? I imagine it might be quite hard to do more than blinking lights without upsetting the look of a ship that was not made for moving parts.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:44:44 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Re: Holy art batman!
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 07:01:16 AM »

I changed the name as i like this one more 8)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »

Do you have plans to utilize the new decorative weapons in new ships or even incorporate them in old designs? I imagine it might be quite hard to do more than blinking lights without upsetting the look of a ship that was not made for moving parts.
Hear hear.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »

Aye to that as well. :)

And I read on an early blog post, wasn't the Wolf one of your first ships that you created?  It's my favorite design. :) Also has a place in my heart as the first frigate I usually start off with.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 06:23:46 PM »

@David:

It'd be cool to do though of course UI & new campaign stuff shall come first.

And I read on an early blog post, wasn't the Wolf one of your first ships that you created?  It's my favorite design. :) Also has a place in my heart as the first frigate I usually start off with.

Yup, one of the first. I had a notion for what I wanted it to be and made exactly that, though it did go through a couple revisions, first to add weapon attachment points (because we originally didn't have them, if you can believe that!) then to adjust the number of turrets.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »

Yup, I thought so.  I can still see the weaponless one in the ships folder. ;) Looks really nice if you ask me!
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 08:15:05 AM »

He put the turret on the worng side ::)
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:25:37 AM by sdmike1 »

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »

Bloody ...

... See, it's a special edition Hound chassis with a rare manufacturing defect. Alternatively, the video feed from Huan-Gogol Industrial Mk.IV v4 Maintenance-Bot reg#002389 was mysteriously mirrored upon transmission to central control.

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »

That was fast :D
Bloody ...

... See, it's a special edition Hound chassis with a rare manufacturing defect. Alternatively, the video feed from Huan-Gogol Industrial Mk.IV v4 Maintenance-Bot reg#002389 was mysteriously mirrored upon transmission to central control.
It could also be blamed the shop interface's screen reflecting the what was around it thus mirroring the image.

Just makeing sure, but you didn't do that to trol us righ? :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 08:43:55 AM »

My money is on "a few special modifications" made to that Hound.

... or maybe, the game is where everything is mirrored.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »

Or maybe the picture is taken in... a mirror universe!

Yeah... I'll show myself out the door

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »

Right way round now, had to reboot the imaging camera though, thought  it was in a parallel universe where everthing was backwards...or just not the right way round  ::)

EDIT: DAMN YOU K-64 I was writing this then you ninjaed me...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4