Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quick Weapon Modding Questions  (Read 3327 times)

Muffel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Quick Weapon Modding Questions
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »

Is it possible to have a weapon with two or more animations?
Glowing and recoil for example?

And I tried to get burst beams which get more inaccurate the longer you fire, but it doesn't work. Is there a way to get inaccurate burst beams? Like a combination between the Burst PD Laser and the Autopulse Laser.

And is it possible to make really large projectiles, like a cannon which fires big asteroids? With proper collision?

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Weapon Modding Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »

Beams are always perfectly accurate, you'd need to class such a weapon as a projectile firer with a beam projectile type, like the Autopulse, those two functions just don't play nice.

It's possible to have enormous projectiles if you like; just class the weapon as a missile launcher that fires big, fast, dumbfire missiles

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »

Recoil is always there, it's usually just under the HardpointGunSprite code, as "visualrecoil"
And large projectiles are fine, the collision circle just needs to be large enough (specified in the .proj file for it)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:13:44 AM »

I think you guys are missing the point on the collision, he means as in they'll interact with the ship as in exchange of kinetic energy/motion, instead of just being a standard projectile that dissipates the moments it touches the enemy ship. Which personally, cannot be done atm. You can get a projectile with the appearance of an asteroid, but none of the ingame 'asteroid collision' properties.

Beams can't be modified to fire in bursts (more than one beam in a click), and their accuracy can't be tampered with.

KriiEiter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »

I think you guys are missing the point on the collision, he means as in they'll interact with the ship as in exchange of kinetic energy/motion, instead of just being a standard projectile that dissipates the moments it touches the enemy ship. Which personally, cannot be done atm. You can get a projectile with the appearance of an asteroid, but none of the ingame 'asteroid collision' properties.

Beams can't be modified to fire in bursts (more than one beam in a click), and their accuracy can't be tampered with.

I think what he wants is not a beam weapon, but an energy weapon.  Beams aren't what you want if you're making a laser weapon.

And you can make weapons more innacurate the longer they're fired.  I suggest taking a look at this page on the modding wiki.

http://starfarer.thegamewiki.com/wiki/Weapon_Data_CSV

Specifically, these lines are what you're looking for.

min spread - The minimum angle (in degrees) that projectiles will be constrained to firing within. 0 means that the weapon fire can be perfectly accurate, but may not be due to other factors such as max spread.

max spread - The maximum angle (in degrees) that projectiles will be constrained to firing within. 0 means that the weapon will fire shots with perfect accuracy. A maximum spread of 30 means that fire will be wildly inaccurate outside of point blank range.

spread/shot - How many degrees of spread, per shot, is added to the onto minimum spread. When the maximum spread value is reached, there will be no more continued accuracy reduction. Thus, firing a weapon for an extended period of time could make it less accurate. Without a spread/shot value, a weapon will always fire at its minimum spread value.

spread decay/sec - How many degrees of spread are subtracted, per second, from the weapon's current spread. This value is used to control how quickly a weapon will return to true minimum spread after you stop firing.
"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »

Sorry KriiEiter I think you misinterpreted it as well. Lol.

Like a combination between the Burst PD Laser and the Autopulse Laser.

He kinda says what he wanted, the burst pd laser is for all intents, a "BEAM" weapon, it has no specific projectile file attached to it's .weapon file.

The Autopulse laser is a, "RAY" weapon, a weapon that has a specific projectile attached, just like a ballistic weapon.

Beam weapons have no possibility of having their accuracy/minspread/maxspread modified in ANY way (for now).

Ray weapons can use all the parameters a standard ballistic weapon can.

If he wanted the "inaccurate-after-constant-shooting" ray weapon from his description, it would be easy/possible to create as is.
But if he wanted a inaccurate beam weapon, that is atm, impossible to make.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:41:51 PM by FlashFrozen »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »

Well, you could make a regular autopulse and set the beam VERY long, so it'll take a while for it to pass maybe?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »

I've tried it in one of my mods, the moment your very long ray makes contact to a hittable-object/ship, The entire ray disappears awkwardly.

That and the weapon won't behave like a beam in that you can swing it and it'll change directions with you,

Muffel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »

Thank you for your replies, helped me out a lot. I think everything I asked for is covered.