Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.5a Preview (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 301773 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Starfarer 0.5a Preview (Released) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #525 on: February 20, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »

Is there any function to retrieve an arbitrary variant?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 20, 2012, 07:36:37 PM »

Nope. There's no API for doing anything with a variant at this point, anyway.

Levik

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 21, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »

When a new version?
What are you working on now?
thank you

Kilvanya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 21, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »

Quick question:

I was showing a friend starfarer and some of the ships I had made that i'd put in,
copied the entire thing, but when loaded on his machine (Both are macs) it started
throwing missing ships, weapons, and random files as missing.

Not to sure what I did.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 21, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »

When a new version?
What are you working on now?
thank you

From the nearby thread:

Is there going to be another blog post soon? I'm a real sucker for concept art and lore....

Been too busy with bugfixing and getting the next "maintenance" release ready. Have a couple of things I want to write about, but... :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 21, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »

Now, I have been one in the past to beg for a hotfix release, but this time, I would like to ask a serious "why?"

I understand that there may be numerous reasons for not releasing patched versions within a couple of days, but it would ease my anxious waiting to know them.

Is it that you can't/don't wish to support mass frequent downloads?
Is it that you have made other changes, and don't have a version that is just a patched 0.5a?
Is it that you are not finished with the patches?
Is it that you are near to releasing another version anyway? (one can hope!)
(Is it that you love to torture the anxious people?) :P

I will just close by saying that I fully respect the unknown-to-me reasons for not releasing a patch version.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 21, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »

Now, I have been one in the past to beg for a hotfix release, but this time, I would like to ask a serious "why?"

It depends on what you mean by "hotfix". To me it means a release within a day or two to address game-breaking issues. Something like a random and frequent crash, for example, would qualify.

What I'm aiming to do now is make a release within a week (or two, on the outside) - with a bunch of bug fixes and some feature improvements. Since I'm in the middle of some of those right now, yeah, it'd be something of a pain to cut a build (before someone chimes in about code branching - I'm familiar) - but more importantly, I don't think there's anything that can't wait a week or so.

Plus, I do so love "torturing the anxious people" :)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 21, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »

Thank you so much! I am satisfied now, as I don't feel left in a nebula about the state of development.  ;D
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

cromejr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 22, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »

Hi, bought the game a few days ago and never stopped playing it since than. I'm looking forward for the next version, hopefully adding some new stuff to the campaign.
The main reason for the post though is in fact a problem i noticed when you battle an opponent that has only one tipe of ship in its composition being frigate/fighter or whatever and although my army is maxed out if i let my second in command lead the battle 70% of the time they escape...which in my book is impossible since they only have one craft and i have loads...and if i decide to battle it out my self and just hit "search and destroy" they are dead 100% of the time...so i was wondering what is the ai behaviour when i let him battle it out that he manages to let the opponent escape 70% of the time?

All the best and i hope you don't get offended by this, i really respect your work and looking forward to see what you will implement next :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 22, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »

Not offended at all, of course :) Thanks for pointing it out - it actually came up a little while ago, and is on my list of things to fix.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 24, 2012, 04:34:06 AM »

Hi Alex, I got the game a few weeks before the 0.5a patch so I'm just curious how often new version of Starfarer gets patched. Is it a monthly thing or whenever you feel the new content warrants an update? 

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 24, 2012, 04:42:31 AM »

There's no regular schedule, though I do recall him saying early this week that he's expecting the next version to be out in about a week. But yeah, basically whenever he feels like it's a good time to release the changes he's worked on. (The previous one was last September, though I don't expect to see such big waits anymore!)

Kahabut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 24, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »

It depends on what you mean by "hotfix". To me it means a release within a day or two to address game-breaking issues. Something like a random and frequent crash, for example, would qualify.

What I'm aiming to do now is make a release within a week (or two, on the outside) - with a bunch of bug fixes and some feature improvements. Since I'm in the middle of some of those right now, yeah, it'd be something of a pain to cut a build (before someone chimes in about code branching - I'm familiar) - but more importantly, I don't think there's anything that can't wait a week or so.

Plus, I do so love "torturing the anxious people" :)

*snicker* 

I was hoping to hear something about a revised release in the near future, I didn't expect anything so quickly.  Glad news. 

BTW: Truly excellent concept and so far the implementation is brilliant.  I can't wait to see the whole thing.  Any chance of some MOO2 style phase shields / time distortion devices?  :)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 24, 2012, 09:58:50 PM »

oh god LOL we dont need a uber my one doom star can kill your fleet of doom stars load outs LOL..

Phasing Cloak
Stellar Converter
Doom Star Construction
Megafluxers
Subspace Teleporter
Time Warp Facilitator

what you get. 100% invisibility for up to 10 turns (if you never fire weapons, takes 1 turn of not shooting to go back into cloak for 10 more turns)
a weapon that can not miss and envelops target
largest ship in the game
25% more space for more stuff
teleport on battle screen up to 18 squares before your ship actually moves
and a free second turn.. ( to move and NOT shoot to go back to 100% cloak.)

your turn you move and fire (preferably all the while staying far far out of the other sides range. with the stellar converters unlimited range) then the second turn from time warp facilitator you move again and not fire. and re cloak rinse repeat until entire other side is obliterated. you can successfully annihilate any computer opponent without ever being shot at like this.. they wont even move because your invisible.

anyway me and my friend used to play this game a heck of a lot... and when we did hot seat play (lan play was just to slow) we always agreed to not use this setup if we fought each other LOL other wise it just turned into a waiting game.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #539 on: February 24, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »

... uh... what?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39