Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What did you find very usefull in this thread.

The examples
Ship sizes
Ferrus guide
BSF guide
Infestation guide
depth guide
medonca's spriting guide
avan's colouring guide
Tip and tricks
Light and shade guide

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: A spriter's first toolbox  (Read 138828 times)

Mr Magpie

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks for all the tips and tricks, not to mention the encouragement to continue.

I took on your advise and here is my edited result, a bit of rust is all this really needed.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile

Thanks for all the tips and tricks, not to mention the encouragement to continue.

I took on your advise and here is my edited result, a bit of rust is all this really needed.

Spoiler
[close]
  ll  ll  ll
 \/ \/ \/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:16:58 PM by theSONY »
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

100% better, great work :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile

Mr Magpie, this is incredible work!

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This is what I worked on pretty much all evening; it's a drawing I scanned with tons of work put into final color and details.  I'm not used to this kind of art, so it's a very experimental piece, trying to get a good feel for this kind of thing and learn how to get it done fast.

I stopped when I felt like perfect was being the enemy of the good.  I feel like it looks great in-game when armed. 

Would like some feedback about what could have been improved so I can apply the lessons learned to the next one :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

that looks soo epic  ;D so colourfull.
you should make a faction out of those.
just one thing bothers me.. the depth, it feels kinda flat ,
although i can see parts that i think should be round but the shades dont show.
add some more shading to make the depth better and its perfect  ;D

edit: and maybe add some details too make it less symetrical  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:53:41 AM by TheHappyFace »
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile

:D do ony I see a smiling Gorilla with his arm lifted ready to smash or something ? :D
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

Been messing with the guides posted here a bit, and I feel I've gotten quite far! I am a bit puzzled on shadow layers (they mess with my transparency/easy-of-turning-stuff-transparent), but things seem to be going well enough even without that. I've started getting more into the smaller details now, and was really wondering what you guys thought of my latest work showcasing that stuff.

I'm using Paint.NET to draw outlines and basic shapes as well as color stuff in (similar to the Ferrus guide), after which I move onto GIMP to do hue/saturation adjustments and add lots of detail. Fine detail usually comes from small parts of core game ships, thrown through a bunch of perspective/aspect changes and then sharpened with a small brush. The rougher stuff is manually drawn on (stuff like colored patches and simple details) and then drawn through a series of filters. The above ship took me about 7 hours to make, though I had to redo lots of things there as I ended up learning a lot of tricks. Any ideas on how to improve my speed and/or quality? Keep in mind I suck at actually drawing stuff! :P

EDIT: Accidentally replaced picture, so uploaded the old one and edited this post to show it. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:30:35 AM by SUXpanD »

Mr Magpie

• Ensign
    • View Profile

While the attention too detail is all very good, the design is very simple and a bit boring. You should try too make your spaceships look exciting, not just several circles stuck together. Remember spaceships have to look purposeful and most of all, epic!

I find that the design process is more important than doing all the fiddly details. I know you said you weren’t great at drawing but you should try make a few quick sketches first, to home in on a good overall design.

Apart for that, the detailing is very good, if you can combine it with a neat ship design you’ll be on to a winner. :)

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Kept it a little more reasonable tonight, in terms of time investment.  I think I'm starting to get the hang of this :)

Coming soonish:
Xeno's Mod Pack

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

Kept it a little more reasonable tonight, in terms of time investment.  I think I'm starting to get the hang of this :)

Coming soonish:

overall i like the design and the drawing is quiet good.
the only thigs that bothers me is that the back looks a bit flat fragile.
While the attention too detail is all very good, the design is very simple and a bit boring. You should try too make your spaceships look exciting, not just several circles stuck together. Remember spaceships have to look purposeful and most of all, epic!

I find that the design process is more important than doing all the fiddly details. I know you said you weren’t great at drawing but you should try make a few quick sketches first, to home in on a good overall design.

Apart for that, the detailing is very good, if you can combine it with a neat ship design you’ll be on to a winner. :)

dont forget to say something about the outlines  ;)
try outline it but dont make it look like its outlined.
outlines can make stuff more clearly but willl also tend to make things flat.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:49:04 AM by TheHappyFace »

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

I agree, it is a bit boring. I had a different design sketch originally, but it came out far too spartan - I can't seem to get large ships right just yet. Instead I decided to turn what I had into a mobile defense platform of sorts, though the outcome was a bit bland indeed with the odd way it came to be. I'm happy to hear you like the details, though - that was what I learned most of when I was creating this thing, and that's what I'll apply to more interesting designs later. ;)

dont forget to say something about the outlines  ;)
try outline it but dont make it look like its outlined.
outlines can make stuff more clearly but willl also tend to make things flat.

Funny you should say that - I've actually been playing with edge brightness and general contrast/sharpness a bit lately, which tidied up the outlines a lot in my personal view. Have a look:

Old above, new below. What do you think?

PS. I'll stop thread-jacking after this post - I have my own topic for my own stuff too, now. :P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:32:49 AM by SUXpanD »

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

well i was actually pointing at the circles wo all seem to be outlined.
ow its not really thread-jacking since the thread is started for this kind of stuff  ;)

Mr Magpie

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I’m really enjoying this new found talent in spriting but the problem is I don’t now what to do with them. The ultimate aim would be to get them in a mod but I couldn’t mod even if my life depended on it.

Any ideas?

Also, I would like your approval of you latest sprite.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:29:57 AM by Mr Magpie »

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

That looks like it'd be fun to fly!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9