Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368181 times)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »

The odyssey's ability seems like its going to limit it to tachyon lance use, sort of sad about that because i liked using it in close with autopulse lasers. Not using it's subsystem would feel like a waste, but no shields and 50% extra damage taken is just a death sentence for any high tech ship thats in anything but tachyon lance range. Not sure what i would have preferred tho.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:11 PM »

Thanks for the explanation on drones, Alex! That'll be fun to play with on the Astral.

The odyssey's ability seems like its going to limit it to tachyon lance use, sort of sad about that because i liked using it in close with autopulse lasers. Not using it's subsystem would feel like a waste, but no shields and 50% extra damage taken is just a death sentence for any high tech ship thats in anything but tachyon lance range. Not sure what i would have preferred tho.

You could still use it to deal out a ton of damage when the enemy ship is overloaded/just got hit with a bunch of EMP devices. That'd add more punch to energy weapons that'll bring them to HE levels versus armor.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »

Holy crap! The thread is out? When will we see it in action, though? (And please, I don't take soonTM as an answer :))

Also, this is going to be awesome :D

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »

Also it affects all energy energy weapons, not just the big guns. that increases the strength of pd lasers as well. So while you might not be able to use shields, you won't really need them against missiles. What I would do is to have your shields up and go into battle with some sort of heavy burst energy weapon. Either plasma blasters or autopulse (maybe a few AM blasters thrown in for fun). Then activate the High Energy ability and burst them down during a lull in their attacks. SO MUCH DAMAGE
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »

I have a question about this change. The Odyssey's large mounts are in a weird place arc-wise, as there's no overlap between left/right until a fair distance from the ship, but at Tachyon Lance distances, the overlap is wider than a capital ship - here's what I mean. Will my Fire Support Odyssey now try to hit with all three Lances, or will the AI just use the two on the left?

It'll fire with all three, but only if it's a Fire Support assignment (there, it actually evaluates a wide range of possible facings for optimal firepower). In regular, close-in fighting (even when it might be able to sneak in a shot with all three), it'll pick the left side.

It should already be doing this in Fire Support mode, though - it's not a recent change.

I just ran a few battles and hung back with my Odysseys, and yeah, they work perfectly. Sorry about that, I based my question on when I used to use one as a flagship and would go into autopilot for the ultra-long-range shots (but no Rally Fire Support active, I guess), combined with the more recent times when I was in the thick of things and saw only one or two beams go by, which isn't a very accurate metric either. ;)

For the Phase Skimmer, will there be a UI element to show what your current vector is? And if so, can it be made universal? It would really help with lining up those pesky Reaper shots. :D

I agree. It's not that there's no benefit to using it with a close-range build. The problem is that a Tachyon build will never see any of those drawbacks unless they were already screwed. Remember, three lances with a 50% damage bonus means that every six-and-a-half seconds, a Tachyon build can do 6,750 damage from across the map with no meaningful downsides (and don't forget 3,375 EMP damage on top of that, or "only" 2,250 if EMP isn't boosted).

Maybe just greatly increased weapon flux generation would work? With, say, +200% flux gen, it's more of an "I want you dead right now" thing, useful when your opponent has a weapon with a massive cooldown and you want them taken out before they can fire again. It also penalizes all builds equally.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:07:50 PM by arkmagius »

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 11:31:22 PM »

I just want to take a second to point out that I was completely right on the teleportation thing in that medusa screenie Alex posted.  ;)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 11:32:29 PM »

I just want to take a second to point out that I was completely right on the teleportation thing in that medusa screenie Alex posted.  ;)

I suppose you'll get that cookie then :)

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:23 PM »

I suppose you'll get that cookie then :)

Here is cookie
(>^.^)>#

Movementcat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »

Nice one Nice one, now i need some Grindy thing like XP Farming 2 keep me on the track :-)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »

Are you kidding me?

How about waiting to use it until a ship is about to overload or already overloading? Not like its going to put up a fight then is it? While you pore on an extra 50% damage on top of the up-to 50% high flux boost and you've got yourself some nasty damage right there. Combine it with either Autopulse Laser or the Plasma Cannon, the opponent is in for one hell of a surprise, armor means nothing at that point. Even a Tactical laser can do 125 damage at that point, thats half a High Intensity Laser mind you.

Here's a though, this extra damage doesn't seem to come at a cost in flux, so that's nice and efficient right there.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »

Super cool!

Loving the thought of the Venture / Vigilance becoming awesome Pilum platforms with the fast missile reload, and the drones are a very pleasant surprise!

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »

how is telefragging handled in the game?

(teleporting right into another object)
mmm.... tartiflette

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »

Can't wait to see this stuff in game :O

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:02 AM »

Nice new features we have here. I already drawing some new scetches for ISA and Aliens :)

Some questions i`d like to ask:

1. drones. Can a ship have drones and hangars for standard fighters? Are drones shown on the ship (attached) like turrets or do they just launch from bays? Is there a new hardpoint type for drone hangars?

2. ship systems. How do we put those on a ship? Via variants or through other ways? I ask because i`d like to know if those are hull-specified or variant-specified. If it is a variant-specified than all drones/flares etc. probably launch from the ships center...

3. teleportation. What happens if we intentionally teleport on any other ship? What happens if we do it unintentionally (skimmer type teleport)? I assume that there is some safe-guard code that prevents such collisions?

4. missile flares. Once again - are there any hardpoints for those? Or do they launch from the center of a ship? How much flares are launched?

Lastly - nice MOO2-ish names! I love how those classic things end up in this game with almost the same features.

And - congrats on finishing a really interesting combat element ;)

Ishikawa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 01:21:32 AM »

• Fortress Shield - drastically improves shield efficiency at the expense of a constant flux buildup and inability to fire weapons
    • Paragon
Hmm can't see much use for this but then i'm tactically challenged sometimes.

• High Energy Focus - boosts energy weapon damage by 50%, increases damage taken by 50%, can't use shields
    • Sunder, Aurora, Odyssey
I like this one, interesting tactics are already in my mind now.

• Phase Skimmer - teleports a fixed, short distance along the ship's current velocity vector
    • Wolf, Medusa
Okay my favorite ship (Medusa) just got more awesome...

"Full frontal shields, we have to get closer to the Onslaught! Set ramming course!"
"Sir? Are you..."
"Set the course Ensign!"
"Yes Sir!"
Seconds tick by
"Kill the engines, turn her around but keep shield alignment!"
"Yes Sir!"
"Wait for it..."
"Sir?"
"Wait..."
"Activate Phase Skimmer!"
*teleports behind the onslaught*
"Fire EVERYTHING!"