Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What did you find very usefull in this thread.

The examples
Ship sizes
Ferrus guide
BSF guide
Infestation guide
depth guide
medonca's spriting guide
avan's colouring guide
Tip and tricks
Light and shade guide

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: A spriter's first toolbox  (Read 138799 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

Well, there's the Spiral Arms thread; I'm giving stuff away there; that helps modders out with content and it's a good way to keep practicing :)

In terms of critique, I'd like to see a bit more attention on those center panels' lighting and a few other spots.

Aesthetically, I'm also not sure about the weapons placement, because it feels like it'll get pretty crowded, and it's a bummer having your ship completely covered up with turret sprites, like the Wolf is.  It's one of the reasons why the BUILT_IN and HIDDEN weapon slots were such nice additions to this game engine.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

I’m really enjoying this new found talent in spriting but the problem is I don’t now what to do with them. The ultimate aim would be to get them in a mod but I couldn’t mod even if my life depended on it.

Any ideas?

Also, I would like your approval of you latest sprite.

could you change the lining a bit?
make them a bit more grey and less black maybe?
and you made some lines (probaply vents) at the top.
they seem a bit off , a bit flat, maybe it would be better if they were sloping(is this the right word? ) too?
besides that i like it  :D

edit: added warstalkers guide for drawing from scratch
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:40:06 AM by TheHappyFace »
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile

I disagree with HappyFace: I like the ship as-is

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

why do i have the strange feeling that people are voting for the guide they made themselfs.
almost all guides got 1 vote :/

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile

TheHappyFace: This thread is not the place to post new sprites and ask for critiques. It's supposed to be a sticky about spriting in general, with tutorials.

If you have a new sprite that you want feedback on, please post it in the main Modding forum. Otherwise I'm going to have to lock the thread and remove replies like this one.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile

If someone actually made an Arkship, i sure as hell would like to see it  ;D

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a little help spriting with Battleships Forever: could some people share which parts packs they import in order to have decent looking segments?

I've downloaded this build: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5764
which has tons of custom segments, but there are so many and 95% are the 2-d line drawings that are completely useless for Starfarer. Or is there an easy way of filling those in with a matte color?

Thanks!

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

If someone actually made an Arkship, i sure as hell would like to see it  ;D
Dammit, why'd you have to say that? -_-', now we all have some fun things to do -_-'
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a little help spriting with Battleships Forever: could some people share which parts packs they import in order to have decent looking segments?

I've downloaded this build: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5764
which has tons of custom segments, but there are so many and 95% are the 2-d line drawings that are completely useless for Starfarer. Or is there an easy way of filling those in with a matte color?

Thanks!
I have no experiance in the BSF editor ,
but sproginators guide does tell you how it works and i thought it gave a link to a part pack.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

That is correct, yes :), I'm shocked anyone uses it!
- Albert Einstein

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Yup! The problem is that the parts pack is mostly filled with parts that have no shading - unless there is some trick then 95% of it is useless. However, any folder that ends in -sw or -swnc usually has usable parts so I'm pretty good now.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

Yup! The problem is that the parts pack is mostly filled with parts that have no shading - unless there is some trick then 95% of it is useless. However, any folder that ends in -sw or -swnc usually has usable parts so I'm pretty good now.
well as far as i understood from sprog is that he starts of building the ships out of lines with bsf and then filles it up and shades it in paint.net.
am i right sprog?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

well as far as i understood from sprog is that he starts of building the ships out of lines with bsf and then filles it up and shades it in paint.net.
am i right sprog?
I tend to do it kinda weirdly, I put some shapes around for a vague outline, then proceed to add some parts inside, get the general look, change it depending on the overall look, and then edit it more in paint.net
- Albert Einstein

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff

Just came here to ask to refresh the sprites of mine on the first page. They were modified some time ago :)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

good idea. actually almost forgot this thread... ;)

edit: done
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:00:19 AM by TheHappyFace »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9