Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368108 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #375 on: July 10, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »

Being able to manually increase flux levels isn't worthless, but... if the fight is going to be close, I always found it better to come in at zero flux and let enemy weapon fire build up my flux levels.  And if I expected incoming damage to be low enough that I could afford to manually boost flux levels, well, that meant the enemy was toast anyway and it didn't matter.

That said, I've come up with a notion that would, for a few ships, make manual flux boosting actually a worthwhile tactical option; see suggestion here.

Which you can do anyway by just firing off a few of your energy weapons before you are in range.

Besides, my trouble with energy weapons is trying to dissipate flux, not generate it.
Not necessarily; I much prefer to have flux dissipation at least equal to maximum flux generation.  It's not always possible, especially if you're using heavy blasters - but, for an example, my standard Apogee design can fire its plasma cannon indefinitely without cumulative flux build-up.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

darklaurence

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 10, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »

Which you can do anyway by just firing off a few of your energy weapons before you are in range.

Besides, my trouble with energy weapons is trying to dissipate flux, not generate it.

you try building flux in a tempest with 2 energy weapons see how long it takes you  ships that just use primarily energy weapons it can be a really handy boost And really if its allready built into the game why not just leave it as an unassigned key?

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 10, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

you try building flux in a tempest with 2 energy weapons see how long it takes you
Half a second. Take one hit to your shields.

And really if its allready built into the game why not just leave it as an unassigned key?
I don't know. Maybe it was a game mechanic that a developer thought was unnecessary, or maybe they thought it was unbalanced for whatever reason.

Not necessarily; I much prefer to have flux dissipation at least equal to maximum flux generation.
With that much flux dissipation, I wouldn't think manually increasing your flux levels would be a part of your strategy, but I could see how manually raising your flux levels would be safer and easier that way.

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 10, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »

Didn't use the Flux build up key much; thought it might be used for speedy mining later on - guess not. Might make a comeback as part of a system later on though, who knows.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 10, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »

I never found a use for the flux buildup key - if I'm in an energy weapon ship and want more flux, I stick around longer. Hits to the shield and my own weapon fire do a fine job raising flux, and by sticking around longer I do more damage.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 10, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »

I never found a use for the flux buildup key - if I'm in an energy weapon ship and want more flux, I stick around longer. Hits to the shield and my own weapon fire do a fine job raising flux, and by sticking around longer I do more damage.

If a ship is overloading and you need to deal that extra damage to finish it off.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 10, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »

I just found that I never used the flux key just because of it's sheer uselessness.  If I want more damage with my energy weapons, I put all my weapons on autofire and wait.  Takes a few seconds, and I'm doing damage while I'm at it.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »

long range lance snipping?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 10, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »

just wondering... how big a role will the systems play in combat?

For example the omen's main armament seems to be its EMP (since it takes up the whole middle of the sprite)

Are wolves and medusae going to become the ships that just skim around? Or are they still gonna spend most of their time going around conventionally and going pew-pew at the enemy?

Basically, about how often can systems be used and how much would it effect what a ship is doing on the battlefield most of the time
mmm.... tartiflette

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 10, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »

There'a a cooldown of 10 seconds for burn drive, maybe that will give you an idea of cooldown for skimmers.  Alex will have to answer that, though.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 10, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »

just wondering... how big a role will the systems play in combat?

For example the omen's main armament seems to be its EMP (since it takes up the whole middle of the sprite)

Are wolves and medusae going to become the ships that just skim around? Or are they still gonna spend most of their time going around conventionally and going pew-pew at the enemy?

Basically, about how often can systems be used and how much would it effect what a ship is doing on the battlefield most of the time

That's a good question - it depends on the system. For the phase skimmer, the cooldown is 5 seconds but it can build up to 3 charges - so, while you won't be skimming around all the time, it's really useful for darting in or out, or for getting around the map a little faster.

Some systems are more situational - such as flares. The number of uses for those is limited, too.

Other systems are more passive - such as the various drone launchers. You won't likely be "using" them (i.e., pressing the 'f' key) a lot, but they'll be around on the battlefield most of the time.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 10, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »

Oh?  The Phase Skimmer has charges?  does that mean you have an infinite number of uses, if you let them charge up like burst weapons?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 10, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »

Oh?  The Phase Skimmer has charges?  does that mean you have an infinite number of uses, if you let them charge up like burst weapons?

Yep, that's exactly how it works. That way you can build up a few charges and use it in rapid succession - which turned out to be really fun in testing, but very overpowered if you could just do it at that rate all the time. Hence, the charges.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 10, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »

so phase skimmers are gonna be spending a lot of the time jumping around in the battlefield?

hmm (was hoping for it to be a bit rarer, but there's always modding, right?)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:07:49 PM by gunnyfreak »
mmm.... tartiflette

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 11, 2012, 02:52:15 AM »

whoa... wait a min, so you wanna tell me that building flux up option will disappear ?

even if its ussles & even to me thats have to stay, i wanna know that i have that option even if i ain't use it

(butt hell, i'm ... in the start of the battle when im fire "lance" or any long reloading laser wepon)
-the ABOMINATION - in progress
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57