Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'll show you mine if you show me yours... ship setups that is  (Read 15638 times)

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Ok so I imagine most of us here have been playing a lot of Starfarer. I know I have. There are some ships I can put to good use and some ships I can't do crap with. I know some people can use each ship effectively so I'm looking for ship setups that work. I'll also give and explain ship setups that I have been using effectively.

First some general guidelines for the kind of setups I'm looking for...

• I tend to play most of my ships solo, because the AI often gets needlessly killed and then I just end up loading and trying to fight too many times over. I also generally hate battles with command points and try to stick with the "small engagements that don't leave much room for a grand strategy". When I do use AI ships, they tend to be fighters (if I have a flight deck) or Tempests, as those tend to die much less often.
  • My flagships always have an elite crew since I generally have no trouble acquiring those.
  • I always play with 100% damage to player, I don't play on handicap mode.
  • I try to take little or no crew losses in the vast majority of my fights, otherwise I couldn't keep my elite crew members for long. This means taking significant hull damage on a regular basis is out of the question.
  • While I'm willing to use them, I have a tendency to leave missile slots empty because I'm usually outnumbered and need weapons that will last me a whole battle.

The ship that puzzles me the most is the Conquest. Its purpose seems to be that of a fragile damage dealer with enough mobility to get to where it's needed and get out, but I find that its firepower is inferior to the Onslaught and Paragon and it has so little Ordinance Points available that I am forced to set it up lop-sided, where one side only has a few point defenses and I only use the other side in combat. Its shield is small and weak and I don't seem to have enough OP to afford improving the shields. The armor is unimpressive. To make the best of its mobility, I tried fitting auxiliary thrusters and augmented engines, which cost even more OP and gimped its flux dissipation.

I appreciate any good setups, mostly for a ship for which I'm not posting one of my own setups here, but the Conquest is really the one I'd like to make work. The Eagle may be another one but I haven't given it nearly as many attemps and none recently. I also have a half decent Odyssey setup but it's really not that impressive so suggestions are welcome. I'm also disappointed by the Medusa setups I've made so far, despite the praise the ship gets on this forum. Share your setups!

Now on to the ships I know how to use...

Tempest

This one is a no brainer. One of the best and most fun ships in the game in my opinion.

Setup :
9 Flux vents

Resistant Flux Conduits. Every Tempest should have this, since it costs 2 points and gives you more than 20 flux venting. As a side bonus, taking a single Salamander hit directly on your engines will no longer shut them down. The only reason to not have this is if you're using 0 or 1 flux vents total which would be ridiculous anyway for a hightech ship.

Augmented Engines. Take your biggest strength and improve it some more. This makes it very easy to have full control over the battle.

Extended Shields. The Tempest is clearly not an armor tank. When you do take a hit, you want it to be on your shield and the default 90 degrees is a rather small arc. You could always dump this for a 10th flux vent and 3 OP to spend wherever you want. Or use the 4 OP on a missile weapon (I leave it empty).

Heavy Blaster on the RIGHT mount. This is your main weapon and I suggest you control it manually. Much easier to use if you hold shift so your ship automatically points to your cursor. Not very flux efficient but the high damage bursts are great and the flux damage is permanent. You could replace this with a Pulse Laser if you prefer its better flux efficiency and more forgiving aim. I put this on the right mount because the right mount has less frontal arc, which I can deal with easily while I leave the left mount (more forgiving frontal arc) to the AI.

Graviton Beam on the LEFT mount. You leave this weapon to the AI, as it can use beams very well. Good versus unshielded fighters and to force someone to keep their shield up. The only downside is that the flux damage is not permanent so if you need to slowly shoot down someone's shield, you should turn this off and use all your flux to fire your Heavy Blaster as much as possible. Lately I've been considering removing this weapon completely, but adding a second Heavy Blaster is pointless since the Tempest's flux dissipation cannot fully handle a single Blaster.

How to use this setup : Avoid taking any damage other than on your shields. Slowly dismantle the enemies starting with the fastest/most threatening. Take advantage of the Blaster's permanent flux damage if an enemy has strong shields. With a lot of patience, good flying skills and a bit of luck, you can take down ridiculously large Hegemony fleets or lone T-T ships without taking any damage. If you're patient, you can use this to capture much bigger ships and go straight from being a lone frigate pilot to a wealthy fleet commander.

Hyperion

If the Paragon is Doctor Evil, this is Mini-me. Not as exciting to use as the Tempest, but it can be entertaining to sit in front of an enemy destroyer or cruiser and shrug off his pathetic attemps to break your tank. You may also die horribly depending on his weaponry...

Setup :
10 flux vents, 1 capacitor. The only reason I use 1 capacitor is because I have nothing else to spend a single spare OP on.

Stabilized Shields. Your shields will be up most of the time and the Hyperion's shields cost a lot of flux to run, so this is a good return for your ordinance points.

Resistant Flux Conduits. Any Hyperion without this is a bad Hyperion. The explanation for this is in the Tempest setup.

Extended Shields. Makes your shields cover 360 degrees, why not?

Flux Distributor. Not OP-efficient at all, but your flux dissipation is the huge bottleneck on this setup and we already have max vents and the RFC hull mod.

Hardened Shields. They're already pretty damn hard, this makes your shields ridiculous (even more so combined with an Elite crew which is super easy to get in a 5-man frigate).

4x IR Pulse Lasers and empty missile slots. The reasoning is that IR Pulse Lasers are the most flux efficient permanent flux damage you can get and your flux dissipation can't handle firing these constantly so upgrading to 2x Pulse & 2x IR Pulse is a waste of ordinance points. No missiles because in a very small fight, you've already won before it starts anyway. In a large fight, your missiles will run out before they do you any good.

How to use this setup : Similar to the Tempest except that your speed isn't nearly good enough to outrun Pilum missiles or most fighter squadrons. On the other hand, you have a BEAST of a tank for a frigate. All of your damage is permanent so you can slowly grind down almost any ship. You'll often be able to sit in front of a larger enemy and trade blows until they go down, long before your shields do.

Aurora

The only cruiser I really enjoy, it used to be the Paragon's little brother until the 0.52 patch nerf to its shield efficiency. It's still good but significantly less viable as a solo ship. If you're playing 0.52 or higher, I recommend switching to a Paragon as soon as you can afford it.

Setup :
30 flux vents, 5 capacitors. Again, the capacitors are there because it's better than not spending the OP at all.

Stabilized Shields. Your shields will be up most of the time and the Aurora's shields cost a lot of flux to run, so this is a good return for your ordinance points.

Resistant Flux Conduits. Any Aurora without this is a bad Aurora. The explanation for this is in the Tempest setup.

Integrated Targetting Unit. On a cruiser or capital ship, this mod becomes very powerful. Allows you to pick off your slower enemies from outside their range.

Hardened Shields. This used to be better when the Aurora had proper shields, but is still pretty much mandatory on this setup. Shield efficiency is even better for your survivability than flux dissipation because it affects permanent flux damage aswell.

Advanced Turret Gyros. This is really optional and you could always spend these ordinance points on capacitors, or remove the capacitors aswell and fit some missiles. Another option would be accelerated shields.

Heavy Blasters in the medium mounts, PD lasers in the small mounts, no missiles. The biggest threat to the Aurora is a swarm of faster ships, and faster ships tend to die quickly to sustained fire from 1 or 2 Blasters. PD lasers cost 1 less OP than their long range variant and do 50% more damage. Their range isn't that bad with the Targetting Unit hull mod. Missile slots are empty because fitting something useful in them would cost more OP than what we have left, but if I were to use them it would probably be rockets or swarmers. The large slot would work best with MIRVs but that's even more OP that we can't afford.

How to use this setup : Backpedal while taking care of the faster enemies as quickly as possible. Once that's done, it becomes much safer to vent your flux and the battle becomes much more manageable. Dominators, Onslaughts and Paragons can be very problematic depending on their weaponry so it may be best to avoid them unless you're bringing support along with you. An elite crew is pretty much mandatory. As with the Tempest, you could always switch the Heavy Blasters for Pulse Lasers for better flux efficiency.

Onslaught

If you don't like showering your enemies with high explosives while taking hits like a man, go see a doctor. The Onslaught has the best armor in the game and in a face to face fight, it can usually take on anything easily except a Paragon, which it can still destroy with some skill and the right setup.

Setup :
50 flux vents, because destroying large enemy fleets or enemy capital ships can take a while and you're screwed if you can't fire your weapons.

Heavy Armor. As usual, make the most of your strengths.

Armored Weapon Mounts. Even with this, your guns will go offline regularly. Extremely useful on an armor tank like the Onslaught, it also gives a very nice 10% bonus to armor.

Expanded Magazines. Necessary for longer fights and at 10 OP, it's hard to pass this up.

Integrated Targetting Unit. At +50% range to all guns, this is a no brainer. I can't think of any capital ship setup that shouldn't use this.

With the amount of weapons this thing has, I'm just going to post a screenshot.

Spoiler
[close]

The weapons in the above screenshot are : Heavy maulers, railguns, flak cannons and heavy needlers. I'm considering replacing the heavy needlers but I'm still undecided.

The flak cannons are almost mandatory on a lowtech ship with poor shield converage. They're by far the best point defense in the game. I favor them over dual flaks because their ammo lasts longer, they have more range (crucial versus MIRVs) and they cost less OP. The railguns are used because their only downside is a 7 OP cost. They have perfect accuracy, great flux efficiency and good range for a small slot. The 2 heavy needlers complement the railguns for kinetic damage and their imperfect accuracy turns out to be a plus against fast fighters and frigates, since the spray of bullets will guarantee at least some hits. The heavy maulers give us our much needed explosive damage and can fire at 1500 range with good flux efficiency. Large weapons are not used because of lack of ordinance points. The 2 railguns in the rear medium slots are used because they're cheap and use little flux. Their purpose is simply to make life harder for fast ships trying to shoot our weak spot. Missile slots are empty (surprise!).

How to use this setup : This one is very straightforward. You can charge in if you want, depending on what you're facing. Your armor is ridiculous (2325 rating) and so is your firepower. Use your shields sparingly as they are far from efficient and your flux is better spent killing everything in sight. If you expect to be surrounded and don't mind abusing game mechanics, you can back yourself up against the edge of the map to protect your weak rear. It can be a good idea to manage your flux against tougher targets (enemy capitals mostly) by periodically turning off your kinetic weapons when shooting their armor and doing the opposite for their shields.

Paragon

Arguably the strongest ship in the game, with the only competition being the Onslaught. It has the best shield efficiency, the best flux capacity and the best flux dissipation, on top of great firepower.

Setup :
50 flux vents, 10 capacitors. The capacitors are simply spare ordinance points.

Accelerated shields. The only optional hull mod, could be swapped for more capacitors or some missile racks.

Stabilized Shields. Your shields will be up most of the time and the Paragon's shields cost a lot of flux to run, so this is a good return for your ordinance points.

Resistant Flux Conduits. Any Paragon without this is a bad Paragon. The explanation for this is in the Tempest setup.

Integrated Targetting Unit. At +50% range to all guns, this is a no brainer. I can't think of any capital ship setup that shouldn't use this.

Hardened shields. Because you want to have the toughest shields possible. An easy choice.

Autopulse Lasers in all 4 large slots. The most flux efficient energy weapons you can get, they have recently been buffed and have good initial burst damage. Flak cannons in the 2 universal slots. Why does this beast of a ship deserves the privilege of stealing the best point defense in the game from lowtech ships? I don't know, but you bet I'll do it. They get almost 360 degree coverage. They could be replaced with dual flak if you prefer but since Expanded Magazines aren't very efficient on a Paragon, I prefer the longevity of single flak. Pulse lasers in the medium energy slots and IR pulse lasers in the small energy slots. The reason for this is simple, we want to deal permanent flux damage to enemy shields and these weapons do it with the most flux efficiency. If you've read all the previous setups you'll probably be shocked off of your chair when you read this but... I leave the missile slots empty.  :o!

How to use this setup : Activate shields, shoot stuff, it dies. I really can't explain this in any more detail. You could use tachyon lances but they're mostly useful when you have a large fleet, in which case you might aswell put them on an AI piloted ship.

That's it for now. I obviously use many other ships but I feel like those are the ones where I'm confident that my setups are very good and worth sharing. I also have a silly "Giant Piranha" Lasher setup posted in a different thread that I started, feel free to look that up aswell.

Alright, now I demand to see your amazing setups for those other ships I can't seem to put to good use!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:04:18 PM by BonhommeCarnaval »
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: I'll show you mine if you show me yours... ship setups that is
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:47:42 PM »

A lot of ships in this game need fleet support, especially the low techs. Conquests do too. A conquest and an onslaught are a great team for taking down lots of big ships... I think a solo conquest is almost always going to be lame.

Medusas are good as basically bigger hyperions - you can put the same things on really, just add two more small weapons - it is good because those slots don't have to be missiles like with the hyperion. Don't use the rear facing slots. You have enough maneuverability not to need them. They cost less than a hyperion and they have more firepower, so they are pretty good considering. Not godships, but good.

Eagles are... well... not so great. I guess if you put maulers in the front slots and pulse lasers in the medium energy you have a decent ship, you need augmented engines though or you would probably get swarmed. Oh, and tactical lasers are good to prevent that as well. That may be hard on your op points, I don't have an eagle so I don't know.

Also, you will find that not putting so many flux vents on really won't hurt your designs. I used to put a ton of vents on too, but stopped after I realized this: Your ship really just needs as much dissipation as your main weapon group, maybe that plus shields upkeep. Dissipation doesn't help with permanent flux damage anyway, which is usually the main reason for having to vent. It does help with beam damage but there are not a lot of AI ships with powerful beam weapons anyway. The onslaught definitely needs full vents though!

And for the aurora, torpedoes in the large slot are very useful against big ships and you will never run out of ammo. They will let you take on dominators. Again, this ship doesn't need it's rear facing weapons because it is maneuverable, that will free up some OP.

The ships you picked are really the best solo ships, there are other good ships but they are good in fleets. (dominators for example, and ventures)

But you demand solo setups so:
I find a brawler with augmented engines, vents, railguns, and chainguns is a decent solo ship, but it is not great for battles with three or more enemy ships. Still, its good fun. Brawlers are my favorite starting ship. Don't risk elite crew in this. It really doesn't need it anyway.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »

A lot of ships in this game need fleet support, especially the low techs. Conquests do too. A conquest and an onslaught are a great team for taking down lots of big ships... I think a solo conquest is almost always going to be lame.

Medusas are good as basically bigger hyperions - you can put the same things on really, just add two more small weapons - it is good because those slots don't have to be missiles like with the hyperion. Don't use the rear facing slots. You have enough maneuverability not to need them. They cost less than a hyperion and they have more firepower, so they are pretty good considering. Not godships, but good.

Eagles are... well... not so great. I guess if you put maulers in the front slots and pulse lasers in the medium energy you have a decent ship, you need augmented engines though or you would probably get swarmed. Oh, and tactical lasers are good to prevent that as well. That may be hard on your op points, I don't have an eagle so I don't know.

Also, you will find that not putting so many flux vents on really won't hurt your designs. I used to put a ton of vents on too, but stopped after I realized this: Your ship really just needs as much dissipation as your main weapon group, maybe that plus shields upkeep. Dissipation doesn't help with permanent flux damage anyway, which is usually the main reason for having to vent. It does help with beam damage but there are not a lot of AI ships with powerful beam weapons anyway. The onslaught definitely needs full vents though!

And for the aurora, torpedoes in the large slot are very useful against big ships and you will never run out of ammo. They will let you take on dominators. Again, this ship doesn't need it's rear facing weapons because it is maneuverable, that will free up some OP.

The ships you picked are really the best solo ships, there are other good ships but they are good in fleets. (dominators for example, and ventures)

But you demand solo setups so:
I find a brawler with augmented engines, vents, railguns, and chainguns is a decent solo ship, but it is not great for battles with three or more enemy ships. Still, its good fun. Brawlers are my favorite starting ship. Don't risk elite crew in this. It really doesn't need it anyway.

To bad the Brawler isnt a starting ship anymore ;(

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »

The setups don't have to be for solo play, I sometimes bring SOME support. The reason I play mainly solo is because I don't see how one can make progress while having the AI suicide their ships left and right. As soon as you lose 1 or 2 frigates, you not only have a net loss but you have to go through the inconvenience of finding and fitting the replacements.

Another reason is how overpowered and silly capture points are (nav buoys and sensor arrays), so I try to stick to "small engagements" that don't have any.
Aww, you so sweet!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »

Your ship designs are incredibly different from mine! I think thats great, because it means the game can be played so many ways. I think that not using missiles on the Aurora is good for a solo ship, but a very bad idea as part of a fleet. Its a one time deal but used correctly those missiles can pop a capital ship no problem.

The only design I'm really really confused by is your Onslaught, especially as a solo build. I can understand not using large ballistic weapons if you aren't fighting anything bigger than a destroyer... but if you are then I highly recommend them. Hellbores shred armor and a single Storm needler will solve all shield problems. I would also drop the heavy armor in favor of 4 LRM launchers - 4 at once will seriously inconvenience enemy ships and completely destroy anything that overloads.

The Eagle is an amazing ship as part of a fleet - give it a little support and 3 Gravitons, 2 Heavy Maulers, and 1 Autocannon will take down any cruiser and have the range to team up on a Paraon or Onslaught.

Medusa's are amazing. They don't give you quite as much bang for your OP as the Hyperion or Tempest, but I find them both much more satisfying and much more powerful. They are also a hell of a lot cheaper and have a bit of storage space. Be warned though, they are much harder to fly than either a Tempest or Hyperion.

Try this as a solo variant - be warned the AI can't use the LMG's correctly so this is a player only build (make them railguns for the AI and lower the caps/vents by 4 each. The AI does a fantastic job surviving and supporting, but isn't particularly agressive).

20 Vents
14 caps
Flux resistant conduits
2 Pulse Lasers
2 Burst Pd in diagonally opposite slots - this gives 360 coverage
2 Tactical lasers in the other diagonal
2 Light machine guns

Next is less a solo build (vulnerable to swarming) but is capable of soloing any AI cruiser without trouble. With a little support these can be deadly to capital ships as well. Be warned that it is difficult to use because of the heavy blasters:

20 Vents
10 Caps
Flux resistant conduits
2 Heavy blasters
2 Burst Pd in diagonally opposite slots - this gives 360 coverage
2 Tactical lasers in the other diagonal
2 Light machine guns

If you are feeling really adventurous take out the tacs and boost the caps to 20 - you can just sit in front of a capital ship tanking while the LMG's blast away shields.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:56:30 PM by Thaago »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »

Oh, and re: AI suiciding - if you equip the AI with longer range weapons then they become much more defensive and become very good at surviving. Use escorts often! The AI likes to wander off on its own (flanking maneuvers and all that) so can get ganged up on. If I have 2 wolf frigates and am going into a hard fight I will escort one to the other, or one each to a destroyer etc. Also make SURE to give all ships at least 1 PD gun - otherwise they will run away from missiles instead of taking them on the shields. This will cause them to accumulate a tail, screw up, and take all of them at once.

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 02:08:31 PM »

"Your ship designs are incredibly different from mine! I think thats great, because it means the game can be played so many ways."

This is a big part of why I'm making this thread. I feel like if I want to make profits or at least break even and not have to spend 90% of my time replacing and refitting ships, I have to play a certain way. I'm practically certain there are a ton of other viable ways to play but I need the community's help to find them. :P

I'll try out your Medusa setups eventually but I'm more curious about how you'd fit an Onslaught (the entire setups if possible).

By the way, the Onslaught setup I've posted takes on bigger ships than destroyers and quite a few of them. I'll go play around with it right now and see what kind of victory I can pull off.

-------------------

EDIT

There you go, first battle after I said that. The battlefield had 2 sensor arrays which my my Tempests took easily (AI piloted, setup shown in the screenshot). The Paragon was fielded last and couldn't really do anything. The hits I did take mostly dented my armor and could've been avoided if I had been smart enough to raise my shield briefly, as they were all on the very front.

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:27:01 PM by BonhommeCarnaval »
Aww, you so sweet!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »

This is my current favorite onslaught, though that changes pretty often :P. 3 Storms needlers in the turrets, 2 Hellbores in the fixed slots, 3 Heavy Maulers, 6 Flak, and 4 Pilums. I leave the small weapon slots unused - I used to run railguns but storm needlers are more OP efficient, have better ammo, better range, and are more flux efficient. The 4 rear flak do an incredible job against fighters and are actually very effective in finishing off frigates that have been 'tagged' by the side guns or overloaded by Pilums.

I control the Hellbores myself because they are the most situational: fine to use when flux usage isn't a big issue, but when fighting other capitals they should be used to crack armor only! They only fire ~ 5 shots against another Onslaught, but those shots are incredibly important! After armor is down the Storm needlers do a much better job dealing with hull. I will often also turn off the Heavy Maulers against other capitals, but they make for good armor cracking backups in case the Hellbores get disabled. They get the job done against frigates and destroyers though.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:48:31 PM by Thaago »

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »

I just can't fly the Onslaught without four torpedo launchers in the back. I love them too much.

Spoiler

[close]

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »

Here's some of mine:

Spoiler
[close]

Good burst damage, but lacks sustainability and the AI tends to charge in at high hard flux levels which can be a problem until Alex fixes that.

Spoiler
[close]

Good at dealing with ships outside of their range, but the AI will 'tweak out' when fighting a ship that outranges it.

Spoiler
[close]

Good at overwhelming ships with low dissipation and generally mucking with the AI.

Spoiler
[close]

Good at punching through weak shielded ships, but poor against stronger ones.

Spoiler
[close]

It does everything well, long ranged, high burst damage, and missiles and fighters are a non-threat.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fleet setup!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 08:25:25 PM »

This may be a bit off topic, but if you have trouble with ships getting killed in fleets, here are some tips:

Fly with lots of capitals. Mainly, the onslaught and the paragon. They are hard to kill, so if they are in trouble you usually have time to save them. Don't use destroyers or cruisers once you don't need to, or most frigates - they are vulnerable because they can be destroyed very quickly if they find something they can't overpower. Use fighter wings and tempests too, especially to capture CPs.

If you have an onslaught, fly with a dominator if you can't get another onslaught or paragon. It is a good support ship and has the firepower to get the onslaught out of trouble... if, say, it is flanked by another onslaught or something.

Pirhanas are very good for big battles, but do not get in their way! They don't seem to avoid friendly fire and I have lost lots of ships by not paying attention. It doesn't matter if they get killed, just don't put elite pilots in them. I often fly with 5 wings.

Use the assault command if you think you are going to be facing real opposition. Cancel it as soon as you kill the heavies.

A venture is a good carrier, it is very tough and as long as it is not on the front lines, almost never gets killed. Odysseys are good too, but again, make sure it does not get on the front line if you are fighting something like an onslaught... The ai might get it killed.

I know you like flying solo, but why only play this game one way? If you play it two different ways that is twice the fun.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet setup!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »

This may be a bit off topic, but if you have trouble with ships getting killed in fleets, here are some tips:

Fly with lots of capitals. Mainly, the onslaught and the paragon. They are hard to kill, so if they are in trouble you usually have time to save them. Don't use destroyers or cruisers once you don't need to, or most frigates - they are vulnerable because they can be destroyed very quickly if they find something they can't overpower. Use fighter wings and tempests too, especially to capture CPs.

If you have an onslaught, fly with a dominator if you can't get another onslaught or paragon. It is a good support ship and has the firepower to get the onslaught out of trouble... if, say, it is flanked by another onslaught or something.

Pirhanas are very good for big battles, but do not get in their way! They don't seem to avoid friendly fire and I have lost lots of ships by not paying attention. It doesn't matter if they get killed, just don't put elite pilots in them. I often fly with 5 wings.

Use the assault command if you think you are going to be facing real opposition. Cancel it as soon as you kill the heavies.

A venture is a good carrier, it is very tough and as long as it is not on the front lines, almost never gets killed. Odysseys are good too, but again, make sure it does not get on the front line if you are fighting something like an onslaught... The ai might get it killed.

I know you like flying solo, but why only play this game one way? If you play it two different ways that is twice the fun.

It's not that, it's that the AI is kinda dumb at the moment due to some bugs in it's behavior.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 08:56:59 PM »

Sure, but that doesn't mean you can't compensate.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »

Here's some of mine:

Spoiler
[close]

Good burst damage, but lacks sustainability and the AI tends to charge in at high hard flux levels which can be a problem until Alex fixes that.

Spoiler
[close]

Good at dealing with ships outside of their range, but the AI will 'tweak out' when fighting a ship that outranges it.

Spoiler
[close]

Good at overwhelming ships with low dissipation and generally mucking with the AI.

Spoiler
[close]

Good at punching through weak shielded ships, but poor against stronger ones.

Spoiler
[close]

It does everything well, long ranged, high burst damage, and missiles and fighters are a non-threat.

Heavy burst pd huh? I've never found an effective use for them! :P

Jatha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »

This is my current command ship variant (subject to change at any time...) Rather than build a ship around a weapon set, I decided to try selecting my weapons based on the hull mods I had equiped. It actually works really well, being able to solo just about any number of fighters, frigates, and destroyers a hostile fleet can bring to the table. It does lack the punch to go toe-to-toe with other caps, though, which is why I almost always include 3-5 Dagger wings in my fleet builds.
Pages: [1] 2