Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flux Supercharge, Range boost instead of Damage boost.  (Read 7091 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Flux Supercharge, Range boost instead of Damage boost.
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »

Not sure how to make it possible lore wise but what if we where somehow capable of changing the damage boost energy weapons get into a range boost?

It could come as a standard, simply push a button and the ship makes the switch.
Or maybe a hull mod that allows you to make the switch, either as a permanent effect or per user discretion in combat with a button, or you get both.
Or as a ship system that adds a range boost on top of the damage boost.

I think this would put more value in upping your own flux (something that was disabled in the to-be-released version, I think) before engaging in combat.

But if you combine this with the two range increasing hull mod's that are already available, the incredible range of energy weapons might become a real problem?

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Supercharge, Range boost instead of Damage boost.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »

Nice idea, but what about the tachyon lance? that weapon had it's range limited on purpose, and if people had to ability to increase that weapons range, i suspect they would set it to whatever the hell they wanted.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:20:32 AM »

not really relevant since it already covers most maps, and on the largest ones you just have to move a wee bit forward to get max coverage.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »

Not sure how to make it possible lore wise but what if we where somehow capable of changing the damage boost energy weapons get into a range boost?

It could come as a standard, simply push a button and the ship makes the switch.
Or maybe a hull mod that allows you to make the switch, either as a permanent effect or per user discretion in combat with a button, or you get both.
Or as a ship system that adds a range boost on top of the damage boost.

I think this would put more value in upping your own flux (something that was disabled in the to-be-released version, I think) before engaging in combat.

But if you combine this with the two range increasing hull mod's that are already available, the incredible range of energy weapons might become a real problem?

the last line here is the real problem with this otherwise good idea

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »

not really relevant since it already covers most maps, and on the largest ones you just have to move a wee bit forward to get max coverage.

I know that, what i really meant was what's to stop people just ramping the lances range up to something like over 9000, and taking pot shots at enemy fleets before they actually engage in a fight.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »

I know that, what i really meant was what's to stop people just ramping the lances range up to something like over 9000, and taking pot shots at enemy fleets before they actually engage in a fight.

they allready do that

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »

... No they don't...

... have you ever been chased by a Tritachyon fleet, whilst have tachyon lances shot at you? I don't think so!

Okay?

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:02:11 PM »

... No they don't...

... have you ever been chased by a Tritachyon fleet, whilst have tachyon lances shot at you? I don't think so!

Okay?

um, there is one ship with lances called a paragon and I avoid fleets with those

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 10:16:02 PM »

Idea is cool.  I have no idea how it'll balance out though.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »

... No they don't...

Okay?

That's because you need to spot a ship to target it, not because the tach lance's range is limited. Also the AI tends to field its tach lance equipped paragons last, at a point where everything else is already dead and the hardpoint mounted lances have a much harder time sniping stuff than turret mounted ones would.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »

You guys should really read my posts more carefully. If any faction in the game, got hold of a tachyon lance, and had the ability to alter its range, they wouldn't stop at the meagre range of 9000, they would try to ramp it up to such an extent that they could take pot shots at fleets before they've even gotten into scanner range.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »

You guys should really read my posts more carefully. If any faction in the game, got hold of a tachyon lance, and had the ability to alter its range, they wouldn't stop at the meagre range of 9000, they would try to ramp it up to such an extent that they could take pot shots at fleets before they've even gotten into scanner range.
Which is entirely possible to do for a human player, but computer players do not shoot at regions that have no sight over.

For a player its not a bad tactic, even though the results are usually very poor you can get lucky once in a while.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »

but they aren't altering its range in the sense that they could go well above and beyond what it was originally capable of doing, they're more doing cheap workarounds to force the beam to go much further than intended, in which they can only do so much before they run out of tricks to make it go further.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »

Which is entirely possible to do for a human player, but computer players do not shoot at regions that have no sight over.

For a player its not a bad tactic, even though the results are usually very poor you can get lucky once in a while.

What? are you telling me that you've taken shots at enemy fleets whilst still chasing them down in campaign mode?

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »

What? are you telling me that you've taken shots at enemy fleets whilst still chasing them down in campaign mode?
Wha? No, I mean the fog of war effect, you can shoot throe it if you have a long enough range. I thought that was what you where talking about.
Pages: [1] 2