Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368159 times)

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #435 on: July 15, 2012, 03:32:09 AM »

not sure about the Tach Lance change...it was already very hard to use against anything bigger than a destroyer(and even some destroyers were problematic)
 maybe change it to deal hard flux since its basically pulse weapon not a true beam

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 15, 2012, 04:14:22 AM »

You'd be surprised when if i told you how burst pd arrays are very mean towards ships with no shields. They tear up armor like nobodys business. Especially the heavy burst laser, which is flux efficient too. :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:29:06 AM by Upgradecap »

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 15, 2012, 06:53:50 AM »

hmmm whats YaHo? :)
i use burst PDs on my Paragon they can be quite nasty thats true

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 15, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »

hmmm whats YaHo? :)
i use burst PDs on my Paragon they can be quite nasty thats true

I don't know? My phone can be very awkward and strange at times -_-

The word is supposed to be how, BTW

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 15, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »

Can a phased ship pass through another phased ship? I mean, they are both using the same technology right? Aren't they also going into the same "phase space" thing?

They can - p-space physics and n-space physics are not the same :)

I am concerned though if a lone skirmish frigate like the hound or wolf no longer runs from other frigates, they'll be surrounded and crushed. Will this not be the case?

Well, it doesn't mean that it won't back off tactically - this just puts an end to the "turn around and try to run" behavior, which is ok vs slower ships - but vs frigates and fighters just gets it shot up, with the "bonus" of not being able to fire back because it's turned away.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 15, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »

• Three new phase ships: one cruiser and two frigates
I figured any phase ship would almost certainally have a strike loadout, and since ships use strike tactics rely heavily on speed, a cruiser class phase ship is surprising to me.

Weapon/balance changes:
  • Phase Beam: increased range by 100 units
  • Phase Charge Launcher: renamed to "Proximity Charge Launcher", increased ammo to 30, increased launch speed, reduced rate of fire from 1/second to 1/3 seconds, reduced damage
Bummer. I was hopping that the phase weapons would increase the flux of a ship in phase. Oh well.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 15, 2012, 01:28:48 PM »

• Three new phase ships: one cruiser and two frigates
I figured any phase ship would almost certainally have a strike loadout, and since ships use strike tactics rely heavily on speed, a cruiser class phase ship is surprising to me.

Weapon/balance changes:
  • Phase Charge Launcher: renamed to "Proximity Charge Launcher", increased ammo to 30, increased launch speed, reduced rate of fire from 1/second to 1/3 seconds, reduced damage
Bummer. I was hopping that the phase weapons would increase the flux of a ship in phase. Oh well.

If you can close the distance from a targets maximum range to your strike range, whilst remaining totally invulnerable, you do not need to rely upon speed, as long as your invulnerability lasts long enough to close the gap. Strike craft rely on speed as it allows them to avoid damage that would overwhelm a shield system of their size class. Phasing offers an alternative damage avoidance mechanic.[/list][/list]
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 15, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »

This just puts an end to the "turn around and try to run" behavior, which is ok vs slower ships - but vs frigates and fighters just gets it shot up, with the "bonus" of not being able to fire back because it's turned away.

Ahh, that makes much more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 15, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »

Weapon/balance changes:

Yeah... we actually considered something like that, and it's also come up as a suggestion a few times. My current thinking on it is it would bring the mechanics of phasing closer to the mechanics of shields (anti-phase would be analogous to kinetic), and I don't think that's desirable. My preference is to keep phase mechanics more unique.

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 15, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »

Weapon/balance changes:

Yeah... we actually considered something like that, and it's also come up as a suggestion a few times. My current thinking on it is it would bring the mechanics of phasing closer to the mechanics of shields (anti-phase would be analogous to kinetic), and I don't think that's desirable. My preference is to keep phase mechanics more unique.

What about the idea that phase weapons are really high flux weapons (impractical for normal ships) BUT they are the only weapons that can be fired by ships in phase?
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 15, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »

That sorta contradicts the whole idea that the flux is the limiting factor for ships in phase.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 15, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »

If you can close the distance from a targets maximum range to your strike range, whilst remaining totally invulnerable, you do not need to rely upon speed, as long as your invulnerability lasts long enough to close the gap.
Speed doesn't just help you get in to range, it also helps you get away after you've dealt your damage. I imagine that just like shields, it will take a moment for your ship to entirely enter phase space.

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 15, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »

Alex, regarding Phase Cloaking, you've could create Predator-like (or Starcraft 1 like) Space Disruption Effect instead of Phase Coils, that would be more awesome and realistic. But its yours decision and I respect it :)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 15, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »

Alex, regarding Phase Cloaking, you've could create Predator-like (or Starcraft 1 like) Space Disruption Effect instead of Phase Coils, that would be more awesome and realistic. But its yours decision and I respect it :)

If we're talking about the visuals, I really like how the phase coils came out. Haven't seen anything similar, either - where the "spatial distortion" thing has been done, ahem, once or twice. But, of course, it's a matter of taste, and there's no arguing about taste :)

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 16, 2012, 12:36:55 AM »

If we're talking about the visuals, I really like how the phase coils came out. Haven't seen anything similar, either - where the "spatial distortion" thing has been done, ahem, once or twice. But, of course, it's a matter of taste, and there's no arguing about taste :)
From looks of screen shots Phase Coils reveal too much of ships location (well if it will have 10% opacity it will be hardly detectable too), while if it will be "spatial distortion", player must be careful and watch background in order to detect invisible ship. Well it's Innovation (Phase Cloak) vs Classics (Optical Cloak), I will be glad if both of them will be implemented :)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 57