Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368043 times)

Dx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #480 on: July 18, 2012, 08:01:32 AM »

I have always viewed the Lance as a support weapon due to it's range, I think you should keep the range but instead of doing any damage it should be straight up EM damage. This would give the Lance a distinct role, a long range laser meant for helping front line fighters by disabling ship systems, This would also make the Lance useless against shields, but very handy when hitting heavily armed targets. Oh and it shouldn't be capable of hitting fighters.

You know, I actually considered these very two ideas :) Pure EMP damage for the lance could work - just not sure that it *feels* right for it to do no lasting damage at all. Still, the damage changes move it towards that, and it may move further in that direction still.

As far as not hitting fighters: Balance-wise, it might be a workable solution - but it's one more thing to explain, and one more thing to be confused by as a new player (and the AI would be confused by it too). I'd rather look for solutions that don't create exceptions to rules, first.

And how about add new weapon - Long Range Ion Cannon, EMP damage only slow moving electro-sparky ball. It will extend support role, will not hit frigs and fighters, do not mess up Lance's role.

Now there is only two truly Long Range Weapon in game - Lance and Pilum. Is it enough?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:18:55 AM by Dx »

Dx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 18, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »

Lore-wise, you could say that a phase carrier has the tech to pull fighters into phase with it as they come in for a landing, or some such.
Why then they can not push out of phase Big Fat Torpedo? 8)))

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 18, 2012, 08:28:51 AM »

Lore-wise, you could say that a phase carrier has the tech to pull fighters into phase with it as they come in for a landing, or some such.
EW package aboard the torpedo scrambling its signature?
could make up an interesting hull mod enabling your torpedoes to phase out for a limited time though but forcing them to phase back in certain distance from enemy target

Dx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 18, 2012, 08:56:27 AM »

could make up an interesting hull mod enabling your torpedoes to phase out for a limited time though but forcing them to phase back in certain distance from enemy target
It is a system, not hull mod 8) Torpedo, that cannot be DP'ed, I like it 8)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #484 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »

Oh cool, phase ships are now in!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 18, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »

Isn't this more an AI problem, IE that they don't know to arm their shields versus threats with longer ranged weapons?

They do now, actually - that was one of the first things I fixed when taking a closer look at the lance.

Yeah if the Lance keeps its 32 OP and gets this big nerf, im never going to use it again.

Your mistake, I believe :) I think it's still rather overpowered, just down from the "insanely overpowered" levels it was at before. Given a 32 OP cost, this may be ok. Also: it's pretty useful at close range, even more so now - any ship taking a lance hit on the armor is going to be crippled quickly, with many weapons being disabled almost immediately - *and*, due to the high effective DPS, the armor damage is quite impressive. It's also quite good against fighters.

So, to recap: excellent anti-armor, best range in the game - by far - for a direct-fire weapon, great in an anti-fighter role, massive EMP damage, perfect accuracy. Poor vs shields, poor dps, high OP cost.

I'm not going to claim that it's perfectly balanced, but the above sounds pretty good to me.

Hah! Good point there. Well, I was just making up a rationalization for a mod that might do this - as of now, as I mentioned, these aren't in the base game. If they show up there, I'm sure I'll come up with something more solid to rationalize this away :)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 18, 2012, 01:07:38 PM »

...Now I want to see phasing torpedo bombers.  I'll have to mod some in come next version.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »

Hah! Good point there. Well, I was just making up a rationalization for a mod that might do this - as of now, as I mentioned, these aren't in the base game. If they show up there, I'm sure I'll come up with something more solid to rationalize this away :)
Wouldn't it be up to the modders to come up with some rationalization?

As far as the Lance goes, I think I might actually start using it. For me, it took most of the fun out of the game. The Tachyon Lance would blow the enemy ships up before any of my other weapons could get in to range, and well before any of theirs did.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 18, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »

Wouldn't it be up to the modders to come up with some rationalization?
Srsly.

Maybe the fighters are big enough to carry some sort of phasing equipment, but weapons wouldn't be? Or expensive enough? I dunno....   Reaching, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 18, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »

This is declassified top secret information [some parts have been omitted or censored for security purposes] on the systems used in a dimensional shifting, that is from what can be called normal-space (n-space) to what is known as phase-space (p-space), ships, and the method they use to retrieval and launch ships, with additional information on attempts to utilize this system for weapons use.

Technical definitions and explanation:
[:) censored for you safety :)]

As has become known, due to leak from the development team who are responsible for the design and use of phase ships (DTWARDUPS) headed by acme launch experimentation of xanadu, phase ships do exist and they can retrieve and launch fighters or drones while the carrier ship remains in phase space. There has been much worry over how these ships would upset the current balance of power in how our defense fleets will be able to cope with assaults performed by phase ships, who would seem capable of remaining phased while launching weapons.

DTWARDUPS has revealed that this highly unlikely as the current mechanics of a phase ship phasing in a non-phased object a threshold of engine capability, mass, control, but most importantly [censored for you safety   8):-X) 8)] it is for this reason that there are no known feasible means of making a phase state transfer capable weapon

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 18, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »

I guess i have to test the Lance to determine if its worth the 32 OP.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 19, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »

well i guess is ship is big enough to be a carrier it could carry a few spare phase-field generators that can project small phase-field at some range from the ship....the smaller the object the bigger could be the range i.e. fighters can only be phased when they dock with the ship to allow docking but torps could be phased at some distance from the ship but since shells from guns are too fast and too numerous you cannot phase out nor phase IN those

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 19, 2012, 03:36:31 AM »

I'm not sure why weapon buffs/nerfs are even under debate.  If you don't like it a certain way, go into weapon_data.csv and change them to whatever you want.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 19, 2012, 07:36:58 AM »

Technical definitions and explanation:
[:) censored for you safety :)]
Aw, but being mind !@#$ed by physics is the best part

totally off topic but has anyone else noted that Google search has a better spell checker than Google chrome

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #494 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »

I'm not sure why weapon buffs/nerfs are even under debate.  If you don't like it a certain way, go into weapon_data.csv and change them to whatever you want.
The base game should always have a modicum of balance. I mean, otherwise we might as well just be given a blank csv or one where every value is set to 1 to fill in whatever we want.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 57