Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship Collision Issues  (Read 6083 times)

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
Ship Collision Issues
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »

Spoiler

[close]

This is the problem I'm having.  The two ships want to go right, but because they're afraid to hit one another they just keep moving forward endlessly.  Right not the damage from bumping into another ship is minimal so they shouldn't be as afraid to bump into each other while trying to get into formation.  This also makes formations harder with larger ships as they start trying to dodge each other rather than fighting.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:39:55 PM by JamesRaynor »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Collision Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »

Thanks for the report, I'll take a look. This isn't a particularly easy one to fix - even if damage from collisions is low, it still looks bad if the AI intentionally collides with something else, so it's still something you want to avoid.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »

Thanks for the report, I'll take a look. This isn't a particularly easy one to fix - even if damage from collisions is low, it still looks bad if the AI intentionally collides with something else, so it's still something you want to avoid.

If it has shields and the capacity to deflect away debris why not?  That's always what I do.  Shields have impact afterall so smashing into an asteroid sends it flying away, same with broken hulks.  Collision needs to be looked into because they seem deathly afraid of bumping into a friendly ship versus taking a helbore shell to the face.  Only issue I potentially see with less fear of collision is my paragon activating a shield while a friendly frigate is inside of it.  What I believe needs to happen is that ships need to not bunch up when given the same target, to prevent the collission problem.  Because it just leads to one ship fighting and the other ships trying to get around it and failing.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »

Your probably better off giving the ships the ability to plot around other ships of equal size when they are on their way to a destination.

Right now it seems that this simply isn't done at all.

It's only ever a problem with ships of equal size, when you have ships of a different size the smaller ships just gets out of the way and are usually fast enough to do so.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »

Your probably better off giving the ships the ability to plot around other ships of equal size when they are on their way to a destination.

Right now it seems that this simply isn't done at all.

You'd be surprised :) This is a tricky one to get right. Ships will generally do it, but issues come up when the ship to be gone around is moving in the direction it's trying to go around it in. Naturally, that's when it's most noticeable. Still, definitely something I need to look at.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »

So what will be needed is for ships to recognize the path of other ships and plot around the instance of the other ship being in the position that intersects with its own at the time itself will arrive at the crossing of the paths?

Which will probably be complicated by the fact that the speed of the ships will change due to nature of combat, which can still lead to some discrepancies in efficiency.

But how to decide which ship will gain priority? The one with an active command (player given). How to decide which of the ships with an active command will gain priority? The largest one. What if they are equal size? The one closest to its objective. What if they are an equal distance? Random Roll?

How difficult will this be to devise?

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »

So what will be needed is for ships to recognize the path of other ships and plot around the instance of the other ship being in the position that intersects with its own at the time itself will arrive at the crossing of the paths?

Which will probably be complicated by the fact that the speed of the ships will change due to nature of combat, which can still lead to some discrepancies in efficiency.

But how to decide which ship will gain priority? The one with an active command (player given). How to decide which of the ships with an active command will gain priority? The largest one. What if they are equal size? The one closest to its objective. What if they are an equal distance? Random Roll?

How difficult will this be to devise?

I'd say Commander, then the faster ship, and if two equal ships whichever is closer to the destination gets right of way and the other backs off and comes from another angle (if it's fighting something).  Seriously surrounding enemies is incredibly effective, but the collision problems makes this very hard to pull off as they love clustering together until they can barely move.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 07:34:32 PM »

I'd say Commander, then the faster ship, and if two equal ships whichever is closer to the destination gets right of way and the other backs off and comes from another angle (if it's fighting something).  Seriously surrounding enemies is incredibly effective, but the collision problems makes this very hard to pull off as they love clustering together until they can barely move.

I do think its also more of a problem because we tend to deploy capital ships like they are frigates, I don't think we are supposed to have 4 Paragons and a pair of Odysseys in our fleet. Capital ships don't really have the movement to circle other ships. (Except for an Odyssey but even then you're not supposed to do this with 3 or 4 of them.)

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »

I do think its also more of a problem because we tend to deploy capital ships like they are frigates, I don't think we are supposed to have 4 Paragons and a pair of Odysseys in our fleet. Capital ships don't really have the movement to circle other ships. (Except for an Odyssey but even then you're not supposed to do this with 3 or 4 of them.)

I once managed to get my paragon in a crescent shape around enemies when I all spread them around, but the second I give 'Engage' they become the twenty paragon pileup.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »

I once managed to get my paragon in a crescent shape around enemies when I all spread them around, but the second I give 'Engage' they become the twenty paragon pileup.
Well, they are the same ship, they probably all want to get into the same position. Considering the size and slow speed of the things this does not bode well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »

This is with battleSize modded significantly up, correct?

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »

This is with battleSize modded significantly up, correct?

Yes, wanted to test larger scale battles, but even smaller scale battles have this problem as noted in the pictures on the OP as 36 FP is easy to get.  But even two paragons (50 FP) tend to line up behind the leader.

Well, they are the same ship, they probably all want to get into the same position. Considering the size and slow speed of the things this does not bode well.

Well they could strafe, but they don't.  That's what I do at the least.