Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368120 times)

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #390 on: July 11, 2012, 05:05:02 AM »

There have been a few times where I just haven't been able to push down a retreating ship's shields fast enough with low/zero flux, and building up flux has allowed me to overload the shields in time, The dissipation was high enough to never build up flux by firing, and the retreating ship was not firing upon my craft, so the only way ti build up flux was via the manual key.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »

Same, on some ships i personally run in with engine boosted flux 0, raise shields while flux boosting and deliver a nice clean 40% extra damage with my energies which pretty much run cool.

Even the Oddysey i sometimes manually max flux just so i can deliver a crisp blow from my autopulses in a short ammount of time, given the fact that having the target in my crosshairs is a rare thing.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:09:55 AM by Cosmitz »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 11, 2012, 11:36:32 AM »

Maybe I'm out the loop as a ballistics guy, but what does purposely building up your flux with a key do?

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 11, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »

More flux means more energy weapon damage (in percentages). So building up flux means increasing your damage at the cost of making you an easier target.

Anyway, personally I never found a use for building up flux, but I certainly did see some usage in it: A little more damage in the first strike, more damage from a safe, supporting beam ship...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 11, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »

I realize that this is sometimes useful, and so removing it as an option is, strictly speaking, a slight nerf to energy-weapon-using ships. I just think it's an awkward mechanic, and it is pretty useless most of the time - so simplifying things a bit by removing it is worthwhile.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 11, 2012, 11:48:59 AM »

we hear you :D
we are just griping because we can :P

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 11, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »

Oh yeah, one question, while its impossible to have 2 ship systems on a player ship, can we add 2 or more on a variant for AI ships only, for example, adding a custom made Cloak and High Energy Focus so i could place them on a Bird or Prey on my Star Trek mod, when he comes out of cloak he (the AI) can use the High Energy Focus to burn out an enemy target?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 11, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »

Oh yeah, one question, while its impossible to have 2 ship systems on a player ship, can we add 2 or more on a variant for AI ships only, for example, adding a custom made Cloak and High Energy Focus so i could place them on a Bird or Prey on my Star Trek mod, when he comes out of cloak he (the AI) can use the High Energy Focus to burn out an enemy target?

No. You'd have other problems there, though - you wouldn't be able to write a custom AI for a brand-new system like that in the first place.

Also, systems are specified per-hull, not per variant.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 11, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »

Hey Alex. ETA on update / new update notes?  ;)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 11, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »

I realize that this is sometimes useful, and so removing it as an option is, strictly speaking, a slight nerf to energy-weapon-using ships. I just think it's an awkward mechanic, and it is pretty useless most of the time - so simplifying things a bit by removing it is worthwhile.
It is pretty much useless for all shot-based weapons.

However, it can be EXTREMELY (I cannot stress it enough) useful to beam weapons - just because you need that few points of damage to break enemy ship's flux dissipation and start building up his flux. Best example? High Intensity Laser - some may say it's not worth anything, but it has low OP cost, very good range, and low flux. You can stay out of Dominator's range all the time, and slowly build up his flux, thanks to increasing your damage via F key (provided you have two HILs of course - one is still not enough).

Regardless of ship attacked, ability to increase your damage output is very valuable when used with beam weapons - it essentialy helps overcome their biggest problem which is soft flux buildup. It doesn't make a tactical laser an anti-capital weapon, but it gets you the edge needed. While exposing you to an overload, of course.

That is my opinion on the subject, and while I understand this decision, I do not agree with it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:44:45 PM by neonesis »

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 11, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »

To be fair, if that facility is removed, i'd say remove the bonus while high-fluxed and just blanket the energy weapons with +5% damage. Since it's a passive gameplay feature that you just 'have there' without any serious direct control. This forces you do to random stuff like shooting wildly to raise flux and just doesn't feel right.

And i'm not a developer by a long shot, but keeping the feature in shouldn't be that much of a hassle, and not like Starfarer takes up half the keyboard.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 11, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »

To be fair, if that facility is removed, i'd say remove the bonus while high-fluxed and just blanket the energy weapons with +5% damage. Since it's a passive gameplay feature that you just 'have there' without any serious direct control. This forces you do to random stuff like shooting wildly to raise flux and just doesn't feel right.
Or, why don't you shoot at an enemy to raise your flux? Crazy, I know.

A 5% increase in energy weapon damage while taking out the flux bonus would be an even larger nerf to energy weapons.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 11, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »

Great , so now that will be ARCADE style battlepaly -_-'
common that ain't right, buildup flux must stay

:-[                                                             
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 11, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »

Or, why don't you shoot at an enemy to raise your flux? Crazy, I know.

A 5% increase in energy weapon damage while taking out the flux bonus would be an even larger nerf to energy weapons.

Considering you'd have the bonus full time, even at low flux.. ok, 5% might be low, but i'm not the one to be making those figures.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 11, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »

So i just wanted to be sure that we have nothing better to talk about.

But honestly guys i understand your frustration but seriously, do we have nothing better to talk about? phase ships? ship systems? ect?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57