Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Noobs guide to modding starfarer!  (Read 15699 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: The Noobs guide to modding starfarer!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »

Got access to PS finally.

FINALLY!

Now wut?
Do you have any experiance coding ships into a game? or weapons?
Absolutely none!

Yay for ineptitude!
Woohoo, I use trylobots ship editor myself
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »

2nd major edit added to the topic, Requesting any help community members can give me as to where to go from there, Just post a reply here or pm me
- Albert Einstein

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 12:54:20 PM »

HOLY CRAP USE SPOILERS.
That's all I gotta say.  :P

For troubleshooting with missions, always check the top bar of code for the name of the mission.  Change it to the new name of the mission to prevent errors.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 02:19:07 PM »

HOLY CRAP USE SPOILERS.
That's all I gotta say.  :P

For troubleshooting with missions, always check the top bar of code for the name of the mission.  Change it to the new name of the mission to prevent errors.
Thanks for the feedback
- Albert Einstein

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »

Ok so I am giving this a try. I have made my ship, but a question or two. The ship you use in your example gives the appearance of depth in its color due to differing shades of colors. How do I duplicate that? The editor seems to want to color my ship pieces one color and refuses to give me ways of editing the shade on different parts of the piece or allow me to remove the interior lines. Also, is there anyway to change the parts size in the editor to create a layering effect?

*Edit* nvm I see now the first set of parts was the default BF parts that are meant to look that way. When you open another set it has the depth texture already built in. 2nd question still applies though XP
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:46:38 PM by Morrokain »

Killian

• Commander
  • I got 99 problems but a core breach ain't one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 12:04:36 AM »

Press 'F1' in shipmaker to get a full list of the controls.

Also, I should note for anyone building ships using SM, that rotated bits will look pretty blurry, and please, please understand what you're actually doing when putting ships together. If you do it well, you can make some amazing things, but if you do it badly, you can make some really, really awful things.

Sorry to use you as an example in your own tutorial thread, sprog, but your submissions in the Caelus thread are pretty... offensive to the eye, to put it bluntly. Way too heavy on the doodads and internally disorganized. Use of the DST sections isn't helping; they're quite hard to use properly. Armoredcookie's clean and smooth designs, on the other hand, are a good example of a better design you can pull off. Once you learn how to do things like glow effects and such, though, then you'll really take off, and be able to do nice carriers and so many other things.

SM is a useful tool, but it alone does not make you into a good shipbuilder. You still need to understand how to use it to make anything that looks good. Read the Shipmaker Info & Help forum. Be sure not to mix certain styles as they go badly together. Since you're designing ships with it, don't be afraid to sign up on the forums there to ask for feedback from people who know how things work. They're quiet but we don't bite (much).

I should feel it's also worth noting that you could turn the Starfarer weapon mount sprites into a format compatible with shipmaker and apply them to a ship as part of the construction process.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:10:49 AM by Arcalane »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 06:50:21 AM »

Press 'F1' in shipmaker to get a full list of the controls.

Also, I should note for anyone building ships using SM, that rotated bits will look pretty blurry, and please, please understand what you're actually doing when putting ships together. If you do it well, you can make some amazing things, but if you do it badly, you can make some really, really awful things.

Sorry to use you as an example in your own tutorial thread, sprog, but your submissions in the Caelus thread are pretty... offensive to the eye, to put it bluntly. Way too heavy on the doodads and internally disorganized. Use of the DST sections isn't helping; they're quite hard to use properly. Armoredcookie's clean and smooth designs, on the other hand, are a good example of a better design you can pull off. Once you learn how to do things like glow effects and such, though, then you'll really take off, and be able to do nice carriers and so many other things.

SM is a useful tool, but it alone does not make you into a good shipbuilder. You still need to understand how to use it to make anything that looks good. Read the Shipmaker Info & Help forum. Be sure not to mix certain styles as they go badly together. Since you're designing ships with it, don't be afraid to sign up on the forums there to ask for feedback from people who know how things work. They're quiet but we don't bite (much).

I should feel it's also worth noting that you could turn the Starfarer weapon mount sprites into a format compatible with shipmaker and apply them to a ship as part of the construction process.
I have only a little bit of experience within spriting and graphic design, hence the lack of details and due to my lack of proper image editing software there is only so much I can do
- Albert Einstein

Killian

• Commander
  • I got 99 problems but a core breach ain't one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 12:34:44 PM »

I have only a little bit of experience within spriting and graphic design, hence the lack of details and due to my lack of proper image editing software there is only so much I can do

What you can do is start practicing, and posting ships somewhere you can get good feedback on their design, then! Because, really, people can design some really good stuff.

Especially when they collaborate.

Oh, and another note; always make sure your ships are at default zoom before taking a screenshot for exporting to other programs. That avoids ugly blurring.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »

What you can do is start practicing, and posting ships somewhere you can get good feedback on their design, then! Because, really, people can design some really good stuff.

Oh, and another note; always make sure your ships are at default zoom before taking a screenshot for exporting to other programs. That avoids ugly blurring.
Ok
- Albert Einstein

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »

Sproginator, if tou could do ships like that...

O_O O_O O_O

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 02:25:25 PM »

Ok
These would actually fit in Starfarer....
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »

Was thinking the exact same thing about those ships.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »

Those ships look AWESOME. Somebody should drag those dudes here ASAP!  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »

Those ships look AWESOME. Somebody should drag those dudes here ASAP!  ;D

Prepare the fleet! ;)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »

Guys, those are just made from a parts pack?
- Albert Einstein

Pages: 1 [2] 3