Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship's Systems Suggestions  (Read 2507 times)

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Ship's Systems Suggestions
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »

Hello all.  

Vandala  suggested I make a suggestion concerning my suggestion, so here it is in the Suggestion subforum, where I'm overexploiting the opportunity to overuse the word suggestion. Suggestions ensue.

Since we're getting Ship Systems soon, it does seem prudent however to try spark a wider thread concerning people's ideas for ship systems to be implemented in-game (or at least have the relevant tweakables added.) z: )

My three suggestions are thus:

Shield Focus

A togglable system which allows a ship to shrink it's shield diameter in exchange for shield efficiency.  

This system would provide for dynamic shield usage, particularly for narrow ships, which are currently disadvantaged by hugh shield bubbles massively expanding their frontal profile (and yes, I do make and like narrow ships with thin frontal profiles.)  This would allow a ship to alternate between the normally decent tactical protection and a thin, tough shield for head-on confrontations with other ships of a similar or larger size class, making it better able to evade and deflect that target's fire at the cost of added vulnerability to flank attacks and strike craft.

Sub-Suggestions:  Elliptical shield bubbles and custom shield effects. ^.^

Shield-Armour Brace

The shield bubble disappears and armour temporarily triples as the ship's hull shimmers with the colour of its shield effect.

Whilst ideally this system would split damage taken (2/1 ratio) between the ship's flux capacity and armour (obiously a double-edged sword as both take a beating) for ten seconds (requiring a cooldown of 20 seconds) I imagine it would be far less of a headache to code a system which temporarily sets the ship's shield type to none and applies a constant flux drain (1,5x shield upkeep) in order to temporarily treble the remaining armour of the ship.  Perfect for strike runs and limping tactical withdrawals alike.

Surge System

Any tap or press of the control to this system empties capacitors throughout the ship... energy weapons double in damage (their beams and bolts should widen!) and quadruple in flux cost.

You wouldn't want to use this system all the time because it will throw your ship's combat flux efficiency straight into the space toilet (the more powerful weapons may not fire at all,) but for the desperate or the expertly opportunistic, it can allow for a thrilling and decisive blow just as it's needed the most.  Subsequent quips are required by regulations.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:53:20 PM by Starlight »
Starlight; Vulpine Space-Adventurer.  Fond of lasers.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship's Systems Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »

I like the Shield Focus idea.

I'm not sure about the Shield-Armor Brace system, since I'm not sure when I'd actually use it. If my shields are down, chances are I want all my flux reserves for weapons.

The Surge Systems I think is a bad idea, considering how easily it could be manipulated. Create a super flux efficient ship and watch as everything you fire blows away the enemy.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:40:25 AM »

Aye, I can see the potential for a abuse of the Surge System - but these are ship systems we are talking about here.  They're affixed to a certain ship and cannot be changed.  So frankly you wouldn't put a system like that one on a ship where you could have 16k flux.  You'd put it on one on which you're really going to suffer if you try and overuse the system - remember, flux efficiency in combat is everything.  If you're paying double the cost for your damage as compared with your oppenent, it means that they are winning. 

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:58:37 AM »

We already have something like the surge system, so its not really necessary to have another.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 05:19:18 AM »

True, but we don't have THIS one.  Which has cool, intensified beam effects.  This is a short, more efficient burn as opposed to a long burn. 

Though really what I'm hoping for is some extra control over beam effects.  z: )

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:30:41 AM »

Hmm, that is true, but we haven't seen the system in action just yet, who knows, maybe we get extra wide beams and such. Would be cool.