Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On Halo...  (Read 7896 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
On Halo...
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »

Does ME kinda slightly ripoff Halo?
Halo Rings: Reapers
Flood: Synthetic Life
Saren and Reaper aligned Geth: Covenant

Halo rings: destroy all organic life to eliminate the flood.
Reapers: destroy all organic life every 50,000 years to prevent synthetics from destroying organic life as they will always rebel against their creators (which is WRONG as
Spoiler
a good ME3 part would be the geth and Quarians in peace
[close]
Covenant: Engage the rings in an attempt to acquire salvation.
Saren and reaper aligned geth: Become all powerful or be spared from the destruction.

?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: On Halo...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 07:26:29 AM »

Did Halo ripoff Aliens?
Answer: Yes.

Did Mass Effect ripoff Aliens?

Does anything set in space ripoff Aliens?

For real though, comparing Mass Effect and Halo is a difficult sell IMO. They really don't have much in common.

The Flood and the Reapers have barely anything in common. Oh, they both want to destroy all life in the universe? That isn't really a ripoff, more of a classic action game plot. Enemy X wants to destroy all life on the planet. Enemy Z wants to destroy all life in the galaxy.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 07:27:21 AM »

Does anything set in space ripoff Aliens?

Wat about Flash Gordon?
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 07:46:43 AM »

They both sucked as games, but I wouldn't call that a ripoff in the same way you're talking about it.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 07:47:54 AM »

They both sucked as games, but I wouldn't call that a ripoff in the same way you're talking about it.
SHOCKFACE

I love Halo. I played Halo CE when I was 4! Twas my first game...
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »

SHOCKFACE

Well that explains it, you didn't know any better.  ;D

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 07:55:16 AM »

SHOCKFACE

Well that explains it, you didn't know any better.  ;D
I still love it to this day.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »

Excuse me, I'll have you know that Mass Effect is an awesome series. And Halo's not so bad, but it's not in my top bunch of games.

As for the topic at hand, I wouldn't say ME rips off Halo in any way.

The Halo rings do their killingness to starve the flood, the Reapers kill things off because they're omnicidal machine gods (unless you want to get into the ending. I do not want to get into the ending).
The flood aren't machines, and they tend to act in a more bestial manner than any of the ME synthetic life. The stuff in ME is more the "conventional" type, AI that's got free will.
Geth (Heretics, anyway) believed Sovereign was their god. Saren was indoctrinated. Basically a union of mind-control rather than mutual hate and coercion.
Again, Saren only "thinks" that life would get spared if he sided with the Reapers because he was too far gone in terms of indoctrination to even consider otherwise.

They are two very different games with two very different settings. Because they're both set in space, saving the world isn't a very special thing in a galaxy filled with billions of stars. You have to up the ante, which invariably means saving the galaxy and all life in it.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »

The Halo rings do their killingness to starve the flood, the Reapers kill things off because they're omnicidal machine gods (unless you want to get into the ending. I do not want to get into the ending).
The flood aren't machines, and they tend to act in a more bestial manner than any of the ME synthetic life. The stuff in ME is more the "conventional" type, AI that's got free will.
Geth (Heretics, anyway) believed Sovereign was their god. Saren was indoctrinated. Basically a union of mind-control rather than mutual hate and coercion.
Again, Saren only "thinks" that life would get spared if he sided with the Reapers because he was too far gone in terms of indoctrination to even consider otherwise.

They are two very different games with two very different settings. Because they're both set in space, saving the world isn't a very special thing in a galaxy filled with billions of stars. You have to up the ante, which invariably means saving the galaxy and all life in it.
Actually I would say they're similar...
Both protagonists save the galaxy and all organic life... that's one similarity
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 08:18:44 AM »

That's hardly grounds to say that they're ripping one another off though. That's like saying Alpha Protocol is ripping of Call of Duty because it's in a modern setting

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 08:19:36 AM »

To add more detail... they both have a plot item or object or however you say it that is designed to eliminate all organic life...
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »

A bit more detail... both the Protheans and the Forerunners designed massive weaponry to defeat their annihilators... the Protheans and the races that died before them created... the citadel thingy? And the forerunners made the Ark and the halo rings....
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 08:23:45 AM »

Again, that's the standard evil genius "I vant to destroy the vorld! Muhahahahaha!" trope dialed up to be significant in the setting. Tyranids in Warhammer 40k, for example devour all organic life, including plants, so does that make Halo and Mass Effect rip them off?

EDIT: Bad example there. The Protheans' culture and technology were based on what the Reapers left behind. Most of their stuff isn't even there's. Like the Citidel. Made by the Reapers.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »

A bit more detail... both the Protheans and the Forerunners designed massive weaponry to defeat their annihilators... the Protheans and the races that died before them created... the citadel thingy? And the forerunners made the Ark and the halo rings....

Then I could just bluntly say that this game rips-off S.P.A.Z, or SOASE, because they are about space, have races in them, and are about space ships and space empires. That's how you are judging me3 and Halo.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 08:29:09 AM »

Again, that's the standard evil genius "I vant to destroy the vorld! Muhahahahaha!" trope dialed up to be significant in the setting. Tyranids in Warhammer 40k, for example devour all organic life, including plants, so does that make Halo and Mass Effect rip them off?
OH!

Thanks for reminding me.
'Nids.

I would like to point out that not everything rips off - there's a lot of inspiration. I would say it's a ripoff when there's very little difference.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.
Pages: [1] 2