Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Turret's!  (Read 6035 times)

FalseDead

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Turret's!
« on: June 25, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »

So at this moment there are basically 3 types of hulls

1) Hi-tech( Tri-Tachyon)

2) Mid-line( independents)

3)Low-tech( Hegemony)

What I am suggesting is that each ship hull be assigned to a group like those above ( with the possibility of adding more hull groups)

then depending on hull group the appearance of a turret would change to match the hull type

I think this would add to the immersion and to the aesthetics of a ship

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Turret's!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »

That might make identifying a weapon your opponent uses more difficult, and force you to memorize three times the actual amount of weapons in the game.

FalseDead

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »

The uncertainty would be a bonus and you could make a fairly accurate guess based on WHO is using it

Plus it would be the turret appearance that changes, not the projectile/beam/bolt/missile ( or may be that too, that would be fun!)

Also it would improve game play instead of looking at a enemy fleet and saying "Hey, I am going to engage at _____ range because they are using _____". You would be forced to scout, perform reconnaissance, puzzle out what they are using and how to counter

(Also I don't Memorize weapons, I just figure out by trial and error where my ship needs t o be during a battle)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:52:24 PM by FalseDead »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »

And it'd also take alot of development time away to unessential stuff, like drawing three times more sprites for each turret/hardpoint. :/

I'm not supporting this idea, no.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »

You wanna different weapon look base on hull tech level? That are BATTLESHIPS not beauty pageant :P
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »

Another thing, not all tech levels have hulls that support the full range of mount types. High Tech ships don't have ballistic mounts, Low Tech ships don't have energy mounts.

So you would not need 3 different appearances for all weapons.

peterispete

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »

Another thing, not all tech levels have hulls that support the full range of mount types. High Tech ships don't have ballistic mounts, Low Tech ships don't have energy mounts.

So you would not need 3 different appearances for all weapons.

Exactly, but i almost agree with him because ballistics look odd on a paragon's omni slots (actually i just find maulers and chainguns odd) and some high tech weapons look odd on a buffalo.
Those are only two cases and even those are just my opinion, so it is probably not worth the extra work( and depending on how it would be implemented, more work for modders too.)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »

Yeah, I don't exactly like this idea all that much. Would be jarring when you loot the weapon from the ship (which sprite would be used for inventory is another point), modders would have to make their own variant of the vanilla weapons for their faction (and double, triple, etc. for more factions in the same mod), and IIRC it would go against the lore of Starfarer (at least I think the weapons are all blueprinted in the same way as ships, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

It is a nice idea, I'll say that, but just impractical on a development and modding scale

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »

I don't think its hard to do though, nor would it need to be extra work for modders. Modders can either ignore it (most likely) or put in the extra effort of making more sprites. I don't think its even necessary to put in any extra variables anywhere in the files we use for modding. It would require an small extension to the code that reads what sprite to match to which weapon and allow it to see to which type of hull the sprite belongs to. Which is something you can easily do by having to place the hull type into the name of the sprite somewhere.

Personally I don't like this suggestion but the more I think about it the more I can't really find any arguments against it.
Other then what I've mentioned every thing I want to hold against this is flawed. So I dislike saying this but it's actually a good idea.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 05:46:40 PM »

It might not be hard to do, but it is time consuming. I mean, currently we have, what 5 factions (player, Hegemony, TriTach, Independent, Pirate), at least? So that would mean at least 10 different sprites for each weapon added (hardpoint & turret, just in case there's any confusion, although I doubt there was). For adding a new faction to the game or mod, there's 66 weapons (including missiles though) that would need to be redone in that faction's style, so that'd be 132 additional sprites needing done (again, hardpoint & turret).

I know that may look like I'm whitewashing your idea, but it isn't intentional, just pointing out the impracticality of it, although Vandala has indirectly stated that the whole thing could be an optional variable. Like I said before, I do like the idea, just not the monumental work that'd have to go in for mods/extra factions to be completely utilising the feature

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »

@OP
Have you looked at how many resources are already needed for weapons?  What you're asking for is to increase that number by 3 or more and take time away from developing the campaign, new ships, new weapons, etc.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 04:44:00 AM »

But what is logical excuse to do it?

ADMIRAL: What D F is that??? I don't like how that weapon look on that ship! Engineers build nicer looking weapon NAU and scrap that ugly thing!!

For me military is all about firepower, killing and ultimate destruction, how you fit "look nice" there?
Creator of:

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 05:06:32 AM »

Agree with arcibalde.

Though you've still gotta kill with style 8)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:32:36 AM »

Though you've still gotta kill with style 8)

HELL YEAH!!!   With ugly, nasty, disgusting peace of extremely heavy hardware  8)
Creator of:

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 06:02:34 AM »

I don't see a problem with provisioning for this capability, as it wouldn't immediately require implementation of any additional art work. It could instead be implemented piecemeal, and for only those ships that would most benefit.

The only reason I can think of against this would be the increased usage of vram. Though i'd be surprised if this was a significant limitation at this time.
Pages: [1] 2