Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368066 times)

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #255 on: June 30, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »

Same here. I got the game when it introduced the free-roam element and was really excited by the prospect of sci-fi sandbox a la Privateer.

However, it's been several month and it's still essentially the same thing; there's only so much combat can sustain any level of excitement. I haven't even played the last patch and most likely wouldn't touch the game again until some significant new gameplay elements have been introduced.

Starfarer is a great game and has great potential but I guess I, along with many in the forum, underestimated the development cycle. I blame society for my lack of patience. :P

Keep up the great work Alex and hope to be mesmerised by your game again in a few months time.

James Sullivan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 30, 2012, 09:31:14 AM »

Oh I fully understand that it may be a very long time before we see a finished game. This is the most interesting part for me, seeing the game develop over the years.

I'm extremely thankful for any scifi sandbox experience, it's been quite a while since Freelancer and the X series has never satisfied the same urges for me.

Fisk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »

I'm hoping there will be some grand goal you can reach like conquering the entire galaxy and that it'll take a very long time. Just to have something to work for when playing this game once in a while, other then whatever quest and similar will be available.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »

I would just like to say that I cannot begin to imagine what these people are talking about who think that Starfarer's development is going anything resembling slowly. I can only guess that these people have absolutely zero experience with indie game development whatsoever, even just watching and waiting on any previous titles in development, and are letting their excitement for this title severely cloud their reasoning.

Starfarer's development has so far consistently been what I would call blisteringly fast, and I have kept tabs on (and even participated in a few small examples of) many, many developing indie games, of all genres and sizes, over a course of about the last decade and a half.

My website bookmarks list alone contains, let's see... seventeen different websites, mostly individual titles, almost all of them unfinished, ongoing projects, and 3 addresses which are aggregate sites dedicated to tracking various developing indie games. I check and recheck many of these daily, all of them weekly, and have done so with many more over the years than my bookmark list covers even the merest fraction of.

And I have to say, Starfarer, which I also check just about daily, has been standing out as a very frequently updated game, a notably updated website, and an extraordinarily active dev presence in the game's community.

The rate of progress and dev communication is simply, undeniably exceptional, especially when compared to the format and frequency of other titles' updates.

Hell, I'd even just point to the likes of Cortex Command or various long stages of Minecraft's development as the other end of the spectrum.

I guess it's in the nature of the enthusiastic fan to keep demanding more, and that's fine and dandy, but a wise fan should know the difference between the absurd, machine-like efficiency and speed of Starfarer's dev team, and the likes of the rest of the indie chaff out there, where entire teams of people don't say a word and can't work a dozen lines of code together or even update their website to tell anyone what's going on for years at a time.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »

I would just like to say that I cannot begin to imagine what these people are talking about who think that Starfarer's development is going anything resembling slowly. I can only guess that these people have absolutely zero experience with indie game development whatsoever, even just watching and waiting on any previous titles in development, and are letting their excitement for this title severely cloud their reasoning.

Starfarer's development has so far consistently been what I would call blisteringly fast, and I have kept tabs on (and even participated in a few small examples of) many, many developing indie games, of all genres and sizes, over a course of about the last decade and a half.

My website bookmarks list alone contains, let's see... seventeen different websites, mostly individual titles, almost all of them unfinished, ongoing projects, and 3 addresses which are aggregate sites dedicated to tracking various developing indie games. I check and recheck many of these daily, all of them weekly, and have done so with many more over the years than my bookmark list covers even the merest fraction of.

And I have to say, Starfarer, which I also check just about daily, has been standing out as a very frequently updated game, a notably updated website, and an extraordinarily active dev presence in the game's community.

The rate of progress and dev communication is simply, undeniably exceptional, especially when compared to the format and frequency of other titles' updates.

Hell, I'd even just point to the likes of Cortex Command or various long stages of Minecraft's development as the other end of the spectrum.

I guess it's in the nature of the enthusiastic fan to keep demanding more, and that's fine and dandy, but a wise fan should know the difference between the absurd, machine-like efficiency and speed of Starfarer's dev team, and the likes of the rest of the indie chaff out there, where entire teams of people don't say a word and can't work a dozen lines of code together or even update their website to tell anyone what's going on for years at a time.

You are exactly right, this is a really fast development, and with big updates too! It is really a shame people are too impatient, I too have loads of games I'm waiting for, e.g. Firefall, Towns...

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »

I'm guessing the development will slow down relatively soon, probably at most a year from now, when the dev team is starting to finish the game, and are probably also getting a little burnt out from the incredibly fast development cycles at the moment. I'm hoping that Alex and his team takes their time, and doesn't listen to people saying "I want more updates, faster and NOW!", as it would hurt the game.

But, from what I've seen so far, the team knows each other well enough to keep a really good pace, without getting too burnt out. At least, that's my impression.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »

You are exactly right, this is a really fast development, and with big updates too! It is really a shame people are too impatient, I too have loads of games I'm waiting for, e.g. Firefall, Towns...

i thought towns had an update

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:15 AM »

I feel like I started this...
I probably did. :(
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 01, 2012, 06:48:32 AM »

The speed of development is bound to be brought up again and again as people aren't familiar with indie development.  Afaik, Alex is the only dev.  Considering this, Starfarer is doing very well--there are regular releases and every one is very stable and complete feeling.  That's commendable.

Know that given the scope of Starfarer, it will take years to build the game to what most imagine it will become.  Some titles, such as Cortex Command, are ten years in the making...thank god Alex is more communicative than Data (CC's dev).  My advice is to pick up a few more games to follow or get a hobby--you will burn out long before Starfarer becomes what you want it to be if you're expecting miracles every release.  Welcome to indie game development, one developer style.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:50:23 AM by keptin »

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »

The speed of development is bound to be brought up again and again as people aren't familiar with indie development.  Afaik, Alex is the only dev.  Considering this, Starfarer is doing very well--there are regular releases and every one is very stable and complete feeling.  That's commendable.

Know that given the scope of Starfarer, it will take years to build the game to what most imagine it will become.  Some titles, such as Cortex Command, are ten years in the making...thank god Alex is more communicative than Data (CC's dev).  My advice is to pick up a few more games to follow or get a hobby--you will burn out long before Starfarer becomes what you want it to be if you're expecting miracles every release.  Welcome to indie game development, one developer style.

I thought there was a five men team?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 01, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »

So did i. ???

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »

It is a team, but Alex is the only coder. (I think)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 01, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »

Read the starfarer credits ingame. Ivaylo codes aswell. :D

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 01, 2012, 08:52:22 AM »

ah.

Well SHAME on you keptin for not knowing that!  ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 01, 2012, 09:01:35 AM »

Thanks for the support, guys! Ultimately, all I can do is work at the best pace I can, but I'm glad to know that it's not universally considered slow :)

The speed of development is bound to be brought up again and again as people aren't familiar with indie development.  Afaik, Alex is the only dev.  Considering this, Starfarer is doing very well--there are regular releases and every one is very stable and complete feeling.  That's commendable.

Know that given the scope of Starfarer, it will take years to build the game to what most imagine it will become.  Some titles, such as Cortex Command, are ten years in the making...thank god Alex is more communicative than Data (CC's dev).  My advice is to pick up a few more games to follow or get a hobby--you will burn out long before Starfarer becomes what you want it to be if you're expecting miracles every release.  Welcome to indie game development, one developer style.

I thought there was a five men team?

Just to clear this up - I'm the only one working on it full-time, so I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes in. Matthew also isn't working on it anymore, but, of course, is still in the credits - at this point, four people are working on the game in various capacities. So, I'm definitely not the only dev - but at the same time, saying "five four man team" - while absolutely true - probably creates some unrealistic expectations, given the actual circumstances.

Btw: I've been without power for about two days now, and still don't have it back (posting this from relatives' house). Temperature's been in the 90s, too, so this is oh so very much fun.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57