Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bust this null, Nullbusters (Nulls busted: 3, New errors: 1!!)  (Read 10883 times)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile

Hi, since Im not very good at this and I dont want to spamm the forums with many topics asking for help, I decided to make this topic, where I will throw all the errors from logs I "manage" to run into. I will also update the main page for anyone else, that might be lucky enough to run into the same problems.  :)

--------------------------------------
Nullbusted # 2 :

Spoiler
83223 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.A.super.return.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.N.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.OO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.OO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.OO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Öô0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O.Ö?0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oOo0.Öô0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.O.Öô0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.D.Öô0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.String.I.Öô0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.new.O?0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.A.class.private$super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.A.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
[close]

Sollution:

Spoiler
Just to confirm...

What I meant was when you refit a ship, it creates a special variant for it and saves it in the folder specified in my previous post. If you'd created one with the same variant name but when it had different weapon slot ids, that might cause problems. Not sure if it was clear from my previous post - at any rate, did you try clearing out that directory?

My bad, didnt realize to delete the

Spoiler
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\saves\missions\variants"
[close]

and

Spoiler
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\saves\missions\clash"
[close]

I use that one mission to test all ships, but I do delete the variants in game, still there were many files in those folders, deleting them solved the problem.

Thanks Alex!
[close]

--------------------------------------
Nullbusted # 1 :

Spoiler
28959 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.OO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.OO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.ÓÓ?000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.String.OO0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.String.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oO0O.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$16.null.while$new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O.oO0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.S.ÓÖo000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.S.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oOo0.Ó00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oOo0.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.FleetGrid.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.D.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.String.I.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
[close]

Sollution : Ok, so after narrowing it to one ship I tried deleting variants, searched for any typos. Still the same problem (could view the codexes, but once to launch a mission -crash). I then created a new Hull ID, variant from that, adjusted the related files and... it works, deleted the old stuff, never turned back.  :)

Edit - I now believe this might have been fixed just as mythbust No. 2.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:00:18 PM by MrDavidoff »

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bust this null, Nullbusters (need help with error-solved)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »

check if one of the variants has a weapon slot missing or a wrong named weapon slot.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »

check if one of the variants has a weapon slot missing or a wrong named weapon slot.

Did that and have to say, that like the full idiot i was - i checked every ws on the ship - foudn nothing, made absolutely no sense for it to crash - so i deleted the old variant, made a new one - same error.

So.. I dumped both files.. and now it works. (I didnt have much patience to search for reasons what could possibly be wrong beside that.. it was quicker)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:17:59 AM »

Same error happened to me cause i updated a Hull that i made using a older version on the ship editor

That older version has the auto-naming on the weapons like "WS 1"
The new one changed it into "WS0001"

So the game wasn't detecting the location of those weapon slots giving out a "null" when it tried to find.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »

So the WS0000x.. is done purposly, good - was asking that in Trys topic. makes grouping weapons easier. Thing is i did rename all the slots(figured it would make the old variant recognize it) - that didnt work. And.. it should have worked, if i made a new variant. I understand what caused the problem now, but dont know, why it didnt work, when i tried to "fix" it. 

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:29:11 PM »

Yeah it's really weird about the effect the new naming had on variants mode; the variants mode is supposed to work with whatever's in the ship data file. In theory, you could name your weapon slot "Weapon Number One", "Weapon Number Two" and neither my editor nor Starfarer should have any problem with it.

It's entirely possible that assumption has not ever been correct.

Anyway; to summarize, Davidoff: is there a bug you think I should fix with the editor? Or is the workaround good enough? I'm still not clear on exactly what went wrong, but I understand it possibly has to do with using old ship with new variant, or new ship with old variant?

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »

Ive already replied in your editor topic, we should keep it in one place, in case anyone runs into same problem. I already posted, what I found there. I honestly dont know, WHAT causes the problem.

But I did get the same error today, while making a new ship. (aka no old X new version of the editor conflict would have anything to do with it) -

My work flow is allways the same.

I set the Center of the ship

Set the shields.

Bound polygons.

Add engines (edit engines  right, after their placed)

Add weapons slots (first add all of them, then point, then set the weapon arcs.

Preview - Ship details, set the ID, name etc.

Done.

Exactly like this I make every ship and today I got a the same error. So I redid everything (deleted ship files, started over). Once I made the variants I saved it over and old variant(from the first attempt), which had the same name (forgot to delete  it - just this one). So I over-written it. And.. then got another error, about the variant. SO I checked and as I stated in your topic-  it had the OP 155/155, but had only two weapons on it. So I deleted the variant and made a new one - that worked.

So conclusion - I cannot reproduce the "glitch" that causes this behaviour. But its either a bad corruption from the ship file (last time making new and new variants from the "corrupted" .ship file gave me the same resulting error). Or it can (also) be problem while saving/creating the variant.

But its very strange, that Im the only one reporting this.. (could be my bad - but as I say, i use the above method over and over..)

D.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bust this null, Nullbusters (need help with a a new error)
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 04:25:44 AM »

Amother annoying little bugger...  >:( 

Spoiler
*New*

Spoiler
83223 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.OO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.OO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Öô0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.O.Öô0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.D.Öô0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.String.I.Öô0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.new.O?0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.A.class.private$super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.A.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
[close]
[close]

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 06:57:47 AM »

May be something else about the mod.  Did you set the data in the .cvs as well?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 08:04:44 AM »

There's not enough information in the log to really say anything at all. You're just going to have to go the "trial-and-error" approach; take something out, try again, repeat until you don't get the error. That should help you narrow it down.

It might sound silly, but that's how a lot of debugging goes when you don't have access to source code and breakpoints.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »

May be something else about the mod.  Did you set the data in the .cvs as well?

That would be new to me, should I look for something.. specific (I know that sounds dull)

There's not enough information in the log to really say anything at all. You're just going to have to go the "trial-and-error" approach; take something out, try again, repeat until you don't get the error. That should help you narrow it down.

It might sound silly, but that's how a lot of debugging goes when you don't have access to source code and breakpoints.

Thing is I did narrow it down, I know its caused by one ship. If I remove that and all "files, notes, traces" of it. The problem goes away. I can see it in the codex, check the variant in codex, but again - once clikc on the mission to try it out - i get this error and thats it.   :-\  I can show you the ship file, if you want?

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »

Seems like it might take less time to simply re-make the ship from scratch. I can't do much right now because I'm at work

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »

Looks like this happens when it tries to initialize one of the beam weapons for the ship.

Is there a mission-specific variant saved for this ship, perhaps? Try deleting saves\missions\<mission folder> and see if that helps.

Edit: that would explain why the ship is loading in the codex - because it's a different variant.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:38:54 PM by Alex »

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »

Seems like it might take less time to simply re-make the ship from scratch. I can't do much right now because I'm at work

Looks like this happens when it tries to initialize one of the beam weapons for the ship.

Is there a mission-specific variant saved for this ship, perhaps? Try deleting saves\missions\<mission folder> and see if that helps.

Edit: that would explain why the ship is loading in the codex - because it's a different variant.

Thank you both for your time.

There is only one variant. I did some changes to the sprite, removed some of the weapons, moved other weapons around the ship. I got a different error at that time, when I tried to get : "" marks into the name of the ship using Trys editor. Because this glitch I would not even allow me to load the ship file in the editor again to fix this, I had to made a new ship from scratch - that gave me the same error, which log you see here in this topic.

I immidiatelly thought of Try´s sollution - make a new ship file, variant.

So i made a third one and every time I deleted both the .ship and .variant from the mods directory (but obviously left the line for it in the ship.csv file and I didnt delete it from the mission, because I thought it wouldnt matter - since i was gonna use the same name for it).

And now - I simply put the same name of the variant in a different mission of mine (replaced one ship with this variant) and it loads and it works, I can rearm the ship as i please, test it in sim. play the mission. Honestly this is beyond my mind  :-\  Only in the original mission... it crashes the game, but the same files, same name - variant runs in other mission, why is that, can I fix it ?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »

Just to confirm...

What I meant was when you refit a ship, it creates a special variant for it and saves it in the folder specified in my previous post. If you'd created one with the same variant name but when it had different weapon slot ids, that might cause problems. Not sure if it was clear from my previous post - at any rate, did you try clearing out that directory?
Pages: [1] 2