Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.5a Preview (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 302396 times)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.35a (In Development) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »

Come on man, you must have something new you can add to the change list to keep us busy until the big update.  :'(

Alright, I'll update it this weekend :) You're right, enough big features are actually done to make a reasonable list.

Awesome!  :)  Big features are getting done!  This is news of the very good variety.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.5a (In Development) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »

Updated the patch notes.

What's left until the release, you say? I think that'll make for a good blog post in the near future, but in short, combining all these features into something that's actually fun to play, along with adding a couple of more key features (save games and hopefully character skills/advancement).

brownbread

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »

I'm so excited by these patch notes! This is easily the most promising game that I can remember.
Some interest was drummed up on reddit too, so I hope you got a few more purchases that will help with development.  :)

Will there also be map/game modes that don't have the control points?  It might also be because I am just terrible with the fleet control system, but it's very difficult to manage the capture and defence of the control points when you don't have absolute control over each ship. Often the battles end up with the AI constantly sending single ships to capture a point, but when I defend it often sends half my fleet to do the job etc.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »

Thank you! Yeah, reddit gave a nice boost - certainly brightened up my day :)

Will there also be map/game modes that don't have the control points?  It might also be because I am just terrible with the fleet control system, but it's very difficult to manage the capture and defence of the control points when you don't have absolute control over each ship. Often the battles end up with the AI constantly sending single ships to capture a point, but when I defend it often sends half my fleet to do the job etc.

I'm thinking about that - if both sides pick the attack strategy, the battle could become a slugfest, with fleets spawning close to each other, and no objectives coming into play. No promises, though - need to think that through.

I do want to mention that the command system has been improved some since the last release, and will also get some tooltips. I think that'll help a lot with what you're experiencing, and you'll be able to pick the right assignments more easily. It does offer the flexibility to do what you need to do - it's just that in the current tooltip-free state, you have to experiment a lot to figure it out.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »

Renaming what was 0.35a to 0.5a to reflect the amount of stuff being added.

Latest changes (as of 12/11/2011)

Campaign mode:
  • Single star system with several planets, moons
  • Can engage an enemy fleet, with both sides picking a strategy prior to battle (attack/defend/escape)
  • Use marines to board enemy ships after battle
  • Salvage disabled ships and cargo after battle
  • Cargo management - a single UI to manage fuel, crew, supplies, weapons, marines, and other cargo
  • Fleet management - control how ships get assigned crews
  • Refit ships using the weapons that are available
  • Ships require sufficient crew to be deployed for battle (crew experience not tracked/used quite yet)
  • Persistent ship damage after battles, including locational armor damage
  • Combat autoresolve - let your second in command fight the battle, or exit a battle midway through to autoresolve the rest

Wow, some great changes there, I'm particularly excited about these two, Persistent ship damage, locational Armor damage and being able to auto-resolve the end of a battle after the major victory is won, etc.  :)  Awesome!

I really enjoy having a little battle damage to take care of at the end of a battle, even better if my enemy retains some damage even after getting away.  (Though it isn't clear if opponents also have persistent ship damage currently, no worries if they don't, but that would be pretty cool.  :) )
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »

Oh man oh man oh man ...

0.5a looks amazing. I'm so excited, think I need to go jogging early.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »

I really enjoy having a little battle damage to take care of at the end of a battle, even better if my enemy retains some damage even after getting away.

It's persistent for enemy ships, too.

Oh man oh man oh man ...

0.5a looks amazing. I'm so excited, think I need to go jogging early.

:D

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »

0.5 sounds pretty exciting so far. Can't wait to get my fingers on it :)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »

0.5 sounds pretty exciting so far. Can't wait to get my fingers on it :)

You're speaking for all of us.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2011, 04:55:10 PM »

:O New info! :D

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »

Ok, while there is a lot of cool stuff, I must express a bit of concern over the "never autofire" setting for missiles: does this mean any standard approach to implementing a missile-type weapon (data-file-wise, as oppose to balance-wise) will create a non-autofiring weapon? I have a pair of missile racks that are designed to output a lot of small missiles or rockets over a large period of time.

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »

Ok, while there is a lot of cool stuff, I must express a bit of concern over the "never autofire" setting for missiles: does this mean any standard approach to implementing a missile-type weapon (data-file-wise, as oppose to balance-wise) will create a non-autofiring weapon? I have a pair of missile racks that are designed to output a lot of small missiles or rockets over a large period of time.

What I took from it is that missiles only stop autofiring if the ship is low on ammo. So for instance if you set a small missile rack on autofire it will keep shooting until it has only 10 missiles in the rack.

Which brings me to a question, are there any differences between an AI's fire routine and setting a weapon group on your ship to autofire?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2011, 11:06:26 AM »

Missiles with limited ammo (10 for small, 20 medium, 30 large) never autofire - it's pretty much never a good thing when it happens

It's only "never autofire" for missiles with a low maximum ammo. Basically, I got a bit frustrated after a few times of accidentally turning it on for for those 3-missile racks, and made it not happen anymore. Missile weapons with a higher maximum ammo will still autofire - even when the actual ammo count runs down.

Which brings me to a question, are there any differences between an AI's fire routine and setting a weapon group on your ship to autofire?

Yeah - autofire mode is just a tool that both you and the AI have access to. The AI will use it for certain types of weapons, at certain times - for example, it prefers to use it for weapon groups that have a lot of turrets, and turns it off when flux levels are get high.

For other weapons (such as most missiles, or strike weapons), the AI will fire them manually and with a lot more care.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »

Ah, ok, thanks  ;D

So my PD missiles will still function fine then.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »

Ok, new question:

So if I put a 3 missile missile rack in a group with say, some PD guns, if I set it to autofire, what will happen?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39