Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Blue Post" Archive  (Read 11178 times)

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
"Blue Post" Archive
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »

Alternate title: Alex sez. I expect updates to be desultory but persistent. I've probably forgotten something; questions will remind me. Similarly, I should probably list some of the more significant patch notes, but don't want to guess at which ones are significant. This turned out to be mainly about armour. (I still think armour works intuitively overall, but the exact details aren't. Though for me this just makes the details interesting.)

Since 0.5, the manual has incorrectly listed explosive damage vs. armour, it is now 200%.

Armour reduces damage according to the 1/(1+x) function. Specifically: actual damage = base damage * base damage / (armor value + base damage) Where 'base damage' is damage after armour/shield multipliers. 'Base damage' for beam weapons is half its per-second dps.

The armour cells have about 1/8th of the armour rating each, but nearby cells contribute, including ones outside the official ship bounds. Cells further away contribute less. Speculation: the cells take damage directly proportional to how much armour they contributed, and a shot will do hull damage when its armour calculation includes a cell with no armour, again proportional to how much that cell would have contributed to armour. Missiles seem to be good at punching out all 21 cells at once, meaning a perfect hole gets opened.

Armour cannot reduce damage below or 25% or 1/4. Again, after armour/shield multipliers, so kinetic does 12.5% or 1/8, frag does 6.3% or 1/16, explosive does 50%, energy does 25%. For all weapons, the threshold is three times (3x) their versus armour damage. Weapons hit 50% max damage at equal armour (1x).

Remember alpha is alpha - the stations have a stopgap code that limits their inventory to 100 stacks of inventory stuff, and 50 units of ships, to prevent the stations from simply overflowing with crap. This means you can restart stalled deliveries by buying everything from one station and then selling it to another or jettisoning it into space.

Weapons have an 'impact' parameter, but only the graviton beam uses it, because it didn't work out. However, this means grav beams will spin out fighters they hit, effectively paralyzing them.

The fleet speed of a ship is 100 + combat speed / 2.

The damage boost for flux works on energy mounts, not energy damage type, because they're apparently hooked directly into the ship's power distribution system.

The Conquest has an apparently terrible shield efficiency so that Alex could give it more firepower without making it tougher to kill.

Crew effects are listed on their tooltip in the inventory screen.

Hardpoint mounts have double the HP.

(Thanks Thaago) Percentile increases are additive, percentile decreases are multiplicative. In math, BASE * (X% + Y% + Z%) * -Q% * -R%

In the next patch,
You retreat the flagship by facing a nearby retreat border and hitting enter, instead of simply colliding with the edge and saying yes to a pop-up.
Pre-combat ship tooltips can be expanded with F1.

Modding

(Thanks Wyvern) Hardpoints get rendered before turrets, then small points get rendered before large, then racked missiles get rendered before other weapons types. If you want to render a decoration under everything else, using a small hardpoint will help. If you want it rendered over everything else, use a large turret.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:02:17 PM by Alrenous »

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: "Blue Post" Archive
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »

Inventory limits are a bit higher then 100 i think and IMPACT parameter work ONLY on fighters not on any other ships. Any weapon not just graviton can have IMPACT parameter but it will work only on fighters.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »

IMPACT parameter work ONLY on fighters not on any other ships. Any weapon not just graviton can have IMPACT parameter but it will work only on fighters.

Impact works on everything - it's just it works much better on fighters; it makes them spin, while larger ships will only be slightly slowed.  If you're actively thrusting, the slow won't do much - but if you're trying to coast past at full no-flux-boosted speed with your shields up, the effect of impact quickly becomes obvious.  (At least for frigates; larger ships may be too massive to notice even that; I haven't tested it.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »

Thanks for collecting all this info into one place!

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:11:09 AM »

Stalker much  :D But thanks.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »

The Conquest has an apparently terrible shield efficiency so that Alex could give it more firepower without making it tougher to kill.

I think it is great, since the idea of battlecruisers is to outrun what you can't outgun. If shield efficiency is giving you issues, back off and vent. (I first heard the outrun/outgun thing in the Civilopedia! The first one, I think.)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »

Its been a while, but this really belongs here:

If you combine Stabilized Shields with Front Shield Emitter, you get 0 flux/sec upkeep for shields. If Fortress Shield's hard flux buildup rate is dependent on shield upkeep, how might you change things based on that, if at all?

In the dev build, percentile reductions are multiplicative specifically to avoid this kind of thing - even more potential cases come up with skill-based effects. Percentile increases are still additive.

So, if you have two -50% modifiers, the final result is 25% of the base value.

Also, +50% and -50% don't cancel out - the final result is 75% of the base value, since the percentile reduction is expressed as a multiplier and is applied to the final value after the percentile increase.

I've reduced some penalties to reflect this.

The formula is:
IncreaseMult = (100 + <sum of all percentage increases>) * 0.01
ReductionMult = product of (1 - <percentage reduction> * 0.01) for all percentage reductions
FinalValue = BaseValue * IncreaseMult * ReductionMult

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »

Quick question: is there any way to determine the render order of weapons? I've got large decorative weapons that seem to randomly overlap certain weapons.
All the hardpoints get rendered before all turrets.
Within that, larger sizes get rendered last.
Within each size, racked missiles (i.e. like Harpoon, not like Swarmer) get rendered first.

After that, it's not deterministic. So, you want a small hardpoint - that won't quite take care of everything, but at least all the turrets (i.e, the stuff that moves a lot) will be over it.

(Aside: Given that this thread is linked to from a pinned thread, and still contains otherwise hard to find but useful information, I'm assuming it's outside the usual limits for necro-posting.  And am therefore posting this here, where I might have a chance at finding it again when I actually need it.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:44:06 AM »

Aside: Given that this thread is linked to from a pinned thread, and still contains otherwise hard to find but useful information, I'm assuming it's outside the usual limits for necro-posting.  And am therefore posting this here, where I might have a chance at finding it again when I actually need it.

Yes, this is fully OK, it's the point of this thread after all. The rules about necroing have been updated btw.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Recoil and other oddities
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »

things i had to look up that weren't properly documented ingame or in the wiki
RECOIL (gunnery implants)
Some weapons (i.e. most ballistics) lose accuracy when they fire for extended periods of time. You can see the arc that each shot can actually go in by looking at the dots on the firing arc - they spread out as accuracy is lost. Gunnery Implants reduces this inaccuracy.
ECCM (hull mod)
Code

stats.getMissileMaxSpeedBonus().modifyPercent(id, 10f);
stats.getMissileAccelerationBonus().modifyPercent(id, 100f);
stats.getMissileMaxTurnRateBonus().modifyPercent(id, 10f);
stats.getMissileTurnAccelerationBonus().modifyPercent(id, 50f);
EXPANDED MAGAZINES (hull mod) - actually nothing's coming up in searches for what weapons benefit currently. from playing around in the simulator it looks like 'charges' (equation looks like base+base*1.5), but outside combat the quickstats still show only the base. i assume it would be the same for ammo for nonreplenishing ballistics

i think that's about it i can think of, upon coming back to the game and getting confused